HDMI issue (possibly refresh switching) with Vero 4K and Sony TV

I expect you’re going to need more info from me to diagnose this, but I’ll throw the thread out there anyway just in case you have come across this before.

So I have my Vero 4K connected directly to my Sony TV (KDL-40EX403) and I have refresh rate switching turned ‘on’ and set to Start/Stop.

If I watch a file and let it run all the way to the end, the screen just stays black (no kodi UI showing), and if I leave it like that the TV will eventually reboot. Which is odd because the TV has never done anything like that before. If I put the TV into standby and bring it back out while on the black screen, the UI comes up as normal. And if I stop a file before it ends, the UI comes up as normal.

Now, I don’t know if this is related or not, but on my Wetek Core with refresh rate switching, the Sony TV would bring up its OSD when the refresh rate changed. A bar would show at the top with the current source and refresh rate listed. This doesn’t happen with the Vero 4K, it just starts playing right away. Now this doesn’t bother me at all, in fact it is better because the TV OSD coming up was 1. Annoying, and 2. Would cause a pause in audio output in certain circumstances. I’m really only mentioning this point to illustrate the difference in behaviour between Vero 4K and Wetek Core because it could point to a difference in your implementation.

Oh, also I know refresh switching is working (in spite of no TV OSD to tell me) because playback on long panning shots it silky smooth with no distinctive stutter at all.

Any thoughts?

We would definitely need to see a log to know what’s happening here.

If an OSD comes up when Refresh Rate changes with other devices, then it should do for the Vero 4K as well

Sam

OK Sam, I’ll see about getting some more info and some logs.

I changed a TV setting this morning (Sony Theatre Mode, which has something to do with 24p sync), and instructed the family to monitor the behaviour at the end of files to see if there is a difference.

I know that the TV OSD was very annoying on the Wetek box which is partly why I stopped using it. Sadly since my Wetek box is completely dead (the reason I got the Vero), I cannot check the behaviour anymore.

I may try some blurays and see what result I get.

I’ll keep you posted!

Also check the setting “Match refresh rate to monitor” and make sure that is off.

What refresh rate and resolution do you have the GUI set for? I’d suggest 1080p/24 or 60.

Also check the setting “Match refresh rate to monitor” and make sure that is off.

I’ll check that thanks.

What refresh rate and resolution do you have the GUI set for? I’d suggest 1080p/24 or 60.

GUI is set to 1080p 50. I wont use 24p for the GUI, I would have thought it would lead to motion blur?

That setting is only for the GUI, so just choose whatever you prefer. 50 will be fine (I use 60 as I’m in the US). I’ve really not noticed a difference between 24 and 60 in the GUI…

That setting is only for the GUI, so just choose whatever you prefer. 50 will be fine (I use 60 as I’m in the US). I’ve really not noticed a difference between 24 and 60 in the GUI…

Yeah, I set mine at 50 because I’m in the UK and that is what my TV is used to.

When I mentioned motion blur, I was talking about the UI. The skin I use has smooth scrolling posters that move pretty fast, I would expect to see a bit of motion blur at 24p. It’s not a big deal anyway, but as you say 1080p50 should be fine for GUI.

I’m going to have a poke around the settings of the Vero and the TV to see if I can replicate the old behaviour of the TV OSD popping up. Not that I want that to happen mind you, it a royal PITA.

The OSD will pop-up on resolution/refresh rate changes.

The real reason I chose 60 is not that I think it looks better than 24, but because most of what I watch is 60, so I don’t get the OSD pop-up unless I watch a movie or UK TV encoded at 50.

I see what you mean.

Well my TV OSD isn’t popping up at the moment, yet 24p playback is 100% smooth.

I’m going to have to do some proper checking tonight when I get home.

I checked my TV. On the Kodi GUI it correctly says 1080P50 when I press i. It also says 1080P24 when playing film content. So I’m happy that my TV is working properly and that Kodi is switching the frame rate automatically. The fact the OSD no longer flashes up the fact that the refresh rate has changed is a mystery.

I checked again tonight, and I can replicate the black screen effect over and over with no problem.

I created a debug log: Dropbox - File Deleted

maybe it will shed some light. The issue happens on the second play of the file. The first time I accidentally skipped past the end of the file.

In future, upload debug logs via My OSMC. This saves us having to download the files.

If enough people complained about your TV, it may have received a firmware update changing the behaviour

In future, upload debug logs via My OSMC. This saves us having to download the files.

I wanted to do that Sam but couldn’t see how. You should be able to view right in dropbox, no need to download.

Hi,

Too upload load logs via myosmc:

Thanks Tom.

If Kodi’s Settings > Player > Adjust Display Refresh Rate > is set to Off

I would only use a 50Hz GUI if watching 25fps IPTV or 25i UK / Euro / Oz / Nz OTA TV.
Not 24p video playback. Use 60Hz if you are not refresh switching.

24p Movies / TV played at a 50Hz refresh rate will exhibit nasty video sync. It’s exactly why Kodi has the Adjust Display Refresh Rate option to begin with.

Some TV’s can virtually eliminate 60Hz / 24p - 3:2 pulldown video judder:

Had the issue again last night, but even worse. The TV would not come back even after being put in standby and brought back. None of the TV OSD would come up, nothing!

I just had to wait until the TV rebooted itself a few minutes later. After that, all fine again. :confused:

Do you have another TV you can use for short tests?

So, if you’re TV starts unwanted reboots I don’t see the logic that other devices are guilty for this behavior. Such consumer devices must be robust against all kind of external influences. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the Sony. Have you checked for latest/greatest firmware?

Do you have another TV you can use for short tests?

Yes, I’ll try this tonight.

So, if you’re TV starts unwanted reboots I don’t see the logic that other devices are guilty for this behavior.

I don’t believe I ever placed blame on other devices, or even solely on the Vero. I’m just looking for a possible solution. Though, I do think it is significant that this behaviour is not triggered by any other device (of which I have many), and didn’t present on my previous Wetek Core box.

Such consumer devices must be robust against all kind of external influences.

I agree.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the Sony.

Me too.

Have you checked for latest/greatest firmware?

No, but it is an older model so I doubt it is getting much support these days.
It’s something I will investigate, but I prefer not to mess with Firmware on devices that have worked well for a long duration. You just don’t know what issues you might be bringing to the table.

Should I create and upload a new log via the correct method, or will the one I submitted previously suffice for this one time?

Hi,

I would upload again via Myosmc, as the dropbox one is not a full debug log.

Thanks Tom.