HDR Banding issue

I followed these instructions to the letter, but I still have the banding issue. Also tried a reboot but still no dice.

Was there another update I needed to install to make this temp fix work? I haven’t installed anything except the latest automated OSMC update.

What is your current version?
Provide grab-logs -A so we can check!

Hi! No nothing else than latest version should be needed. As fzinken said, please provide logs.

If you’re connected via ssh and start a movie you can try

echo round1 >/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug

Manually to see if it changes anything.

Thanks, @fzinken & @Martorias.

https://paste.osmc.tv/xaxejeluca

The banding is very obvious in the Fox logo intro to “The Shape Of Water”. Playing it back on my PC doesn’t show the same problem, although my PC isn’t HDR.

I did try running the command manually during the intro, but no effect.

You are on the latest version.
Could you try cd /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0 && sudo echo round1 > debug

Enter that while the movie is playing?

Edit: nm. Tried it before I pressed play, and during. The issue still persists. It’s odd. Should I disable the Kodi callback before trying it?

Yeah while it’s playing or paused i guess. Very strange. Disabling the addon shouldn’t matter.

I found it was still necessary to have the 10bit forced command for this fix to work. Run “echo “444,10bit” | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr” or place in /etc/rc.local first then reboot and try again. I know Sam had mentioned it should be automatic in the latest public update but I had to use it for it to work for me.

Works like a charm, thanks a lot!

There are still situations where you need to do this manually

That’s what I assumed. Just glad these little tweaks are sorting out issues quite nicely. Thanks Sam

So to be clear, I SSH into the Vero, and enter:

echo “444,10bit” | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

The result I got was:

tee: /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr: No such file or directory
444,10bit

I feel like that’s not what was meant to happen…

Are you on the latest OSMC version?
What is happening if you do cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr?

Nothin’ at all. As in, just a blank line is returned.

And yep, I’m on the latest OSMC update.

There’s a typo in the first line:
/sys/class/amhditx should be /sys/class/amhdmitx

And THAT’S why you post screenshots! :joy:

Banding issue Is fixed. Will this command persist across reboots, updates etc? Will it have any negative impact on other video types?

Thanks for the help, all.

Well copy/paste would be as good as :wink:

1 Like

The 444.10bit command won’t persist past a reboot, you have to put it in the rc.local file

1 Like

Can’t copy/paste with Bash on Windows. Hence how I fat-fingered the command in the first place!

That would be totally new to me