Device update fauilure

Hello,
Today the Vero 4K+ prompted for a new update. I ran it, and it did not complete successfully. There was an error installing “vero3-device-osmc”. It seems this was a big update, because a lot of files were being installed. After the Vero rebooted, it came back up, but the TVHeadend server will not start anymore. When I try to reinstall the vero3-device-osmc file manually, I get an error too. Also, when I try to run update manually I get timeout when Vero connects to ftp.fau.de. There are no issues with connectivity to the internet, and ftp.fau.de is pingable. it seems there’s a problem with ftp.fau.de, but I am not completely sure about it. Additionally, I noticed that when Vero boots up, there are are failures for the RPC.

Can this issue/update be resolved without reinstalling the OSMC image? I don’t want to lose any data, especially for the TVHeadend.

Thank you.

smc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall vero3-device.osmc
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘vero3-device-osmc’ for regex ‘vero3-device.osmc’
Reinstallation of vero3-device-osmc is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
You might want to run ‘apt --fix-broken install’ to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
vero3-device-osmc : Depends: armv7-diskmount-osmc but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt --fix-broken install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /debian buster InRelease
Hit:3 Index of /debian buster-updates InRelease
Err:4 Index of /osmc/osmc/apt buster InRelease
Could not connect to ftp.fau.de:80 (131.188.12.211), connection timed out
Reading package lists… Done
W: Failed to fetch http://apt.osmc.tv/dists/buster/InRelease Could not connect to ftp.fau.de:80 (131.188.12.211), connection timed out
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

osmc@osmc:~$ ping ftp.fau.de
PING ftp.fau.de (131.188.12.211): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: seq=0 ttl=53 time=162.057 ms
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: seq=1 ttl=53 time=164.181 ms
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: seq=2 ttl=53 time=158.388 ms

ftp.fau.de ping statistics —
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 158.388/161.542/164.181 ms

Please see

Cannot connect to ftp.fau.de:80 when running sudo apt update.

You should be able to check for updates again without issue

I can see that you’ve updated to Debian Buster, which is still experimental. If you continue to experience issues, it’s best posting in that test thread.

Sam

Thanks. i didn’t know Debian Buster is an experimental version of the OS. Can I back out to the stable version?

No – this is not possible.

But you would have had to have updated to Debian Buster manually.
It has however been well received, so should be stable for day to day use and we plan to release it within a couple of weeks as a stable update.

The updating issue is resolved. The device took the big update again and the installation succeeded without any issues. Thank you again.

Glad to hear this. Apologies for the downtime.