DNR filter

When can we expect a permanent fix for this? Do we have to wait until the next major update?

Stay tuned.

Wow, Iā€™m so glad I found this after an hour of searching all possible terms!

I have also just noticed this. I was wondering why the old issue of ā€œdark parts of faces trailing behind lit partsā€ was back that I had issues with in 2011 on older TVs. Everything was ghosting and in one scene with strobe lights today I had very weird double contoures of objects.

Then I tested the same video on my PC and it looked crystal clear, so I knew it wasnā€™t a bad file or my TV. It only happens on Vero 4k+ OSMC with hardware acceleration on.

The command above fixed the issue. The image quality is drastically better - the skin pores arenā€™t blurred from the slightest movement and have far more detail now, dark parts arenā€™t trailing behind lit parts anymore. Also the strobe light scene is fine.

Looking forward to a permanent fix! Until then, Iā€™ll put this command into autostart.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for the feedback

Hi, I would just like to report, that I have exactly the same problem since the December update on my Vero 4kplus. This can be clearly seen in three movies so far. I was totally surprised because this problem hadnā€™t actually existed for years. So far I havenā€™t had the time to check whether this problem also exists with the newly arrived Vero V because Iā€™m still busy with other things at the moment. I would be very happy if the problem could be solved with the next update. Thank you.

It doesnā€™t. The problem seems to be a regression from improving deinterlacing quality on Vero V.

The short (and possibly long term solution) would be to leave deinterlacing as it was on Vero 4K and only feature the improvements on Vero V.

Additionally: I didnā€™t notice the problem right at the beginning (after the Update). First, and then equally pronounced, from around the fourth or fifth movie. I then looked at the metadata - it was a 25fps film. I then checked a movie with 24fps and the problem was not visible here. When I checked again another 25fps movie, the effect was clearly visible again. Regarding the frame rate, maybe itā€™s just a coincidence, but I donā€™t want to leave it unmentioned.

Just want to chime in that I have the same issue.
I only updated to the latest update today and just now was watching a new episode of a series and in darker areas it was dragging and shifting. Really horrible to watch.
Tried a few things but nothing helped.
With the temporary command line command itā€™s indeed improved.

1 Like

The short (and possibly long term solution) would be to leave deinterlacing as it was on Vero 4K and only feature the improvements on Vero V.

I think thatā€™s the best and quickest action. I have not had any issues with video quality before and tbf, how much interlaced content is there nowadays? The retro collectors will weep, maybe. But on a 4k device, progressive SD and especially HD to UHD quality should have priority.

DVD remuxes, blu ray remuxes of British or other European TV shows, and a great deal of broadcast TV that can be either played or recorded via a terrestrial digital or satellite decoder.

Good to know (and also quite shocking how much is still interlaced). Then I hope the previous deinterlacing technique on 4k+ was usable enough if no other fix can be found.

Will revert it back today so it will work well on Vero V but unfortunately be limited on Vero 4K/4K+

So does this only affect interlaced content?

Progressive and interlaced on vero 4k should play like they did before the last update, so best we can do for progressive but not the best for interlaced. Whatā€™s new with this update is that the bypass_all parameter does something but is set to 1 by default. Dr Who fans can however enter

echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all

to get back the deinterlacing same as it is right now. Not ideal but attempts to get Kodi to accurately recognise the sort of interlacing that benefits from bypass_all == 0 have so far failed. Thereā€™s a limit to what we can get out of ffmpeg. Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a will to continue looking into this or to bring this setting out to Kodi just for Vero 4k.

Vero V doesnā€™t seem to have a problem with this. The ā€˜deinterlacerā€™, which actually does more than just reassembling interlaced fields, is always engaged on V.

Dr Who fans can however enter
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all
to get back the deinterlacing same as it is right now

Can you make it an option in the UI menu, so that one donā€™t have to SSH to the Vero4k when one want to watch a interlaced movie?

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a good idea as itā€™s a somewhat corner case and userā€™s might not be sure of what it does.

You should be able to keymap it doing something likeā€¦

nano ~/interlace.py

and paste in the followingā€¦

import subprocess

cmd = '/bin/bash /home/osmc/interlace.sh'

results = subprocess.run(
    cmd, shell=True, universal_newlines=True, check=True)
print(results.stdout)

and then make the script (which wouldnā€™t be needed If I know how to write it using python)ā€¦

nano ~/interlace.sh

with something like the followingā€¦

#!/bin/bash

file="/sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all"

if grep -q "1" $file; then
    echo 0 | sudo tee $file
    kodi-send -a "Notification(Enhanced Deinterlacing,Enabled,1000)"
else
    echo 1 | sudo tee $file
    kodi-send -a "Notification(Enhanced Deinterlacing,Disabled,1000)"
fi

Add permissions to these two files you madeā€¦

chmod +x interlace.sh interlace.py

And then you can test to make sure it works with something like this at the terminalā€¦

kodi-send -a 'RunScript(/home/osmc/interlace.py)' && cat /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all

Each time you run that it should show it switching between 0 or 1. Once you have confirmed that it is actually working through Kodi then you can just keymap it which would look something like this if you wanted the home button of an OSMC remote as the trigger to turn this on or off during video playbackā€¦

nano ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/interlace.xml

Using something likeā€¦

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
	<FullscreenVideo>
		<keyboard>
			<escape>RunScript(/home/osmc/interlace.py)</escape>
		</keyboard>
	</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

And then reload the keymaps to enable this fileā€¦

kodi-send -a reloadkeymaps

EDIT: Added a Kodi notification to the script to provide proper feedback to the setting getting toggled.

2 Likes

Do you mean rc.local with autostart? Or a different approach? I was reading up on things because I ordered a Vero V and stumbled upon this thread and realized I have this issue too on my Vero 4K. Had this issue with 1080P material though and not with 4K yet.
Washed out faces and background. Glad it is an easy fix, though a big impact and I just assumed it was the quality of the two movies, hard to know about these issues without going into the forums.

That sounds like a colourspace conversion problem or full/limited quantisation mis-match. Are you saying that command line fixed that as well as the OPā€™s issue?

Maybe I didnā€™t express myself well enough, but I experienced the same as the person above and the command solved it indeed. Bought a new projector and thought that was the issue. As 4K was perfect, but FHD wasnā€™t.