HDMI - Pink screen sometimes

OK…I have done as you said…rebooted and I am staring at a blank screen…and have been for 10 mins…I guess this hasn’t worked.

Any helpers here?

Thanks,

M

Took it back to my LG modern TV, powered it up and the picture was there…phew…disabled Force RGB output for now, transferred it back to my Sony TV in the other room and back to square one!

Feel we are close to solving this though and await your feedback.

Thanks,

Michael

So you don’t get a picture whatsoever with the ‘Force RGB’ option enabled?
Can you upload some logs via SSH (grab-logs -A) when this happens?

No…that was the blank screen bit…:slight_smile: I did ssh into it and did the recent script and the screen flickered a little but still blank. I have tried this on all 4 HDMI ports on the Sony TV. I’ll try and add logs remotely… exciting stuff this!

Thank you for speedy service.

Michael

is there a script to disable RGB output…bit of a pain setting it up all next door…
Cheers,
M

You can edit it in ~/.kodi/userdata/settings.xml programatically.
Stop Kodi first with systemctl stop mediacenter

Need to see logs when you have no picture.

https://paste.osmc.tv/eveyomabur

Here you go!

Thank you Sam.

Michael

To use RGB on your Sony you will have to set the output to 8 bits.

echo 8bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

That setting won’t survive a re-boot. If it works (ie solves the pink screen issue) you will have to add a line to /etc/rc.local:

echo 8bit > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

ooo…thanks Grahamh…will I have to do this every time I boot up? Is there a way to revert back to how it was in case it doesn’t work…don’t want to brick my Vero4k…

Thank you
Michael

The RGB setting made in Kodi sticks. The 8-bit setting doesn’t unless you add it to rc.local.

OK…I’ll try the first stage and revert back in due course.

Thanks again for yours and Sams help.

Michael

OK…I have run the script echo 8bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
I have also enabled Force RGB output but NOT rebooted.

I will watch some TV later on and report back.

Thanks
M

You need to reboot. They are asking you to test with 8 bit RGB output so you will reboot, get the blank screen, SSH and force 8 bit which should bring your picture back, and then you test to see if the problem goes away. If it does then you can add the 8 bit output setting to /etc/rc.local which will then make the 8 bit setting automatic on boot so you don’t have to ssh back in every boot and change it manually.

Thanks…so many of you guys on the button!

I’ll get to it.

Michael

Well, it works by jove! Full six hours of playback…no pink screen, so big thanks for that.

To add a permanent solution I understand I have to add a line to /etc/rc.local. (echo 8bit > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr - does this need a hashtag before like the other lines below?) But where exactly? This is what is in the folder below:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0

Thank you.

Michael

You need to add it above the “exit 0” line. Without hashtag.

Excellent, thanks for this.

Michael

Well, I’m so close and yet…
I have located the file using Cyberduck 7.7.1 on my Mac, however I can’t edit the file, it says ‘Permission denied. Please contact your web hosting service provider for assistance’

Any help out there please? Somehow I need to set permissions but am unsure how.

Thanks,

Michael

assuming Cyberduck is a terminal (no Macs here) just go
sudo nano /etc/rc.local for a simple editor to add that line.

Only a SFTP client. So this is not working what is tried to achieve here.
@tgood I think the eaisest is just open a terminal on your MAC and then ssh osmc@IP-OF-OSMC you then have ssh shell on your OMSC in which you can start the editor with sudo nano /etc/rc.local to edit the file. You can exit nano with Ctrl-X and y to save the content.