HEVC issues with Vero4K+

Here are my logs. This is the same stuttering issue. Happening with maybe half of the 4K HEVC, Remuxed movies that I have. There is no difference in how I’m ripping them, storing them, or playing them. All of them have no issues playing when directly accessed on a computer or a device with native playback. I am running Jellyfin for Kodi, with no changes made to it recently. Everything was working perfectly without any problems up until about a week or two ago.

https://paste.osmc.tv/nequsapaci

Maybe a long shot. Could you and @theoldfarter and @Cyberagent try setting the GUI to same resolution as the video you are playing before starting to play? Only I’ve got an issue with one 4k clip where it plays fine like that but not when I use Adjust refreshrate On Start/stop.

Will do it tomorrow as I am off to bed now. Thanks for your help to find a resolution.

1 Like

No difference when changing the resolution to 3840x2160. The stutter was happening at different frames, but still stuttering in the same way.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m guessing that log shows a video that doesn’t play well. Can you restart Kodi (or reboot) and get logs when you play a video that does play OK?

Rebooted twice. Played Dune, which is easily the largest file size 4K file I have, without issues. Here are the logs for that:

https://paste.osmc.tv/azaziqabuc

I’ve also uploaded a video from earlier tonight where I am playing Dune without issue, followed by Atomic Blonde, which has a severe stutter in the video. After the boots I did for the previous log, there was less time between the stuttering. But, you can still see the difference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q1nrAxfJyVpKnDgrPm_2eJPKK2H5y1sK/view?usp=sharing

I am headed to bed soon, but hopefully those help for now.

1 Like

Here is a HEVC content that always works without problems.

https://paste.osmc.tv/hiqinefodi

No difference when I change the resolution to 3840x2160.

Does it help if you skip forward while the movie plays?

No. That does not help.

MVC is the encoding, “frame packed” is the mode used to display/transport the video to the TV/projector. So MVC is the input and “frame packed” is the output :slight_smile: .

Changed GUI to match the 4K movie resolution. Makes no difference, still plays badly.

4K movie playing badly. Played a bit of a 3D movie, which played OK. Back to playing the 4K movie, which still played badly.

Makes no difference. The 4K movie still plays badly.
One thing I did notice is that sometimes on the jump forward (using the top button), there is a small amount of green pixelation across the very bottom of the screen. It does not happen all the time when jumping forward and not every 4K movie, that is playing badly, is affected.

This is affecting basically any playback, but doesn’t always show. We’re aware of it, but not sure what it’s caused by. As it doesn’t seem to have an effect on playback itself, it doesn’t have top priority… Getting 4K playback working for everyone has. :+1:t2:

“Getting 4K playback working for everyone has”
Any roadmap for this?

What do you expect with that question other than: we’re working on it… ? As you can see in this thread. It’s all about trying to nail down the issue and thus solving it.

4 Likes

It’s been a while – but we haven’t been sitting around.
We are planning to release an update with some significant video improvements in the near future, but we need some feedback. I’ve sent a PM to affected users, which @grahamh thankfully kept track of.

As fixing these playback issues are a priority, we will delay our transition to Debian Bullseye to make sure that these issues are addressed first.

If you’re suffering from this issue and haven’t received a PM, let me know and you can be included in the testing.

1 Like

Hey Sam, I have that issue at the Vero4k only. The Vero4k2 seems to work fine.
Unfortunately the first unit is at our summer house/vacation - I will be back there only in 7 weeks. If it is not fixed by then (which I don’t think :smiley: ) - let me know. I’ll be able to tinker and test then.

1 Like

Sounds good.