HDR Banding issue

@mule / @Martorias I did some fresh tests this morning (latest stretch devel build - kernel 3.14.29.68) and my findings are more or less consistent with yours. For clarity:

1. Settings are not persistent, must be re-executed for every playback.
  2. dmesg produces hdmitx: system: for all changes but doesn’t confirm what has been changed.
  3. dither1: produces flickering
  4. dither0: removes flickering
  5. round0: removes banding
  6. round1: removes banding

So only one difference for me I think- I can set round0 OR round1 and it solves the banding - it just needs to be set to something. Not sure if that’s the case for you as well.

I don’t have a great test environment right now as I’ve got the kernel modules loading issue so not getting any hardware acceleration or HDR. Should probably leave Sam alone for now to fix that I think :slight_smile:

My setup: Vero4k (444, 12bit) > Denon X3300W > LG OLED B6

FWIW my setup is very similar (Denon X3300W and LG B6 but pretty close). I also use ARC for the TV’s apps and have no issues.

Is your setup like this:

Vero > Denon Amp > LG TV?

If so ARC shouldn’t be a factor unless you’ve maybe plugged the Vero into the HDMI input on the Amp marked TV. Probably worth starting a new thread though, this one is already getting pretty derailed :grin:

Aha so its not used by the vero, but still interfering some way. Strange stuff, should probably be its own thread

You are right: Setting round0 or round1 removes the banding. No difference between those both values.

With the March update I don’t have now hdr, plus the network is slow. The uhd streaming movies from qnap nas and optoma uhd65 are shattering. Before the update I didn’t have any problem with smooth playback except the banding that with January I didn’t have it. So instead to improving things with the box are getting worst. I start to regret that I bought it. How can I go to January firmware’s? Anybody has step by step instructions? We don’t have to be hackers to watch a movie!!!

There’s an issue which disables hardware acceleration which is why you get stutters. You can re-download the vero4k software from january via the installation tool found on website. Put it on a microsd and reinstall. This will unfortunately be a clean installation but you can chose which ever update you want

Can you guide me there? Do you think another update coming to re activate the hw acceleration?

I hate to do everything from the beginning.

You can find a guide here Reinstalling OSMC - Vero 4K - OSMC

I’m 100% sure this will be fixed very soon, hopefully some time today :slight_smile:

Thanks then I am gonna wait. Too lazy to start from the beginning.

1 Like

Same results for me: dither1 makes flickering return, dither0 removes flickering again, and with round0 or round1 I notice a nice improvement on banding, can’t difference between the two options.

I only see LG users who have banding fixed, those who had the flickering before…
Like I said before, no change in banding with the example video Martorias posted.

I had flickering before, now it’s gone and banding is clearly improved with round0/round1 settings. I’m not on a LG OLED, just a low-medium end Philips PUS6262/12.

The flickering was a general issue which could (in a much less strongness) be seen on other equippment like beamers from Sony. The LG OLEDs just seem to intensify the issue.

If I remember correctly you are the only one in this thread who says that the debug option “round” doesn’t have any positive effect in regards of banding. What equipment are you using and would you be so kind to take a picture of the banding you are experiencing after applying the debug setting “round”.

It seems with the latest build of the kernel (3.14.29-68) it only does software decoding or some sorts … it takes 400% cpu according to top when playing a movie.

When I enable 444,10bit my bluetooth behave erratic like I mentioned before and disconnects quite some times.
Trying to reconnect gives a very informative error: Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed.

I managed to play the test file Martorias mentioned before, it seems less banding and the round0/1 settings didn’t seem to do anything, but maybe that is because of the software decoding.

Hard to see, but it looks like it looks at my screen before applying the round setting.

Testing with the latest version should be avoided because as you already mentioned there are some serious bugs (e.g. no hw decoding) in it.

Yeah good to know after I updated :stuck_out_tongue:

Will probably just do a reinstall to January image … this is getting ridiculous :frowning:

This is interesting, and suggests that the issue is actually caused by an uninitialised register. I’ll make a post here shortly with some further improvements re. the banding issue.

For those that experienced problems with playback, you should be able to update and find the problems are now resolved.

Sam

@vagos1103gr hi it seems like a fix is out now so give it a shot :slight_smile:

What version is the latest fix?