Duplicate entries on latest show

I have the newest OSMC release installed with only a single source smb source for TV shows and appear to get duplicate shows for the latest show of a series. Cleaning the DB doesn’t get rid of them and if I manually delete it then it gets recreated next time the drive gets scanned. The first entry listed is also unplayable, when selected nothing happens and some times when selected a second time it will prompt you to continue from some number of minutes in the show but still nothing happens. The second entry works as expected.

Ideas?

Using the context menu to bring up the video information on each of the two entries will show their source. Compare to see if there are differences.

Possible these shows are extracted from .rar files which remain in a location within the share which are not removed after extraction?

I tried that, sadly I could not find the file location in the gui. But after digging through the DB I have found the source of my problem. The drive is littered with ._* files! This is because OSX finder likes to leave these laying around… How do people get around this? I’ve deleted them all but they will be created the next time I copy a file over. :\

PS this explains why the episode was not playable, it isn’t actually a video file!

I’ve seen this issue if there are a sample folder in the same directory as the main movie/TV show under Windows.

Seems like the solution is in #4 in this topic on the Kodi forums:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=66709

renesdk, perfect! I think that is exactly what I am looking for. Seems downright wrong on a unix system to scan for .* files… Ah well.

Soluition? Tinkertool: TinkerTool: Description

I’m agreeing that it makes no sense to scan for that, but it’s a choice the Kodi team has made in their contents scraper, and is not a specific OSMC issue :smile:

So the best answer I’ve found so far is to add this to your “~/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml” file (create it if it doesn’t exist, which it doesn’t by default.) This will get it to ignore files that start with ._ during scans!

It seems to me this could be an option somewhere in the GUI to make it a little more friendly seeing as this question is repeated many many times.

<advancedsettings>
<video>
	<excludefromscan action="append">
		<regexp>[\\/]\.\_</regexp>
		<regexp>\.AppleDouble</regexp>
	</excludefromscan>
	<excludetvshowsfromscan action="append">
	</excludetvshowsfromscan>
</video>

Apparently this is a bug and has been fixed in Kodi and will be included in the next media centre update according to the following post:

Library Update Missing Files

Does anybody know if this fix has already been rolled-out to Vero? I guess not since I am getting the issue on my new Vero. How can I tell if/when this will be fixed? Meanwhile I am going to try to figure out how to create and add the advancedsettings.xml file on my Vero. If anybody has more detailed instructions I would really appreciate it as I am completely new to this.

Many thanks!

http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml

Thanks for the link. I had already created the file. I was looking for more of a step by step guide to installing the advancedsettings.xml file on my Vero. I think I have figured it out though. I used an SFTP client on my Mac to copy it to “~/.kodi/userdata/” and restarted the Vero. Just waiting to see if it has fixed the issue. In case others read this, apparently it’s important that the file is saved in ASCII plain text format. I used TextEdit on the Mac. Use the ‘Make Plain Text’ command from the Format menu and when saving the file you can click on the “Plain Text Encoding” dropdown menu, select the “Customise Encodings List” option and then you can find the “Western (ASCII)” encoding and select that and save your XML file. I also noticed that in the example of the contents of the XML file in @hez’s post above the closing is missing. So it should look like this:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
	<excludefromscan action="append">
	</excludefromscan>
	<excludetvshowsfromscan action="append">
	</excludetvshowsfromscan>
</video>
</advancedsettings>