FSTAB mounting problems

Clearly, I don’t know anything about your network configuration but in such a situation I would try to substitute components and devices. You’ve already tried changing cables. The first thing I’d now try is to see if substituting a laptop (or RPi) for the Vero gives the same network throughput. If it’s possible, try changing ports on the switch one at a time. You’re already on 90% of a typical 100 Mbit ethernet speed so, while not ideal and certainly a bit odd, isn’t a complete show-stopper.

I just put in firewall, switch and AP and everything else feels snappier. For instance my remote access into the server was very slow before but is really really good now so yeah its a little wierd. I will try some different things just to see if I can get faster speeds and also take a look at Qos and other settings.

From a win10 laptop (connected via cable to the switch) running iperf3 to the Vero I get:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 11.5 MBytes 96.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 11.2 MBytes 94.3 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.5 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.3 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 11.2 MBytes 94.3 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.5 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 11.2 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 11.2 MBytes 94.3 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.4 Mbits/sec

[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 113 MBytes 95.1 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 113 MBytes 95.1 Mbits/sec receiver

From win10 laptop to win7 server (The media server):

[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 100 MBytes 842 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 97.9 MBytes 821 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 103 MBytes 864 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 103 MBytes 866 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 108 MBytes 909 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 107 MBytes 895 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 103 MBytes 865 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 103 MBytes 865 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 103 MBytes 863 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 97.5 MBytes 817 Mbits/sec

[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.00 GBytes 861 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.00 GBytes 861 Mbits/sec receiver

win10 to win10 via cable via switch gives 925 Mbit/sec

Those are good for a 100 Mbit network. QoS could be the culprit.

After more testing…the problem lies with the win7 machine. Anyone else get good speed into the vero.

Updated drivers and rebooted. Im now at 94Mb win7<---->vero

1 Like

I wanna say that I actually never had any problems with network speed at all during normal use. It was just the jellyfish demo that I have heared about that showed stuttering and I took it as a way to learn about mounting fstab. Its funnier to laborate when you have something concrete to test imho.

One thing thats a little annoying tho is that whenever I want to do a reboot its now waiting for a “stop job” /mnt/Demos for 1m 30s is there a way to remove this or shorten the waiting time and what will happen when I start to add more fstab shares?

90 seconds is the default systemd timeout period. What exactly is waiting? I’d guess that something is holding onto a file on /mnt/Demos.

Or connection to /mnt/Demos lost and can not be unmounted for that reason

1 Like

Ill take a pic next time.

Be certain that you constantly patch any Cisco stuff. They’ve been caught more than a few times with back doors on their equipment just in the last few months.

If you have a 100base-tx network, then 93+ Mbps is pretty awesome. Plus, that is really all that a Raspberry Pi v3 or older can do. A v3+ should be able to hit 250+ Mbps on a GigE network. I have cheap switches and routinely see 922 Mbps between wired ethernet systems, so expensive network gear just isn’t needed. Back in the early 2000s, when GigE was new to home networking, it was important, but since around 2007, pretty much any $10 NIC and $10 switch can do it.

You can’t make something connected to a 100base-tx port go any faster and under ideal situations, wifi with no interference will provide about 40% of the speeds listed on the boxes, assuming the device and AP are in the same room, unobstructed. Any performance higher than that is gravy.

Vero 4k … I looked at the Vero4K site and didn’t see what sort of network capability it has. Must have missed the HW spec page in the 5 min I searched.

Fast Ethernet is cited (so 100Mbps).

Sam

I’m not active enough here to see that the OP has a real problem besides permissions, which does appear to be wrong.

Getting 80Mbps from any HDD (spinning) is pretty great on a 100 Mbps network, especially when using CIFS/Samba. Spinning disks just aren’t that fast, especially when spun down (I consider that an anti-pattern for NAS disks). NAS disks should be spinning 24/7/365/100 yrs. But others might disagree.

I have a GigE network and I’m lucky to see 70Mbps xfers between a Win7 and Linux systems using CIFS. My r-pi all use DLNA streaming or NFS. Since it has always been “fast enough”, I never bothered looking for issues. 1080p streams should be less than 20 Mbps, at most, so it isn’t like 80Mbps is needed.

I don’t use wifi on my home network. Too many issues with streaming devices over wifi. I have powerline connections between floors to extend the network.

Anyways, are the permissions solved?

I am not aware that any Cisco security device has had any backdoors recently except for the webinterface one? I dont know about switches and ap’s tho, Cisco has 7 switch families so aloot of units. There were some routers affected i remember. But there is no product 100% secure, even an open source firewall can have exploits and there is no guarantee the community will come out with a patch faster then a producer so the layered aproach will be needed for a long time forward and being up to date is near the top of the list of how to keep being secure.

However my network is the Meraki family so controllers are in the cloud and all devices update themselves automatically so Im always on the most recent patch. Its also a gigabit network and the switch is gigabit on all ports. The firewall is the weakest link of 250 Mbps with ips and sandbox, but I dont route internal traffic via the firewall so its gigabit internally.

I ordered the vero4k+ so will be fun to see the speeds. I didnt upgrade the “server” yet but i did get a new nic so hardwarewise It should be ok.

Still this is all just a learning experience, there is no problem streaming anything I throw at it so more speed is just frosting, but tjings change fast in the mediaworld so its good to be ahead.

If you use iperf you will get 940Mbps TX and RX consistently

Sam

1 Like

Sweet music.

Hi, I’m trying to set up a share, I initially tried and succeded trough the GUI of OSMC but it stopped working for some reason.
Now, my share is on my desktop windows 10 and named TV_Shows.
The problem i’m having is with the vers=3.0. The fstab doesn’t want to mount when I add any type of vers= at the end of it.

//192.168.1.116/TV_Shows /mnt/TV_Shows cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,username=Monolith,password=***,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770 0 0,vers=3.0 0 0

and it returns this :

sudo mount -a
mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 4 – ignored

I can see the TV_Shows share in the /mnt but can’t open it, it says no such device and when I try :

smbclient -L 192.168.1.116 -U Monolith -m SMB3

it returns

WARNING: The “syslog” option is deprecated
Enter Monolith’s password:
Domain=[DESKTOP-FLOD6F7] OS= Server=

Sharename       Type      Comment
    ---------       ----      -------
    ADMIN$          Disk      Administration à distance
    C$              Disk      Partage par défaut
    D$              Disk      Partage par défaut
    E$              Disk      Partage par défaut
    F$              Disk      Partage par défaut
    G$              Disk      Partage par défaut
    H$              Disk      Partage par défaut
    IPC$            IPC       IPC distant
    Movies          Disk
    Musique         Disk
    TV_Shows        Disk
    Users           Disk

Connection to 192.168.1.116 failed (Error NT_STATUS_RESOURCE_NAME_NOT_FOUND)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled – no workgroup available

I don’t know what else to do.

Hi,

I think it will work if you remove the 0 0 before the vers=3.0

so:

//192.168.1.116/TV_Shows](https://192.168.1.116/TV_Shows) /mnt/TV_Shows cifs x-systemd.automount,noauto,rw,iocharset=utf8,username=Monolith,password=***,uid=osmc,gid=osmc,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,vers=3.0 0 0

Thanks Tom.