Frequent random freezing

Are you still overclocked?

Then I would recommend running for a day without the torrent client running and see if it still freezes. If not the torrent client is probably running the system low on memory which can cause an apparent freeze.

No, as always I have normal profile.

I was checking processes with top and I have 3 that uses bigger portion of CPU:

• torrent --> ~40%
  • kodi.bin --> ~35%
  • mount.ntfs --> ~20%

Are this normal numbers for Raspberry 1?

Canā€™t answer that directly as I never owned a Pi 1 but the mount.ntfs troubles me a bit. My drive is formatted as ext4, though, so someone who uses ntfs can correct me if Iā€™m wrong about that process using so much cpu?

Ok if I stop torrent process I get:

• kodi.bin --> ~30%
  • mount.ntfs --> <1%

So it is torrent problem. OSMC is running/reading movie from ntfs disk and torrent is saving files on the same disk.

Iā€™m doing the same thing, but I donā€™t have any mount.ext4 (or similar) process taking up huge resources.

If you have another drive you can test with, format it with ext3 or ext4 and I bet you itā€™ll work better for you. NTFS isnā€™t very linux-friendly.

That said, I have no idea if it has anything to do with your freezing problem. But it canā€™t hurt.

CPU use is irrelevant and will not cause your freeze. It might slow things down quite a bit but it wonā€™t hang the system.

Running out of memory on the other hand will hang the system because there is no swap file on OSMC except for the 256MB Pi which canā€™t run without one.

I donā€™t think itā€™s memory problem. At least it doesnā€™t look like. I just started torrent process and in about 10 seconds osmc completely freezes. I had top open in ssh so screenshot is attached. And also a photo from a debug info on TV.

Just another data point. I have the exact same problem and I am not running anything in the background. To be clear I have a B+ that has been working reliably as my primary media center for over a year. Since the September update I get occasional crashes while viewing H.264 video just as described, audio mutes and a few seconds later it freezes. Tried running with debug on but found the on screen display too annoying. In the mean time I have reverted the overclock to hardware default (700, 400, 250) to see if that helps.

1 Like

Well Iā€™m still not 100% sure our problems are the same, but for me, ever since I moved back to the August version, no more freezes. It has been almost 2 days now, several hours of usage yesterday & todays with playback + ftp transfers and no freezes at all.

bbigk if you could back up your settings, do a clean install of the August version, re-apply your settings and if no more freezes happen even when having torrent processes, that would kind of prove that it was introduced with the latest version of OSMC.

For now Iā€™ll keep running the old one and I have turned off auto updates.

1 Like

Setting the overclock to hardware default did not help. I enabled debugging through advancedsettings.xml by setting loglevel to 1. System froze as before. Was not able to ssh in so I restarted the system (power off/on) and uploaded the logs. URL: http://paste.osmc.io/fibasesino. Hope this helps.

Thatā€™s weird man: Iā€™ve the same prob.! Especially that sound mute!

If I notice that the sound mutes, then I have to stop playback very fast because a few seconds later the video will freeze and the Pi is non responsive. I thought that my Pi is getting old and an electro condensator (capacitor) is broken. Because it looks a whole lot like some hardware problems Iā€™ve had in the past. Or that the CPU or GPU is overheated. Might it have tot do w/ OSMC?

After a certain forced reboot because of said freeze I saved the last part of the error log. But I donā€™t know if that error log logged the freeze or not. Anyway, see pastebin.

Well i did not have much time to do the log thing But MeneerJansen has exactly the same thing iā€™m having.
I also thought on hardware problems first but reading the reviews i can say that indeed the problem started with the september update, i tried upgrading last night to the october release but still the same problem.
when i unplug the ethernet cable it mostly returns to the skin instead of freezing in the video.
i have all settings to standard and i can still access ssh which makes me believe kodi has an issue , but unplugging the network cable is then again a kernerl / driver issue ??.
From what i am seeing here there are more then 1 user expiercing exactly the same problem after the same update.
can some please take a look at the logs of MeneerJansen.

Maybe after that part we can allready identify which is the source of the problem so i can adjust my logging on that part before sending it.

kindest regards

Iā€™ve seen the same behavior since the September update so you are not the only onesā€¦
It occurs very randomlyā€¦sometimes twice an evening, sometimes a day without any problems.

having the same issue, seems to be very random. ssh will start to connect but doesnā€™t actually finish (donā€™t get the welcome message and it seems to time out), so the solution now is just to unplug the powerā€¦ not ideal.

fwiw, also running deluge. is there a link/howto of how to post a log after a reboot containing the details since the last reboot? thanks.
also, not sure how to roll back updates, but Iā€™m hoping to find details in https://osmc.tv/2014/12/why-osmc/ and OSMC's September update - #11 by FWeinb

I too am experiencing daily freezes while playing movies. The symptoms are the same: no sound, and a few seconds later, complete popsicle. It seems to me that I am more likely to get a freeze, if I am skipping back and forth in the movie. The freeze appears to sometimes lead to a reboot, if I leave it sitting over night.

I donā€™t have deluge. Iā€™m on the Oct release of OSMC, and I have the most recent version of the Eminence skin. My RPi/B is wired through a router (on DD-WRT) to my NAS (a WD MyCloud).

(Two other issues that may or may not be related: I often find that the RPi has trouble connecting to the Internet, although it has no problems seeing others/being seen on the LAN. Iā€™ve also found that the CEC is dropped after a while; remote control via Bluetooth and wifi still works as intended, though.)

Two days ago I did clean install with August image and with Deluge. Since then I didnā€™t experience any freezes like I did before, so I think the problem really is September update.

Might be unrelated. But when I ssh into my Pi sometimes it cannot be accessed via ssh until the following message is gone:

Updating APT cache. Please be patient.

Searching the internet it appears that this message is ā€œuniqueā€ for OSMC and comes from this script: https://github.com/osmc/osmc/blob/master/package/base-files-osmc/files/etc/profile.d/apt-update.sh

Ok, itā€™s been 4 days on August image and still no freezes.

Just another quick data point here. I just had the video mute then freeze on my original Raspberry Pi B model running October OSMC. I have reverted my B+ system to the August release as bbigk did and so far no issues after a few hours of viewing. Iā€™m going to spend a little time on my Pi 2 today exercising the October release (ie. watching a few shows/movies :wink: ) to see if it has issues as well.