"Emulators pack", a ready-to-use solution to allow playing old games in OSMC

I’d like to be able to do these steps:

1. power on my raspberry
  2. boot OSMC
  3. go to the app store
  4. choose to download an “emulators pack”
  5. have OSMC and the raspberry downloading and installing automagically everything needed to play vintage games, such as Megadrive / Genesis, NES or MAME games.
  6. Use the FTP connection to upload my collection of games to the raspberry

In my wildest fantasies, other than RetroArch OSMC would even automatically install the “ROM Collection Browser” add-on and set it up in order to scan games in some directories and play them. In this way I would be able to play games without having to leave OSMC to launch EmulationStation for example… all the installation process would be handled by OSMC, therefore I wouldn’t have to download or compile any source code.

Thank you very much for your time and best regards

This is the only thing I really miss in OSMC. Oh and also real browser but I think it is getting done. That would be really awesome

I’ve never really understood wanting to use a web browser on a TV…

My Xbox 360 has a browser and I remember trying it when it was first added thinking “that actually works a lot better than I expected”, same thing when I bought a Samsung TV recently and found it has a web browser that is actually pretty decent - but the novelty wore off in 5 minutes and I’ve never used it again…

I would rather use browser to use youtube / other video sites. There are also other use cases. However we are really offtopic :slight_smile:

Haha the same here :wink:

I must remind you that all the settings … all the key/joystick settings come from ES
So if you story could be done … that would mean a lot of programming unless the ‘ROM Collection Browser’ can do all that for you.

I simply bought a second RPi2 and installed ES on it … with a bluetooth dongle for my PS3 controllers and automatic pairing of those :smile:

RE: youtube… Use yatse on your android device, then use the android youtube app to find vids, once you’ve selected one “share to yatse”, PROFIT!!!

:smiley:

1 Like

Or just mark those videos as ‘watch later’ and use the youtube app within Kodi to watch the videos :smile:

I had a working solution on alpha 4.
I installed retropie from the script and needed to fight a bit with dependencies. But afzer it was resolved I was able to create a new launcher in the kodi main menu that shut down kodi and started emulationstation and if emulationstation was quit it started kodi again.

But I cannot recreate that with the RC image right now as a lot of libraries seem to be missing in the repositories like boost1.49 and libts for example.
Also sdl2 now seems to need libegl-mesa wich breaks kodi.
Rather strange as it worked really well in alpha4.

I will try to create a chroot with raspbian and try to get it installed this way but that will tale some time.

Will post again If it is working.

@mcobit it would be great if you could do it the way you did it on your Alpha 4. Btw I am miggins boost1.49 too for the voicecommand. I found it is not available for debian Jessie, but there is boost1.55 . Could not it be used instead?

Simple symlinking doesn’t work as they changed the abi between versions so some undefined symbols are the result.
As it worked with alpha 4, I think those packages are only missing in the Raspberry Pi 2 feeds of debian jessie.

I’ll see if the chroot works. This would be especially nice as Icould provide a working environment for easy installation.

As you’ve noted, Alpha 4 used a Raspbian Jessie base (with armv6 binaries) for both Pi 1 and Pi 2, while RC and later use the same Raspbian Jessie for Pi 1, but Debian Jessie (armhf) for the Pi 2 to take advantage of binaries compiled for the armv7 architecture. (In short, better performance on Pi 2 compared to running the same armv6 binaries as the Pi 1)

So it is quite possible that there are some small differences in what packages and package versions are available between Raspbian and Debian sources - we have not noticed any significant differences in the packages that are required for a base install of OSMC, but it would appear there are some differences in some more obscure packages, and that you have run into that.

AFAIK Sam plans to continue to base the Pi 2 build off Debian not Raspbian - to go back now would be a lot of restructuring that couldn’t be done between RC and Final, (and would break the upgrade path anyway) and also cause a loss in performance.

As we don’t have any direct control over the upstream packages (Raspbian and Debian) there isn’t much we can do about any discrepancies between the two, but the good news is that over time (especially as Jessie reaches stable release status) it’s likely that Raspbian and Debian will converge much more closely so most of these issues will go away in time.

In the meantime you may need to compile a few specific things from source on the Pi 2.

When I installed raspbian wheezy, I saw that a lot of packages already got the +rpi2 tag so they might be already optimized. If there will be a armv7 optimized raspbian It might be worth a second thought if a switch would be helpful as the pi foundation does tune their builds to the needs of the raspberry pi and pi 2.
Also I think that alpha 4 was actually faster on the Rpi 2 in terms of startuptime and menu navigation.

Got a little furter…
At least got emulationstation running and retropie binaries installed.
Used a mix of self compiled binaries and some stolen packages from raspbian. I’ll further try to simplify the process to write some tutorial.
A lot of emulators don’t work though. Could be my messed up image. Will start from a new one now.

I have it working. Wrapping up everything into a little script right now and test it with a fresh installation of osmc.
Wish me luck :wink:

2 Likes

Thats great to here. If you have a time you can also describe how did you achieve that. I am really curious since I am a programmer (Java/php/Javascript/c++) but I have no experience with linux, debian, packages etc

Most likely I will upload some script that does all that is needed. You can just go through that to see what it does.
I’ll try to be descriptive.

I created the script.
To use it please ssh into the pi or get on a commandline as user osmc.
I only tested this on PI 2. It might work on the 1 but I am not sure.

This only installs retropie for now. I will do a post tomorrow on how to integrate it into kodi.
You need to stop Kodi before running emulationstation as the input will be grabbed by kodi otherwise.

Now the good stuff:

Note: Everything you do with this is on your own risk!

On a shell go to the osmc home directory:

cd /home/osmc

Download the script:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcobit/retropie-osmc/master/INSTALL_RETROPIE_ON_OSMC_RC.sh

Run the script:

chmod +x INSTALL_RETROPIE_ON_OSMC_RC.sh
sudo ./INSTALL_RETROPIE_ON_OSMC_RC.sh

Wait a long time and pray.

If you see the dialog of the RetroPie-Setup script,
choose binary installation!!!

If you see it again, ignore uninstallable packages and select cancel afterwards. The rest of the script will continue.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks, I will back my SD card and give it a try. Looking forward to it.

How did you managed the boost1.49 package? There is a voicecommand package for voice recognition but it also needs boost1.49 and is not working on Pi2 OSMC RC.

I temporarily mount the package repository of Raspbian jessie and get some packages from there that are not in official debian jessie. I know that this is not the best way but it will not harm the system as long as the debian packages get priority.

Edit: After this the boost1.49 libraries are installed your program might work then.

Oops, there is a littel bug in this. will fix and report back.

FIXED!
Should work now.

Please redownload the script.