HDR Banding issue

FYI: this is not a fix for banding; just for the playback issues. But I expect to make some testing for a proper banding fix available shortly.

Sam

I confirm that the playback performance problem is now solved, however banding is still there!
Samsung 65KS8000 (US naming is KS9000) and a Denon AVR X3300W. Vero 4K is connected to the AVR

Patience – I’m building some improvements now :slight_smile:

Sam

no pressure, just wanted to provide feedback :slight_smile:

@sam_nazarko
Tried the new banding fix (patch for videoplayer), but sadly have to say that it is not working. Once again only setting round0/1 after playback manually via command line fixes the banding.
Yes, the log shows that the patch was active:

INFO: Fix potential banding issue with material

Maybe some kind of timing issue? Playback not fully initialized? Just guessing.

Ok, I got it working now as well.

This didn’t work:
echo “round0” | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug

This did work:
cd /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0 && sudo echo round0 >debug

So luckily I’m on the same line as the rest :slight_smile:

Nice! That’s how i got it working at first as well. Im currently using kodi callbacks calling a script that does

echo round1 >/sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/debug

Aahh didn’t know the existence of that addon, would be superb if it could the difference between a 8bit and 10bit video aswell, then all would be resolved for video playback :wink:

Are there any differences for 8-bit content atm? I tried using the round1 on a normal tv show and couldnt tell a difference.

You could probably fish out the 8/10bit flag in a script and run that instead

It isn’t really the bitdepth that is the problem, but the colorspace.
All 4K 10 or 12bit is connected to the BT2020 colorspace, but the kodi menu in 4K should have BT709, so it colors over saturated.

But well, that is a whole other story than the banding issue :wink:

Right, but it changes color space according to video source anyways? Or what do you mean is the issue? Sorry if it’s off topic

It doesn’t change colorspace, try running 4K material in 10bit+ in BT709 colorspace, you can’t right now.

Oh sorry I don’t have any 4k 10bit non-bt2020 material, just regular 1080p changes color space accordingly

True 1080p material is displayed good.
If you set you GUI to 4K and enable 10bit it should display in BT709, you will notice the over-saturated colors then.

Ah allright. I see this as a non-issue since running the gui at 4k is a little slow at times so I keep it at 1080p :slight_smile:

What’s the latest version?
I’m on 2018.03-2 and still have the hardware acceleration issue. :unamused:

Please have a look under settings/system info… which kernel version is shown there?

If you set it at 4K atleast you will know what I mean, I had some 4K 10bit rips of The Grand Tour which where in BT709, for files like those it is irritating and you need to watch those at 8bit for the correct colors.

Linux osmc 3.14.29-69-osmc for me if I run uname -a

@Theetjuh ok, I feel you. Not sure if it can be forced somehow or if its a kodi issue. Oh well, another thread perhaps :slight_smile:

I’ve started working on decoupling this.

1 Like