First time vero 4k user having sound problems on some videos in twitch and youtube apps

Thanks Sam !

I’m still a bit confused because the audio issue happens when display is set to 1080p@60fps and the audio glitch can be heard even while navigating the osmc menu with a remote ( when no stream is runing ) I also noticed that some youtube and or twitch videos will have no audio issues while others will have broken sound. And the audio issue goes away if display is set to 24 fps

If you think that It can help I will provide a log tomorrow made while a youtube or twitch video is playing with no audio issues with display set to 60fps.

Did you ever use Kodi before purchasing the Vero4k? Are you sure that this “glitch” you hear is menus is not simply the GUI sound? Try Settings>System>Audio>Play GUI Sounds, change to Never.

The broken sound in youtube and twitch could likely be poor stream performance.

I know the GUI sound is glitched at @60fps because it sounds differently when the display is set to 24 fps at 24 fps the menu sounds are normal at @60fps they sound distorted and strange. I dont think the sound difference in menus between 24 and 60 fps is intentional

Can you post your audio settings?
I don’t think you should have issues with menu sounds.

If changing TV resolves the issue then that’s quite strange.

Can I somehow get to my audio settings via ssh ? If yes I can post them now if not I will do tomorrow when im at my vero again…Im not using it at home.

My Audio settings should be default I dont think i changed anything.

Changing refresh rate really fixes the audio issues for most of videos on youtube ( i guess because most videos there are recorded at 24 fps) If I have displey set to 24 fps while watching a video with higher refresh rate audio will be fine but the video will stutter and load and be slowed down

For example I tested youtube addon with this video : *HQ Audio* Dave Brubeck - Take Five, From "Time out" Hifi Audiophile Jazz *HQ Audio* - YouTube with display set to 24 fps the audio will be fine but if i set display to 60 fps that same video will have broken sound

I have discovered that if the vero4k settings-> display is set at 1080p@60fps and adjust display refresh rate is set to always the vero will constantly lose connection with the tv ( in my case projector Benq projector ) if i try to play a 1080p 24fps movie.

When i start the playback the resolution will switch from 1080p@60fps to 1080p@24fps since that is the video format few seconds later the projector loses the connection with the vero and scan for new source and then finds it again at 1080p@24fps again and then few seconds later it will disconnect again and scan again and so on.

I made a debug log while that was going on http://paste.osmc.io/dexenoguse

I dont know what is happening the projector receives 1080p 60fps sources from other devices just fine … chromecast for example works without issues

Could it be that the hdmi that came with the vero is defect ? I really dont know what could be causing this issue.

Also should i create a new topic for this “losing connection with the projector while playback of 1080p.mkv files from HDD” is happening ?

It’s expected for the video to drop for a second or so when starting.
Some projectors are just slower to change video modes.

You can disable Adjust Refresh Rate and enable Sync Playback to Display instead.

I don’t think Chromecast does refresh rate switching.

I understand that. The short drop when starting a new is understandable the problem is that the dropping happens every few seconds.

Ok Thanks i will try that

Check HDMI cable to the projector as well as the one from the device to the AV receiver if you have one. There may not be enough drive strength for long distances which drop the signal. I had this problem once some years ago (over 10M cable) and had to buy another.

Thanks again Sam ! Replacing the hdmi cable did fix the random disconects and source seeking but it sadly didnt fix my audio issues with youtube and twitch content if display is set at 1080p@60fps. I do not have an AV receiver. I have the 4k connected to the BenQ W1110 1080p Home Projector via HDMI and then use the audio out of the projector to to connect it to active speakers via a jack connector.

Okay, glad to hear it.

One step at a time though re. Twitch and YT. Can you download some YouTube clips that play at 1080p60 and see if they play back OK from local storage?

Cheers

Sam

Do you mean if i can download some files that have audio issues when watched via the apps if display is set at 1080p@60fps and try to play them locally from the HDD and see if the audio issues go away ?

Yes.

This video has audio issues if display is set at 1060@60fps It was played from external HDD.

General
Unique ID : 241562807929148626765021357189257165752 (0xB5BB4DF54A9E881F846D32D07426FBB8)
Complete name :
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 416 MiB
Duration : 22 min 46 s
Overall bit rate : 2 555 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2017-04-02 02:03:43
Writing application : mkvmerge v9.6.0 (‘Slave To Your Mind’) 64bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Constant
Nominal bit rate : 3 436 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.124
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AACv2 / HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels / 1 channel / 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: L R / Front: C / Front: C
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz / 44.1 kHz / 22.05 kHz
Frame rate : 21.533 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy

http://paste.osmc.io/omisoraqar

Interesting…

Can you send me a sample of that file? Also – if you play it back from local storage, do you have a problem?

Cheers

Sam

I’m playing it back from the HDD plugged into the vero.

Sure here is a sample: https://www.mediafire.com/?6mnj5mcucv6cnxd

Thank you – that’s great.

I’ll try the sample tomorrow and let you know my findings.

Oh thanks ! You are welcome and thanks for all the help !

Good night :wink:

Last night I tried to watch this with display set at 1080p@24fps and the video was slugish and out of synch with audio. When I swapped to 1080p@60fps the playback was fine. But the fps didnt change automatically I had to do it myself manually.

General
Unique ID : 180606901930824698047001907492093787075 (0x87DF9FC2574C2BA1ADAC4BD7A0457BC3)
Complete name :
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 958 MiB
Duration : 29 min 40 s
Overall bit rate : 4 511 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2017-04-03 03:35:23
Writing application : mkvmerge v9.6.0 (‘Slave To Your Mind’) 64bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Constant
Nominal bit rate : 4 372 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.079

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy

Text
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language : English
Default : No

And before anyone asks yes i was playing it back from a HDD plugged in to the 4k

Took a look at this. The way the videos are encoded is very messy.

Simply put, the video and audio don’t sync because they seem to be encoded independently of each other, and at other rates.

My suspicion is that you’ll find it problematic on a fair few devices. I have a bit of a hack to make it work, but it’s going to take some time and I’d like some more clip samples so I can ensure things are improved

Cheers

Sam