How Can I use BubbleDS android control point with Vero 4k renderer

I have had great success with Raspberry Pi 3 with IQAudio sound support card and use this as remote HI Fi source using BubbleDS Next control point with audio media served by minimserver from NAS.

Whilst I do not have the DAC player on board I believe the Vero 4K sound will be adequate for my (older) ears so in theory I should be good to go. How do I set up the necessary software to enable the Vero 4K to work with this setup please?

I would look at Yatse to control Kodi and also to stream from your phone. I guess that should do the same.

Hi and thanks for the suggestion but it is not what I asked. I need BubbleDS, same as existing control points.

You should be asking the BubbleDS developers if their software has the ability to control Kodi.

I’ve used Minimserver on my NAS where my music media is stored, and BubbleUPnP on an Android tablet as a control point for Kodi as a music renderer. I used this and an old amp/speakers in the garage for music while I work.

Not sure how Bubble DS differs, but I assume it’s just BubbleUPnP in a fancy Linn wrapper for the “audiophile” set.

So if the question is can Kodi be used as a music renderer in a DLNA/UPNP implementation, the answer is yes.

Cheers,
Robert

Hi and yes that is where I should start but the BubbleDS forum is down while Linn make changes.
I thinks my concern here is that I need to understand where to start with using any UPnP/DNLA. There must be some generic basics.

What I am trying to do is install upmpdcli on my Vero 4K. I understand it should work with alsa in order to use Songcast. Not sure where mpd fits in and have no idea how all this sits with Vero 4K which is clearly much more than simple RPi device. Will continue to read and learn but any pointers would be appreciated.
Regards,
Budge

Hi,

It may be easier if you provided the instructions you followed on the pi, so we can can advise how to proceed.

Thanks Tom.

OK it is worth a try. Remember very little but after installing IQAudio DAC + I installed upmpdcli using the manual Upmpdcli. All a while ago now so am reading this as I write. You may not have time for all this but I shall keep reading.

Hi,

From looking at this I’m assuming that the pi was running raspbian?

Thanks Tom.

Correct.

Ah not raspbian but OSMC. That would be an issue. Will go back to manual and check packages. May have to compile from source which could be outwith my paygrade!!!

Hi,

I think compiling from the source may be the only way, the only arm packages available for debian stretch are for raspbian. I’ve seen reports that these appear to be compatible with osmc on the pi, but I doubt this would be the case for the vero4k.

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,
I think I should start a new thread with the objective of compiling upmpdcli on the Vero 4K.
Will anybody but me have any interest in this project who may be able to help. I have good instructions from the software manual but am not sure how to start or even if all the packages needed will fit. Any views?
Budge

Hi,

I don’t think requires a new topic, as its related to the original question.

I’m not sure if its in the scope of osmc, but if you could provide the installing from source instructions and a list of the dependencies from the manual. I’ll take a look and advise.

Thanks Tom.

I am still struggling to understand the advantages of this compared to what Kodi can do?

The intention is to have the same user experience and consistency between control points for the benefit of non computer literate family. There are other needs relating to our classical library which are not pop music related. I hope this will help explain but bottom line is not question of what Kodi can do but what we can do with Kodi in this case.

Hi Tom, very many thanks for the kind offer. The manual link above is a good start and so are the compiling examples but before I ask more of you I shall just check with JF who created the program to see if he has any further advice.
Regards,
Budge

1 Like

I ended up removing all UPNP services from my NAS, tablet and Kodi because it was much simpler (from an user standpoint and network services/configuratuon/troubleshooting standpoint) to scan my music into the Kodi library and to put either Yatse or Kore on the tablet to control my garage Kodi.

But I do understand the point of using a dedicated to task control point as it presents the media better, has more flexible searching etc. And the UPNP server, in my case MinimServer, allows for very complex customization in how the music is categorized etc. This is all true particularly true for classical music. So I get it.

What I don’t get is why Kodi’s bog-standard UPNP rendering capability is not enough. It will play what it is told to fetch and render by the control point. Period. Why would there be any need to compile OS kernels etc?

Cheers
Robert

Hi Tom,
The installation of JF’s upmpdcli went like a dream once I had sorted out the security signatures.
I have installed mpd and alsa-utils as well but I need your advice please on best way to configure the hardware. I am not sure whether I should have used mplayer rather than mpd and I sure need help getting anything to play but the control point seems to work up to the point of actually playing.

For configuration what I think I would like to have is the HDMI for all the video and 7.1 audio as this will be used for the screen projector. I am not sure about the Toslink and will need to look at my amplifier which is inaccessible at present. (It is a Yamaha RX-V679 but will need to check with more connections than I can shake a stick at!). For the music I only need good quality stereo so I would like to configure this for the upmpdcli/mpd/alsa/songcast. What I need to understand is now the three sound devices are to be configured.

Hope I am making sense here.
Regards,
Budgie