External (MediaTek) WiFi dongle broken again with latest update (as of 02/07/17)

I started a post a few weeks ago for the same issue (External (Mediatek) WiFi adapter/dongle not working with May/June 2017 update - #14 by Drax).

Someone else responded to say the advice had fixed theirs and the post became inactive. Unfortunately it didn’t fix mine (see last comment in that post).

I carried on using the N WiFi of the adapter, but have updated today and now none of the adapter is working again.

Any help appreciated. All useful information about setup is in my original post.

Cheers

Provide an updated set of log files
grab-logs -A
lsmod | paste-log

https://paste.osmc.tv/nezelamewa

Enabled onboard WiFi temporarily.

Some how you have the old kernel running, try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
and if still problem upload logs again

It might be related to this command:

Start-Date: 2017-06-07  19:52:03
Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get-real -o APT::Status-Fd=4 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=5 -o APT::Keep-Fds::=6 -y purge rbp2-image-4.4.27-9-osmc
Purge: rbp2-image-4.4.27-9-osmc:armhf (9)
End-Date: 2017-06-07  19:52:07

Before this command was run, the kernel version was 4.9.29-5.

After this command, apt-get dist-upgrade reinstalled kernel version 4.9.29-4 (twice).

Running apt-get purge will remove configuration data, so I’d guess that it’s removed something important.

Did the dist-upgrade and the N portion of the adapter is back, but still no AC.

New log file: https://paste.osmc.tv/edatihisew

Out of curiosity, I did a complete fresh install on a different SD card (via WIndows installer, 2017-05) and upgraded to the latest version through My OSMC, and I get the same thing (N there, AC not).

Do you have crda installed and set your region? That helped others who had problems

I didn’t have it. Installed and set to Australia, no change.

I did another fresh install on another SD card using the April release and the AC WiFi is present again, so the dongle is definitely still working. May onwards has killed it.