DTS-HD-MA and pass through

Just got my Vero 4K, all is set up and seem to be working well, however I have just tried playing a bluray rip via a smb share and the video plays flawlessly, but the audio is missing entirely.

I have passthrough set up, I have all options ticked in terms of the supported output, my amp supports DTS-HD-MA and the audio output from the Vero 4K to my amp is via optical.

If I switch the audio track to AC3 (audio description) it will play after stopping and restarting, but I would rather not watch a movie like that :slight_smile:

Is there something obvious I might have missed in th set up?

EDIT: I should add the rip is in fact a 4K rip rather than a standard bluray

Ok in that case i can tell you an optical cable is not able to play HD-Audio codecs because the bandwidth of an optical cable is to less.

you have to play video and audio via HDMI otherwhise there will be no HD-Audio.

And BTW passthrough is an HDMI feature so this takes no effect on an optical output

I hate to disagree but passthrough surely means “without re-encoding or transcoding” and isn’t specific to HDMI?

If this was the case, how is it then when playing back a Dolby Digital bluray rip with passthrough enabled, i get Dolby Digital, however when i disable passthrough, i only get stereo?

Yor are right about passthrough, but @Painkiller88 is still right about optical s/pdif not supporting hd audio. 5.1 dts / dolby digital is the best it will do

If passthrough is enabled but you are listening via SPDIF, you’ll get the (core) passed through. Enable expert settings, make sure everything is configured correctly.

Take a screenshot of your audio settings, and maybe a screenshot of audio settings when playing back the clip so we can see available streams.

Screenshots of settings:

http://i.imgur.com/QHW7c66.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OrSiYgZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fK5yRT3.jpg

Whilst Playing:

http://i.imgur.com/LY1mafJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/etOCr7W.jpg

A further google search does seem to suggest, or at least the common consensus is that DTS-HD is a no no over SPDIF, indeed after some fiddling (and a few panicked moments where i thought i had goosed my PS4 Pro) i have worked out that indeed everything i have will output DTS-HD via HDMI, but not via optical.

I would also add that, if i disable the option for DTS-HD, I do get ordinary DTS which is reasonable enough, but I am one of those perfectionists that want the best just because its there and i can (in theory)

You can’t get DTS-HD over SPDIF. You need HDMI for this. This isn’t a Vero 4K limitation. But it sounds like you’re doing DTS-HD with other devices using HDMI, so if you have enough ports, you can just connect the Vero 4K in the same way.

BTW: your audio settings aren’t quite correct; you should actually set your output to SPDIF, not PCM.

Also flip those settings to Expert to see everything

1 Like

Yeah i wasn’t calling out the Vero as the fault, initially it was if i was missing something obvious in terms of settings, but in actual fact it was that i just can’t do it via optical.

Unfortunately my amp has plenty of ports, but it doesn’t support HDCP 2.2 although it does support 4k, therefore everything that supports 4K has to go through a 5x1 HDMI switch to the one and only 4k and HDCP 2.2 port on my TV.

Sadly, this means once i have put everything back together, about the only device i can get DTS-HD from currently is my Bluray player.

On the subject of the output device, the only options i have are PCM or HDMI, there isn’t an option for SPDIF…

Get yourself a copy of MakeMKV and an external drive (preferably a powered drive). Rip all your BluRays to the drive. Works great and no more getting up to swap discs :wink:

That would free up a port to connect the 4K to :smiley:

I am already well covered for network storage, but that doesn’t help solve my DTS-HD problem as i have to bypass the AMP for HDCP reasons, therefore my only option is to utilise the AMP via optical.

I bought the TV and AMP 3 years ago when 4k was in its infancy and Panasonic clearly thought no one was every going to want more than one 4k HDMI socket (despite the set having 3 other HDMI ports and a display port) and when Marantz designed my amp, they clearly thought adding HDCP 2.2 to an AMP that supports 4k was a waste of time…

Late here.

HDMI / SPDIF Is what you want.
Although the SoC has a dual audio path, so this is why you haven’t noticed any issues yet.

Sam

Well, if can get DTS-HD from your BluRay player, replacing it with the Vero 4K would solve your lack of ports problem, wouldn’t it? Of course you would need a BluRay reader on a PC, but in the long run (for convenience) it’s worth it!

Menus / convenience of chucking a disc in and just watching it probably means the Vero 4K isn’t quite a replacement for a Blu-ray player yet.

Sam, what I should have said there was when I try to select the output device, the options are “AML-M8AUDIO, PCM” or “AML-M8AUDIO, HDMI”, there isn’t a third option that includes SPDIF, should there be?

Sorry – I wasn’t clear.

For streaming via HDMI or SPDIF, just select HDMI. The point is that you shouldn’t be using the PCM output. i’ll likely rename the output to HDMI / SPDIF in the future to make this more clear.

Cheers

Sam

I think you have misunderstood, I currently have a TV that only has a single HDMI port that will accept 4k content, the 3 other sockets will only accept 1080p on the TV.

I then have a Marantz AVR for Audio that accepts 4K content, but doesn’t support HDCP 2.2, which means in essence i cannot connect anything 4K via it

I then have a PS4 Pro, Sky Q satellite Box and a Vero 4K that all support 4k, but in the case of the Sky box and the PS4 pro, HDCP 2.2 is an absolute must, therefore i had to invest in a 5 port HDMI switch that supports 4k/60 and HDCP 2.2 so the Sky box, Vero and PS4 can all connect to that one 4k port on the TV.

I can only get DTS-HD from the Bluray player by virtue of the fact it is a standard bluray player that can feed directly into the AMP via HDMI, the video output of the amp is then connected to an entirely different HDMI socket on the TV (one of the 3x 1080p sockets).

In my desperation i even tried connecting the output of the AMP to the HDMI switch, but nothing liked that because i basically would have the Vero > Amp > Switch > TV, I am only surprised i didn’t tear a hole in the space time continuum which such a chain of device :slight_smile:

Ok Sam, I get you now, much appreciated

1 Like

I think I understand your setup now. Basically, none of your 4K devices can handle DTS-HD with your current setup, only the BD player since it’s directly connected to the AMP. What about using ARC? (I have no experience with ARC, since my AMP is a 20 year old Yamaha with no HDMI or DTS-HD support :wink: At least my TV is a little more modern than that; it does support 4K)