Geniatech HDStar v3 DVB-S2 Not Working?

Hi

Using rpi2 with latest January update. Trying to get the following dvb-s2 tuner to work.

On linuxtv it shows device supported Geniattech HDStar linuxtv.

I downloaded the dvb-fe-ds3000.fw firmware and placed it into /lib/firmware.

Tvheadend picks up the tuner but when i go to scan muxes it fails everytime.

Heres dmesg log. There seems to be lot of these errors in it:

dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -71 (36/0)
dw2102: i2c transfer failed

In the Tvheadend log the following errors occur

linuxdvb: Montage Technology DS3000 : DVB-S #0 - DTV_CLEAR failed [e=No such device]
mpegts: 11740V in fta3 - tuning on Montage Technology DS3000 : DVB-S #0

Thanks for any info

[quote=“the_bo, post:1, topic:12758”]
On linuxtv it shows device supported Geniattech HDStar linuxtv.
[/quote]but on other project there is info that support is broken?:confused:

Do you have a link where says its broken thanks. I think drivers are still up to date on openelec not sure. I copied over the firmware to lib/firmware on osmc. It seems its a hardware fault. I’ll keep testing.

V3 of this device seems to giving problems.

Thanks for info anyways.

you can find that even some stores have this:

Although LinuxTV.org shows that this is a compatible tuner, the device does not have mainline kernel support. Although it is possible to apply a kernel patch in order to use TVheadend or VDR, we do not provide any support for this use case.

Hi @sam_nazarko

LibrELEC has patched v3 of this device to get it working. https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-2954.html

Be good if there was a way to get this patched for OSMC also.

I tried contacting some libreelec developers about where to find necessary patches or drivers to give you some info.

Maybe if you know someone working on librelec could ask for some info.

If your busy at the moment no worries. If you get some spare time.

Thanks

Thanks – I can apply a patch to OSMC if there is one available. Let me know if you receive a reply

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam

Here’s reply got from one of the guys on LibreELEC. If you can have a look when you have some spare time.

Thanks

I have no patch, but you can install
GitHub - crazycat69/linux_media: TBS linux open source drivers
with the manual from here
Home · tbsdtv/linux_media Wiki · GitHub

git clone GitHub - tbsdtv/media_build
git clone --depth=1 GitHub - tbsdtv/linux_media: TBS linux open source drivers -b latest ./media
----->
git clone https://bitbucket.org/CrazyCat/media_build.git
git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/crazycat69linux_media.git -b latest ./media

then follow the wiki - should work Smile

We don’t use media_build.
I’d rather stick with the upstream kernel’s V4L2 modules, at least for Raspberry Pi where the kernel is quite modern.

The actual patch needed would be useful

I’m total noob at this just passing on info.

I found this other page not sure if its a patch related or not.

I’ll see if can find any other info although as i’m noob at this what does a patch look like code wise lol :slight_smile:

Would this patch work?

Hi @sam_nazarko

Just tested this device on libreelec works out of the box.

Here is the patch needed to get it to work.

Any chance you could squeese this in before may update. I can do some testing if needed.

Many Thanks

https://bitbucket.org/updatelee/v4l-updatelee/commits/55c63982a513c93bdd42034f3353395c3cc4b4f8?at=master

Dmesg log on libreelec

11.902508] ts2020 4-0060: Montage Technology TS2022 successfully identified
[ 11.902570] usb 1-1.3: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Montage Technology M88DS3103)…
[ 12.518168] Registered IR keymap rc-su3000
[ 12.518478] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/rc/rc0/input2
[ 12.519677] rc rc0: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/rc/rc0
[ 12.519692] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
[ 12.519702] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 0, initialized 1
[ 12.519707] dvb-usb: SU3000HD DVB-S USB2.0 successfully initialized and connected.
[ 12.519820] usbcore: registered new interface driver dw2102

m88ds3103 3-0068: found a ‘Montage Technology M88DS3103’ in cold state
[ 23.598008] m88ds3103 3-0068: downloading firmware from file ‘dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw’
[ 24.640379] m88ds3103 3-0068: found a ‘Montage Technology M88DS3103’ in warm state
[ 24.640389] m88ds3103 3-0068: firmware version: 3.B
[ 24.656308] usb 1-1.3: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (950000…2150000)

What kernel does this apply to?
If you submit a PR against OSMC we can get it included

Otherwise, provide me with as much info as you can and I will see what can be done.

Cheers

Sam

Just checked libreelec kernel its

LibreELEC:~ # uname -r

I see your testing to update to this kernel.

If it can be applied to 4.4 that would be good.
We are moving to 4.9 but I won’t employ the media_build approach you originally linked to. It’s a maintenance nightmare and only makes sense on older kernels

We are happy to carry downstream patches for DVB however. When 4.9 is released, ping me and I’ll take a look at what changes are necessary to get this supported in OSMC

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam

With 4.9 released, if you get some spare time I know your busy with fixes, can you take a look at getting this device patched.

Hopefully the info in posts above help. If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks

Hello everyone and happy new year.
In the end, was this card supported? I would be interested.
Thx

1 Like

Hi Sam

Any chance of providing me with a test build with this patch applied?

I will be able to test my current working tevii s660 to ensure it still works fine with this patch as it uses the same dw2102.c file also.

Be nice to have this v3 device working as i want to test it to see if it produces the same green artifacts that i’m getting with my current s660 device.

I’m not familiar with creating a PR on github but here are a few links to the patch.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

or

We don’t use media_build on Pi

Sam

I’ve submitted a pull request that rolls up the relevant changes from that repository.

1 Like

Thanks very much for submitting the pull request hopefully the v3 will get implemented cheers. :+1: