How to replace background

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded osmc and found out that there’s no more that old style osmc background.
Does anyone know if there’s a way to replace it?

thanx for all your replies.

Currently there is no simple method to change the background of the OSMC skin, it might be added in the future as an option

1 Like

@ooZee

Is there any chance you could provide me background picture from previous version?

thanx

Nope, I don’t have it.

It didn’t exactly have one. It had a white image to which Kodi applied a colordiffuse effect. The color Kodi applied was 0b2430.

1 Like

@BobCrachett

Can you let me know how to do that?

Just use your favourite image editor to create an image with that color.

1 Like

Is there any way to remove the blue tint on the custom backgrounds, so the actual image fully shows?

Now my time is freeing up a little, it’s possible using the git version of the skin (found here - extract it to Kodi’s standard add-on directory and it should be used instead of the included version after a reboot or - if that doesn’t make any sense to you - wait until I have time to finalise all the needed and upcoming changes, which hopefully will be in the next monthly update :))

If you do use this test version, there’s a new option in Skin Settings > Background to disable the default OSMC background color and choose your own - select an opacity of 0% to completely disable the background overlay - you may be prompted to install a required script, and we take no responsibility for readability issues if you do this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That works a treat, many thanks!

Is it normal to not see submenus for some items? E.g. Live TV doesn’t show TV Guide or Recordings but the normal Kodi skin does?

Worked great for me too. Looks awesome with my custom background. Thank you!

1 Like

Reminds me of one of the Windows XP desert backgrounds.
Perhaps we should offer a few alternatives.

That’s actually a photo of mine from The Wave!

Nice – I saw the Grand Canyon and also rafted on the Black Canyon. That’s all I saw of Arizona unfortunately

Brilliant trip.

Unfortunately I noticed it’s downsampling the image somehow and it appears pixelated. When I open the same image with the photo viewer it’s full-resolution.

It’s probably scaling it. You might want to resize it to the native resolution of the GUi, I.e. 1080p

So any background above 1920x1080 will be down scaled to that resolution? A bit disappointing for a 4k device if so.

AFAIK, it’s a Kodi limitation. How to change the default background?

You should be running your GUI at 1080p for the best picture quality (menus, fan art etc)

4K video will obviously be output as 4K

2 Likes