[FIXED] Stuck on rainbow screen, replacing kernel.img fixes

Hello

Suddenly my Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC RC3 locked up not accepting any SSH connection or CEC key presses. I pulled the power and now only get the rainbow screen when powering up.

I attempted to replace the kernel.img with kernel.img from a fresh OSMC RC3 image but this brings me to a OSMC install screen telling me I have no file system. This indicates that indeed kernel.img is the problem.

I noticed that this kernel.img has a size of >20mb while the one originally on the SD card was only about 5 mb. Where can I find an appropriate kernel.img for Raspberry Pi 2 OSMC RC3? A search on github didn’t yield any .img files as far as I can tell :-).

Regards
Eskild.

Hooray! I figured it out!

Step 1: Download RC3 image from Download - OSMC
Step 2: Unpack .gz file
Step 3: Mount .img file
Step 4: Unpack filesystem.tar.xz
Step 5: Copy boot/kernel.img to SD card
Step 6: It works!

Regards
Eskild.

The kernel image you have downloaded from the image is not the correct one. It is 20M because it contains an initramfs to perform the OSMC installation.

I would suggest a reinstall. If your kernel has corrupted we do not know what else has. I would also check your power supply is up to scratch.

At the time of writing there is not an easy way to restore the kernel image

S

That will work, but you have installed an older kernel. You should now run this via SSH

sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-kernel-image

If it is a Pi1 use rbp1 instead

S

I believe it is rbp2-kernel-osmc and not rbp2-kernel-image :-)?

Regards
Eskild.

Yes

Sam