Does OSMC work on Raspberry pi 4?

Doses OSMC support the Raspberry pi 4? If so, how does video playback preform? If not, how long until it is supported?

Not yet, but support will be added ‘soon’.

Software decoding will be possible after the release, so this will be limited to 1080p.
More details are on the blog.

1 Like

I’m optimistic they will do better than that. I prefer OSMC, but the alpha release of LibreELEC has very impressive hardware support on the Pi4 already.

Test files: http://jell.yfish.us/

jellyfish-90-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit plays perfectly, no dropped frames. Low CPU.

jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit looks very good but some dropped frames. Still low CPU.

jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264 plays far worse than the hevc-10bit version for some reason. Call it alpha issues probably.

Pi4 doesn’t support H264 above 1080p which is why the last jellyfish clip does not work well.

We will introduce hardware acceleration with Kodi v19 (and nightlies) with V4L2/GBM. The HW method currently used by LE is a stopgap and deprecated. It will shortly be removed as a video acceleration pathway from Kodi.

I have explained this in detail in the blog post

@sam_nazarko Any update on the Raspberry Pi 4 ? (and Kodi v19) since July 9th ?

Thanks for the great work !

1 Like

Pi4 still being worked on.

Kodi v19 nightlies are being built, er, nightly (well, almost).

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on this :slight_smile:

RPi4B just came to my home … how´s OSMC going for this? Thank you.

It’s still being worked on.

And how about Netflix and Amazon?

They use mmal at the moment.

Will that work?

Is there any way to test a beta build from osmc?
I get my raspberry 4 at christmas 2019.
It`s a gift from my son.

Not atm no.
Sam did mention it’ll be available by December but its all gone a bit quiet, he has a lot on his plate I think.

Netflix and Amazon uses software decoding, not MMAL (hardware acceleration).

1 Like

Shouldn’t you start a separate donation pool for pi4 osmc to accelerate the development?

Thanks, but it won’t make much of a difference. I have the hardware but don’t find a lot of time to work on it.

I’m actually thinking of removing or revamping the donations section on the website as it’s rare to get a donation. We raised $40 in the whole of 2019 so far. Considering the size of our userbase, that’s quite low. Fortunately the project is still well-funded through hardware sales to cover things like hosting

Sam

It took me quite a bit of time to find the donation button just now.
I started looking for it after your comment, because I thought that after this amount of time having it running on my rpi (although probably not using it for quite so many hours as some people on here) you/the team should get something back. Thank you for all the time and effort!!

Might be a good idea to revamp the donations section, maybe place it under the contribute menu header?

I will rework it a bit when we update the website

Sam

I’ve tested a Kodi manual install with OSMC on the Pi 4 and found issues with stability and picture quality. Pi 4 is the future though, when OSMC supports it. Makes the UI absolutely fly.

Hi there, I don’t suppose there is an update for a support with the pi 4? I need a new pi but cant seem to get a pi3+ due to stock levels. They have the pi 4 but at present I know its not supported as of yet.

Not yet - I will post an update when everything is ready.