DVD playback on Pi4 has pale colours

Hello,
I am running OSMC on a Pi4 to play DVD iso files from a network share. It functions great!

…except, the colours are very light and pale looking. Black areas come out greyish, and there isn’t much contrast.

The DVD iso files were extracted from physical DVDs using ‘ddrescue’, so this isn’t a transcoding issue. If I put the original DVD into my PlayStation on the same TV then the blacks and general colour contrast is fine, so it’s not an issue with the TV itself.

I’ve had a look through some of the OSMC options and it wasn’t obvious where I should be looking to fix this. Any pointers?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Have a look at this:

For what its worth I was seeing a similar problem on my Pi4. Answer was to swap to the alternative video output on the Pi4. I did eventually find some other posts on here from a person who had the same issue and success. Got to be worth a try?

This was it! Thank you. The Pi4 has two HDMi ports, and switching to the other port fixed the issue immediately.

Given that I have now solved the problem, by switching to the other hdmi port on the Pi4, is it still useful to you if I collect this information and submit it?

No. Glad you fixed it. But for the record, which HDMI port are you using?

HDMI 0 is good for me.
Would have posted that originally, but couldn’t dig around behind the TV at the time.

Honestly I’m not sure. The Pi is inside an enclosure, and I’m not sure how the fullsize HDMI ports on the case map to the micro HDMi ports on the Pi board (they’re also not labelled).