Geniatech HDStar v3 DVB-S2 Not Working?


#61

i’ve also tried creating the patches to incorporate the driver changes into osmc.
but the changes were not enough
I look deep into the new code of the files you previously ptached, (ds3000.c dw2102.c m88ds3103.c). even added some debug messages for dmesg to trace the failing point, without success - the device was loaded but the frontend not !
There were more changes in the dvb-core and dvb-frontend and also in the include files structure that were just too much time consuming, to continue with that approach.

v4l-updatelee was not still the solution - geniatech still failed to load the frontend.

Crazycat worked at first !
Dont know yet why. But for incorporating the changes in osmc kernel, I strongly advise to look into crazycat’s branch :wink:

https://bitbucket.org/CrazyCat/media_build.git

Either way:
let me do some more testing (namely mount that antenna :slight_smile:) and I will create a topic with all the steps needed to enable Geniatech HDStar V3 (and others) :wink: and put the link here.


#62

I’ve just created an how-to:

Test it and report your results there.

Thanks
Nuno


#63

Hi, i did it tonight. It seems the error doesn’t appear but the tvheadend client doesn’t detect the adapter. I will test again tonight


#64

But a question more… future osmc versions will include this patch out of the box?


#65

S[quote=“submarinu, post:63, topic:12758, full:true”]
Hi, i did it tonight. It seems the error doesn’t appear but the tvheadend client doesn’t detect the adapter. I will test again tonight
[/quote]

It works, but the driver takes almost 60 seconds to load and tvheadend loads before that !
You can try restarting tvheadend service, and the device will show.
Then You should edit tvheadend service in order to wait for that time before loading.

Please look into the thread i’ve made for that - report the issue there so we could have everything regarding that approach joined together.

I don’t believe - this aproach is for side loading drivers. I don’t believe @sam_nazarko will force manually adding modules that are not compiled with the kernel.
We need to make kernel patches to be applied in the kernel source - I’ve tried but have not been sucessfully, as there are many changes in several more source files when compared with the 2018 patch.
I’m still researching and will post any evolution.

Maybe @marklam could also help looking into more file diffs :wink:


#66

A suggestion for @sam_nazarko based on new librelec 9.0 release notes:

(without wanting in any way to promote librelec, but suggesting a similar approach for osmc, as there are so many new drivers everyday):

We now offer a larger range of DVB drivers (depending on your platform) to choose from. The “DVB drivers from the latest kernel” option also includes the majority of Hauppage drivers which have been recently upstreamed into the kernel, which is great to see!

In the settings menu is the ability to choose default drivers, drivers from the last kernel and also drivers from crazycats (as the ones I’ve talked in the previous posts).


#67

I don’t have any plans to move to media_build or CrazyCat drivers for RBP.
It is not without its issues.

We will move to a new LTS kernel when it is available; which will bring an improved DVB stack

Cheers

Sam


#68

That’s great !
Thanks for the update :slight_smile:


#69

I’m checking the file diffs, but I’m not getting anywhere fast. I was trying to merge the v4l-updatelee tree (which pulls in crazycat’s changes) with the raspberry pi Linux kernel tree. I noticed that the ts2020 driver isn’t loaded - there’s a missing log message of the sort “i2c i2c-5: Added multiplexed i2c bus 6” in the non-working build, but I can’t see why at the moment.

I did also try the libreelec 9 release - but tvheadend didn’t recognise the tuner.


#70

My tests with v4l-updatelee were not sucesfull.
Crazycat’s pull an update some days ago.

If your receiver is reported as loaded in dmesg, there should be no reason for tvheadend not recognizing-it.
For solving that problem in my system, i’ve inserted a small change in tvheadend.service, to wait for every /dev/dvb/adapter frontend loaded in the system after an initial 10 seconds delay.

Edit /lib/systemd/system/tvheadend.service and add ExecStartPre:

ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c "sleep 10; for adapter in /dev/dvb/*; do COUNT=60; echo tvheadend testing $adapter; while [[ $COUNT -gt 0 ]]; do [[ -e $adapter/frontend0 ]] && COUNT=1; ((COUNT--)); sleep 1; done; done"