Display more information when selecting artwork from IMDB

So I’ve noticed that when selecting something like what poster to use all you get is a small thumbnail.
Many posters on TMDB are not in the correct aspect ratio of 1:1.5 and this causes some issues with how they are displayed in the skin.
When you go to view the available poster on TMDB’s website it gives you information like who uploaded it, what the resolution is, and it will put a check mark if the aspect ratio is correct and an X mark if it’s incorrect.
Would it be possible to show some of this information in OSMC so we can make sure we are choosing artwork with the correct aspect ratio?

That information is not available to us. The whole dialog that shows up when you choose fanart is actually entirely controlled by Kodi and not by skins.

Kodi is good at getting basic artwork that is related to the movie, but if you care about details, you should use a standalone artwork downloader. All of them give you more information and a better UI than what is built in to Kodi.

Can you give me an example of a stand alone artwork downloader?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Library_managers

Oh, I was thinking about something that ran on the OSMC.
I’ve used some of those before but a little overkill for what I’m looking to do.

So just out of curiosity, is that information not passed to Kodi through the API or something?

No

1 Like

If you care about exact aspect ratio, sizes, etc., those tools are the only ones that will allow you to see the info and pick what you are looking for.

When I couldn’t find artwork that fit my quality standards, I made my own. I think installing software to help you pick what’s already out there is far less “overkill”.

Yeah, I make my own all the time as well.
But sometimes there’s no need to reinvent the wheel.
I just get my laptop open and view them on the website and then pick it within OSMC.

Let me give you an example of what I was hoping to avoid.
So I wanted a cover for Willy Wonka that matched the source Bluray’s cover art since it was a the “40th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition”
See here: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Blu-ray (DigiPack)
So when browsing in OSMC there are like three that match what I’m looking for but the first one is not the correct aspect ratio so it causes artifacts in the skin (as mentioned here: Weird artefacts on posters)
So when I go to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) - Posters — The Movie Database (TMDB) I can see that poster 12, 14, and 19 all match the look I’m going for but only the last one has a correct aspect ratio.
So now going back to the OSMC interface I know to pick the last one.
But usually I pick the first one that “looks” right only to find out later on that it starts to produce artifacts.
Of course, TMDb could also just reject submissions that don’t meet their requirements instead of allowing them.

Please familiarize yourself with our updated image contribution guidelines.

Posters must meet the following criteria:

• A maximum resolution of 2000x3000
  • A minimum resolution of 500x750
  • Aspect ratio of 1:1.5 (2:3)