Fresh install Raspberry Pi 4

Hi,

How to install osmc beta (Kodi 19.1) for Raspberry Pi4? Would be great to have a step by step guide and links for programms to install to have a bootable sd card.

Cheers

See [TESTING] Kodi v19 builds for Raspberry Pi 2/3/4

There is also a preloaded SD in the store

Cheers

Sam

Thanks and have found this page earlier, however I can download the image file, but wondering how to put on sd card? There is no explanation available how to do this for a completely empty sd card.

You can download the installer from Download - OSMC

No installer for Linux. Use these instructions Installing OSMC on the Raspberry Pi - Pi My Life Up

On Linux, you can use any program that moves bits from A–>B to create a bootable flash device.
Typically, suggestions like dd or ddrescue are provided, but cp and cat also work fine. This applies to any time we need to put either an img or .iso file onto other storage. It doesn’t matter if this is done using a ARM or x86 or MIPS or any other architecture. This is standard Unix.
If you download from Download - OSMC, then I’m seeing OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20201227.img.gz as the current file provided for a R-Pi v2, v3, or v4.
The name will be OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20201227.img.gz after download. It needs to be gunzip’ed first.
gunzip OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20201227.img.gz
Now we have a larger file named OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20201227.img.

The only trick is figuring out the device name for the SD/microSD card. For someone not used to Linux, it can be very dangerous, since picking the wrong device name will easily overwrite the OS. When storage devices are connected under Linux, there is a log which will provide the current device name. After each insertion, that device name can change, so validating it each time is mandatory, unless you like to live dangerously. Run dmesg -w, then insert the storage device. Watch the terminal where dmesg is running for the storage information to be displayed. For flash media, like an SD card, we want the whole storage device, not a partition, so it will be /dev/sdd, not sdd1. Chances are that sda and sdb are for your OS and backup HDD, already used. Again, if you accidentally choose those devices the command below will wipe the data on those drives, including the partition table.

Under Linux, the device name for a microSD card would be something like /dev/sdz, so to copy osmc-pi3.img onto a microSD card, the command would be:
sudo cp ./OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20201227.img /dev/sdz

Elevated privileges are required for that command, so sudo is needed. Writing to anything under /dev/ is an administrator-only thing.
There are other tools, most are hugely bloated, but people seem to like them - etcher or mkusb are a few Linux options. Meh. Linux people don’t have time for that stuff.

OSX can probably use the same programs, but I don’t know how device names (like a microSD card) would be named under OSX.

It is only Windows that seems to need some other tool to copy bits from A–>B. I wouldn’t know what to recommend. I’ve never used anything except yumi.exe. Don’t know if that tool is still available or under development.

Unfortunately there are no Pi4 specific links (yet) in the otherwise excellent guides, only older Pi’s. I think the vast majority with your question will only need to know 2 things.

1. Download the image from Index of /osmc/osmc/download/installers/diskimages/v19testing and pick the rbp4 img.gz
  2. Use the standard Raspberry Pi Imager tool for your OS from the Raspberry website which 99% of Pi owners already have installed and under Select OS, choose the Use Custom option.