HDMI-CEC seems to stop working after a couple of hours

All I have to do is reboot the Vero and everything works, I don’t have to reset the TV, AV or any cables.

Cheers

Hi @sam_nazarko
As requested the logs for the HDMI lock up.

https://paste.osmc.tv/icefudurut

Here is an update on my side! When resetting the CEC adapter on the Vero to defaults, I noticed the default port would be HDMI 1 (mine was plugged into HDMI 2). So for the sake of something different to try, I have had my Vero plugged into the HDMI 1 port on my LG BX for the last couple of days (after resetting the CEC adapter to default) and for the last couple of days, no EARC lock-ups or CEC panics.

I am unsure what the expected behaviour is, but I will take it. For others, please go and see your default HDMI port. Put in that for a few days and see if it works!

1 Like

Interesting indeed - I am not sure how (or if) this would work with those of us using AVRs. My Vero is currently plugged into the 5th HDMI port on my Denon AVR (labelled “Media Player”), then ultimately passed through to the TV via the “Monitor 1 (ARC)” HDMI output port.

I could certainly swap it with the device using the first HDMI input (labelled “CBL/SAT”), but I would also have to change the input labelling setting so I could continue to use the same fixed-labelled buttons on the IR remote to select them…

I am still on the March 2022 release due to this ongoing issue and honestly the system on this release is incredibly stable/working great.

I would love to get back onto a supported/current release but I have little time to fiddle with things any more…if there were a fix I’d be happy to upgrade and try it out.

If anyone has an AVR it would be v. interesting to see if this is indeed the issue/workaround.

@sam_nazarko - any more progress from your side?

Not yet – however I have set up a CEC environment so I can look in to this properly at the end of the week. I’ll be testing this directly from Vero to TV, without an AVR or additional peripherals connected to the TV.

2 Likes

Nothing changed with the latest Kodi version and latest builds, the CEC crash still occurs after a couple of days. Unfortunately this is a showstopper for me. I don’t have any CEC issues with any other box (google Chromecast, Fire 4k max) and my Samsung qled tv. This bug will probably be present on the latest box (Vero 4k+ successor) so unfortunately I will not buy it.

Fully agree. I have Vero4K+ disconnected due to CEC issues. I’m tired to have calls from my wife complaining of no sound when she wants to watch TV. Vero CEC problems cause HDMI ARC to stop working.

And you base that on what? The Vero V is completely different hardware. My 4K had CEC issues to the point that I physically disabled pin 13 but I haven’t seen anything amiss yet with the V and it is connected to a Denon AVR which is then connected to an LG OLED with ARC enabled. That combination happens to be what we have gotten more reports of CEC issues from than anything else with the 4K.

Because it is a software introduced bug and new Vero will run on same software so unless it is fixed, it will behave similarly.

It will be fixed. I am testing on a Vero 4K+.

Thanks Sam for your efforts.

I reverted back to the March 2022 release which I found was the last build without the CEC issues and it’s something I’d recommend to do until Sam has found a way forward.

Is this on the 4.9.113 kernel?

Sam

Linux osmc 4.9.113-64-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 28 02:52:02 UTC 2022 aarch64

Okay, so the update to 4.9.269 did indeed cause issues for you.
That’s interesting because I did a lot of work on restoring previous behaviour.

I am looking further and hoping to have something for testing this week

Sam

Thank you for your effort. I have tried some test versions you have made in the past but none of them worked and I was hoping that with new Kodi version this bug will be fixed. I am eagerly waiting for new test version.

Hi,

Can you please try these images?

USB: OSMC
SD: OSMC

I think there may be a bootloader change that I need to make, but I am not 100% sure yet.

This will give you an OSMC installation which can run off external media and won’t invalidate your existing setup, so it will let you test things in a temporary state.

Please shut off all equipment at the mains for a couple of minutes so that the CEC bus is completely reset.

I’d like to get CEC resolved for the next update.

Many thanks,

Sam

Hello, I have installed this image you have provided. Is there something in particular that I should try or just use it normally and see if it crashes the CEC? Should I turn on logging or something? Thank you.

The first step would be to just use it normally. Note that the image isn’t installed. You’ll need to keep the USB / SD in the device while using it.

While using the test build running from USB tonight I have received a message that updates are available. It has updated itself but I wonder if 1. the test build was updated on USB or on the unit 2. if it has killed/overwritten the CEC patch aou have put in this test build.
Can you please clarify, thanks.