Emulation Station on Vero 4K

Hi all.

I have been struggling to get Emulation running smoothly in OSMC for some time now, and have not had any issues on my other devices running standard Kodi (Rpi 2, Firestick, Macbook).

I have discovered 2 Emulation Station distro’s that run on the S905x hardware (Vero 4K) that run like a linux live usb, you boot it from SD Card and it only uses the the hardware without affecting OSMC. Take out the SD Card and you are back to OSMC.

Has anyone had any luck booting Batocera or EmuELEC from SD or USB on their Vero 4K?

It looks like the Vero 4K bootloader is locked down to stop anything other than OSMC booting from the SD card as everything I have tried just results with a “Please stand by screen”.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Dan.

What have you been trying? And what was not smooth about the results.

Have you tried [HOW-TO ] retrOSMCmk2: a RetroPie installer on the Vero4K

Hi hissingshark.

The whole emulator integration is very clunky to use and just does not have that finished elegance and ease of use like Emulation station or Retroarch. This is no bad reflection on OSMC as I am fully aware that this is a new feature in Kodi and OSMC and the devs just aren’t there yet with library integration and scraping, etc.

The main problem I have is mame 2003 will not work in OSMC. When launching Roms, OSMC just reboots with the sad face. Using exactly the same setup on other devices do not produce the same problem.

I will give your suggestion a try, it looks promising, but it would also be great to try the 2 options in my original post to see if full access to the hardware will give better results with the more demanding emulators.

Thanks for your help.

The solution @hissingshark pointed you to will directly run on the hardware as it stops Kodi before starting ES

The bootloader is not locked.

Initial tests are showing retrOSMCmk2 to be a good fit for my needs and it installs great too.
Having a few teething problems with Bluetooth and my 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ joypad but I will get there in the end with a bit more research.

Many thanks for the suggestion and all your hard work putting this together.

Dan.