Frameskipping in some 4K files

A shot in the dark, but As you said that the video plays correctly at 60hz, coudn’t be the issue that it is in fact a 60 (or 30) hz movie, wrongly coded as 23.976 fps in the mkv container?

(I had that issue a while ago with a movie that was reportedly a 25 movie, but was in fact a 23.976 one. In this case I had a lot of stuttering in the imagem (like 1 per second, due to a forced display at 25fps for a 23.976 fps content).)

In your case you can try and pickup a sample and use mkvtoolnix to remade the mk container (no encryption) into 30 fps (cut to like 60 secs just for testing).

Hi,

As said in the PM, I can reproduce the stutter with adjust frame rate enabled and it is a lot smoother; with the sample clip you provided. With adjust frame rate enabled on the bit that stutters, I the FPS drops to 12; where as with it disabled the FPS only drops to 19. Unfortunately I’m not a developer, I am user like yourself; so I can not provide a solution to this.

What I am going to do is post the logs of my test, hopefully this will help the team have more of an idea whats going on:

@sam_nazarko

https://paste.osmc.tv/yofoloboze

With adjust frame rate set to always starts: 20:13:59.146 T:4109869056
With adjust frame disabled starts: 20:15:06.897 T:4109869056

All my audio and video are default, except adjust framerate; which I normally have set to always.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Looks like we have two frameskip topics, for slightly different scenarios, so I initally missed this.

I’ve skimmed this quickly, so forgive if answered before.

A sample clip of anything affected would absolutely help.
I can then see what’s up, or tell you if there’s anything problematic with the clip that you are trying to play

It would be good to confirm that your TV does indeed support these refresh rates.

Can you paste the output of:

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap

Cheers

Sam

As I’m part of the other frameskipping thread mostly concerned with 1080p24 files (23.976fps), I’d say that this, although everything else is about 4k here, sounds quite like, actually exactly like what we experience:

60/50fps fixed or adjusted framerate doesn’t give us any skipping, but 23.976fps does no matter what the framerate adjustement setting is…

@acidduck

480p60hz
576p50hz
720p60hz
1080i60hz
1080p60hz
720p50hz
1080i50hz
1080p30hz
1080p50hz
1080p25hz
1080p24hz
2160p30hz
2160p25hz
2160p24hz
smpte24hz
smpte25hz
smpte30hz
smpte50hz
smpte60hz
smpte50hz420
smpte60hz420
2160p50hz
2160p60hz
2160p50hz420
2160p60hz420

Your TV doesn’t seem to advertise a preferred mode.
I suspect that when you play content in 23.976 with Adjust Refresh Rate on, it’s not switching video mode, so you get stutter.

When playing something that stutters, check cat /sys/class/display/mode.

When I play the clip I get the correct display mode: 2160p24hz.

Btw @sam_nazarko
@Tom_Doyle has seen the clip, and can confirm the stuttering.

Just tested the clip and I get stuttering after a few seconds.

The issue is that the buffer is getting starved and underrunning, so there are skips as we try to catch up. There will be improvements in the next update to address this and I’ll use the sample clip you’ve sent as a benchmark.

I don’t believe this related to the refresh rate. If you press the Context Menu button and then OK during playback, you’ll see VQ and AQ stats. When the skipping starts, I suspect you’ll see very low VQ: numbers.

Cheers

Sam

Sounds good Sam! :sweat_smile:

I would try pressing Context Menu & OK during playback, but now the remote doesn’t work?
Normally I’m using my Harmony Hub w. Bluetooth, so for this test I inserted the USB remote dongle, but the remote’s dead, not responding to anything…

Did you reboot after inserting the USB remote dongle?

Sam

I did. Even cut the power and exchanged the batteries on the remote…

Do you see a blue light on the remote?

Try follow these instructions. Vero 4K RF remote dead - #2 by sam_nazarko

1 Like

Hi Sam.

I downloaded the fix from the other skipping thread.
Here’s my log: http://paste.osmc.tv/ugifawacew

No difference really. Don’t know if the fix was supposed to fix my issue, but it look’s the same.

It’s not meant to fix the issue with your 4K clips.

Hi Sam

How are things progressing with a fix?

Hi – as you are probably aware I’m travelling so my ability to update the forum is more limited than usual.

The good news is we have a set of fixes for some problematic clips and this should land in the next couple of days. Improvements to buffering seems to resolve the higher bitrate clips, but they will take longer to start now.

Sam

1 Like

Sounds great Sam.

I’ll be happy to help testing, before the official release.

How about the h264 clips Andy - eg the one I sent you with Tom Hardy?

I don’t recall those skipping?

of course you’re right. Sorry. Any news on the other fixes then please?