Home menu customisation thumbnails (OSMC skin)

This might be a bug, I’m pretty new to OSMC (came here after getting frustrated at how long OpenElec 6.0 has been stuck in beta), but on my Pi 2 with the September 2015 update if I go to the “Customize Home Menu” section of the skin settings and try to edit the thumbnails I get a “Browse for image” page but the contents are pretty useless. It shows 3 options that seem to be three of my add-ons with no real rationale that I can see why just those three are listed (and in fact one has been subsequently deleted but is still shown as somewhere I might want to browse for a thumbnail image).

As I say, I’m not sure if this thumbnail setting dialogue is a bit broken but what I’d really like is an option to set “None” on that page so that a particular home menu item has no thumbnail at all. (I’m assuming here that the thumbnails are the little icons that are shown to the left of the text when a menu item is highlighted, e.g. the spanner icon for settings.)

Personally I don’t see the point of having thumbnails on my home screen, especially when adding an add-on to the home menu seems to select a default thumbnail that really grates and doesn’t fit in with the others, so I’d really like the ability to go through all the items on my home screen menu and set the thumbnails to “None” to suppress them all.

Apart from this I’m really not finding much not to like with OSMC. Very impressed.

• Julian

Hi

We are aware that the skin needs some work and we are planning to revisit that soon and make it better. We haven’t got a regular skin developer which has made our interface lag behind in development a bit. I have made a note of your comments and will ensure that they are addressed when we pick the skin back up.

You mentioned an add-on that we don’t permit discussion of around here. See FAQ - OSMC Forums for more information.

Enjoy OSMC and welcome to the forum

Sam

Thanks, and sorry about the transgression re the add-on, it won’t happen again.

By the way, as more feedback on the skin I’d say please don’t go mad when you revisit it because it really is pretty nice already. It’s one of the few skins that I’ve found that offers a good clean vertical menu layout and can put up a good fight against Amber (my other favourite skin) but the level of customisation of the home screen right down to the sub-menu level in the OSMC skin is exceptional and much more flexible than Amber.

• Julian

sorry deleted erroneous reply

The original poster edited his post so that it no longer mentions the pirate add-on.

Unfortunately it’s impossible to accommodate every key on a remote. But you can either remap existing keys or even use a universal remote (Vero has an IR sensor)

following on from previous post
I obviously haven’t got to grips with the idiosyncracies of this bulletin board (that shows me age!!)
I responded to what I thought was a Sam Nazarko reply to me following my previous post but after posting someone else replied and it is clear that Sam was not talking to me
Cant see how to delete previous erroneous post