HDR Banding issue

Putty only supports right-click and no Windows copy/paste shortcuts… Only the powershell and Windows command line do support this (in Windows 10).

Yes, using putty, only highlight the desired text, then paste. No need to ctrl-c or specify “copy”

Normally I use putty for this stuff, but lately I’ve been using Bash more often to try and improve my Linux skills.

What do you mean? What do you think the difference is? Command line in putty is the same as console.

At the risk of continuing to derail this thread OT, I don’t just use it as an SSH terminal. It’s also useful for building Linux “muscle memory”, for lack of a better term. Since it’s not an environment I live in regularly I tend to data dump a lot of the basics of how to actually navigate it without an occasional refresh.

FYI:
round0 or 1 doesn’t have any effect on my setup.
dither1 does the trick and removes the banding.

Latest kernel (-71), no forced 444,10 - my vero 4k detects it on it’s own.

Without the 444,10bit thing, are you sure you get a 10bit signal?

My projector doesn’t show the bitrate, only 4:4:4 HDR10
I thought this is 10bit then.

Ok hard to tell then, but without the 444,10bit i get 8bit “hdr”. Try set that and then see if the round and dither changes like for me and the others

OK, will test this right away.

Seems you are right, with both (444,10bit or 444,12bit) round1 does the trick. Strange thing: with 444,10bit dither1 kills the picture, with 444,12bit it does nothing.
So I will stay at 444,12bit for now. Is there any downside on this, for example with SDR content?

Cool! This probably means you were running 8bit before :slight_smile: i havent seen any issues with non-10bit/hdr stuff at all, and seems no one else have so think you’re safe. If not, please report any findings :slight_smile:

Yeah! Thanks.
I really thought HDR is always > 8 bit

I believe it always is, as in all material for hdr movies etc is 10bit, but 8bit hdr seems to be technically possible to trigger. Perhaps someone has more knowledge but you should be good now :slight_smile:

@Martorias / @sam_nazarko
I am following this thread and will install this script as per “Martorias” steps.

However my question is when this will be fixed permanently as I got 3x VERO4K boxes and I don’t want to configure this temp fix to all?

Next question is once the permanent fix available do I need to remove this Temporary fix or will the update will take care of removing the temp fix?

It will be fixed shortly
For proper effect, you will want to remove it

1 Like

Thanks @sam_nazarko. I will stick to Jan version until this is fix permanently then. Once it fixed I would really appreciate a post on this thread as I will monitor it.

1 Like

Feedback for my Setup: Vero 4k -> Pioneer SC-LX502 -> LG OLED55B6D
The new default of round1 did not do it for me. I have to set it while the HDR video is playing, then it has an effect. If i stop the video and start it again the effect is lost again.
I have 444,10bit set and my avr confirms that it gets YCbCr444 30bit

That is exactly how the workaround works for now untill Sam has a fix

Yup that’s the current state. Sam is working on a permanent fix, until then you can use my guide above for a workaround