HLG UHD Rec 2020 playback

Hi there - just got my Vero 4K+ - and have started playing 2160p25 UHD HLG Rec 2020 h.265 content.

My Vero 4K+ doesn’t seem to trigger HLG HDR mode on my Sony UHD HDR TV - I have tried with and without 4:2:2, and with and without HDR Auto and Force Passthrough enabled.

My CoreElec ODroid S905X3 seems to cope fine with the same content.

Also - sometimes when I play this content I get a 1/4 screen video playback top left with a strange diagonal tearing artefact with the video played on a 'slant.

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

Is this with a file or a stream?

Hi there - I’m quite an experienced Kodi user (I’m a moderator over at the Kodi forums in the Hardware section) and have used LibreElec, CoreElec and Android Kodi builds on a number of platforms.

I’m already running 1080p50 as my System resolution and have whitelisted the modes I wish to replay content natively in (to allow my TV to upscale) :

720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60
1080p23.976, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60
2160p23.976, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p59.94, 2160p60

I have tried with both 4:2:2 subsampling enabled and disabled.

My Sony UHD TV (XF9005 FALD HDR model with a 10-bit panel) is fine with 10-bit HDR10 and HLG in both 4:2:0 10-bit and 12-bit and 4:2:2 12-bit modes for (as there is no 4:2:2 10-bit defined in the HDR spec) for 2160p50 and above, and 4:4:4/RGB and 4:2:0 for 2160p30 and below (I’m using an ‘Enhanced HDMI input’ and have that mode enabled (which allows 2160p50 and above 4:2:2 12-bit inputs)

I think I’ve uploaded my logs playing back two files 2160p25 and 2160p50 with either Forced HDR passthrough or Auto HDR modes (the second and third times I played the 21560p25 it did the weird 1/4 screen thing). I’ve yet to see HLG HDR mode enabled.

https://paste.osmc.tv/tanayimowi

If it’s relevant, I’m routing my Vero 4K+ through a Denon AVR (as I do my ODroid C4 and N2 boxes that both play this content correctly in CoreElec)

Getting HLG recognised properly was next on my list after the HDR changes we made in this release. I thought files worked (ie with HLG signalled in the frame headers) but knew there’s an issue with on-line streams.

I assume you are getting HLG played as SDR with a reasonable result which is how the BBC designed it!

EDIT: Oops, ninja’ed by Graham!!! While I’ll leave this up anyway…

There were some issues with HLG playback reported in the v19 testing thread about two weeks ago - I guess they haven’t been fixed yet. If I recall correctly, there were actually two issues - on VP9 videos the TV would switch to HDR rather than HLG HDR; and on certain HEVC videos (but not all - something to do with the frame header) the Vero ends up signalling SDR rec.2020 instead of HLG.

Yep - looks like I’m getting Rec2020 correctly flagged over HDMI, but not an HLG EOTF.

Out of curiosity, Steve, if you go here:

and download the TravelXP video, does that play correctly?

Media Info for the video section of the two files below :

Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : HLG
transfer_characteristics_Original        : HLG / BT.2020 (10-bit)
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate                                 : 19.5 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 7 346.965 FPS
Original frame rate                      : 50.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.000
Stream size                              : 20.0 GiB
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.2020 (10-bit)
transfer_characteristics_Original        : HLG / BT.2020 (10-bit)
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant

Off-topic question, but do you never play 480 or 576 stuff? Or do you prefer to have the Vero upscale those?

I’m not sure what to make of that. Need to dig out my HDMI spec.

Yes - that triggers HDR HLG mode on my display (though the content is not great quality)

I wonder if this is related to MKV vs Transport Stream carriage - or is it to do with HEVC SEI vs other forms of signalling?

1 Like

The 2160p50 clip may have been processed via ffmpeg before it reached me - and in ffmpeg you have choices to flag primaries, transfer characteristics and EOTFs ISTR - but some double up on each other in a confusing way…

The 2160p25 clip is an ffmpeg download of a DASH stream from a bona fide source.

That suggests you have the same issue the rest of us ran into two weeks ago, rather than a new and previously-unknown one. :crossed_fingers: