Does OSMC work on Raspberry pi 4?

hi sam, thats great news. I’ve been looking at vero. Does it more or less run the same as kodi on a the pi? Are there any offers on at the moment for buying a vero direct from you?

Well if obviously run faster than on the Pi because of faster CPU and faster Storage. Also as you have more memory you can run more memory hungry addons.

If you are referring to ‘familiarity’ – i.e. will it behave the same as OSMC on a Pi, then it is functionally similar. So your add-ons etc will work the same.

There’s no sale presently, but we are still shipping them in time for Christmas in the UK.

I have try to install OSMC on Raspberry Pi 4, don’t work , I get stuck on the screen where there’s the rainbow square :frowning:

There will be an update on the blog, when its supported:

1 Like

The 4 has been a big seller for Xmas. Really looking forward to a compatible release.

1 Like

I see on : Supported Devices - General - OSMC

OSMC runs on all models of Raspberry Pi prior to the Pi 4.

So, it’s compatible ?! :smile:

Prior meaning any model before Pi 4.

1 Like

Any updates on when the Pi 4 will be supported for OSMC?

As already stated, there will be a message on the blog when it’s ready.

Since Raspberry PI 4B is almost a year old, would be very nice to have a list of points that are delaying OSMC support. Maybe some other people could contribute.

Nowaday, after a year, we have no idea of why PI4B is not supported, when it is going to be supported and how could we help out.

A checklist of issues updated frequently would be very nice. Even if nobody could help, we could see some kind of progress. Now we don’t know anything at all and, sincerely, after a year, I wonder about the future of OSMC.

My opinion, of course :).

Thanks.

1 Like

Actually, this should be explained pretty clearly on the blog, including the limitations that will exist when OSMC is indeed supported on this device. This is a completely new device. While we’ll have a release soon, it’s going to take a long time for the support to mature. Fortunately, we made this clear at the time to manage expectations.

It now makes sense to use the Aarch64 kernel and armhf userland approach, as we do for Vero 4K/4K+. This will take some more time.

I’ve been taking more time to get things right and work out the best approach in my head. As the initial release will be limited to 1080p (software decoding) for some time for v18 builds; there’s no immediate urgency to rush something out which will not provide a better experience (from a video playback perspective) than existing Pi models. I’m always short on time, so waiting for the dust to settle on some upstream improvements has also helped and removed the need to re-work things multiple times.

Sam

3 Likes

I’m sure some of you have seen the announcement of the 8GB Pi4 Model and the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS.

This is one of the reasons why we wanted to target an Aarch64 kernel and this requires extra work. We will however stick with an armhf userland as we’re not sure we will have a benefit for 8GB with OSMC for individual processes and we’re also unsure of how many people will use an 8GB board for OSMC duties. If we switched to a pure Aarch64 (kernel and userland) environment, we’d lose support for supporting InputStream add-ons with Widevine like Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video, as they currently use a Widevine library from the Chromebook (armhf) image.

Raspberry Pi continue to provide us with all models in advance and we are grateful of this, so work to support this board revision is also underway.

Cheers

Sam

2 Likes

As far as I can see, Ubuntu 64bit Server, and Raspbian 64bit also use aarch64 bit Kernel

Raspbian 64bit

Linux raspberrypi 5.4.42-v8+ #1319 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 20 14:18:56 BST 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 20.04 64bit

Linux ubuntu 5.4.0-1011-raspi #11-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 8 07:43:33 UTC 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

And it looks like the nice things are not on system yet on the Rasbian Pi “OS” Link

Known issues

1. There is no hardware video acceleration in VLC or Chromium

Actuall Raspbian 32bit

Linux server 4.19.118-v7l+ #1311 SMP Mon Apr 27 14:26:42 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

Yes, both Ubuntu 64-bit and Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit) use an aarch64 kernel, but also userland. I’d rather do Aarch64 kernel and armhf userland (same as we do on 4K/4K+).

1 Like

Looking foward to it

Hi Sam, Hope you are doing well.
Just wanted to check if OSMC is coming on Raspberry Pi 4 anytime soon… is there any update?

Yes, but we have to release Debian Buster first.

Sam

Thanks for the reply Sam.
Do you have any timeline planned for the RPi4 OSMC release?

Hopefully this year :joy::joy::joy: