[HOW-TO ] retrOSMCmk2: a RetroPie installer on the Vero4K

It should already be working.
If you are having any issues, please share.

Tried to install on my Vero V. Got to here:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Installing (binary) ‘sdl2’ : SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) v2.x
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Downloading https://files.retropie.org.uk/binaries/bullseye/vero5/libsdl2-dev_2.0.20+1mali_armhf.deb.asc to /
tmp/tmp.X9uZYZBGaH/libsdl2-dev_2.0.20+1mali_armhf.deb.asc …
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404
URL https://files.retropie.org.uk/binaries/bullseye/vero5/libsdl2-dev_2.0.20+1mali_armhf.deb.asc failed to do
wnload.
Unable to install binary for sdl2
Errors:
URL https://files.retropie.org.uk/binaries/bullseye/vero5/libsdl2-dev_2.0.20+1mali_armhf.deb.asc failed to do
wnload.
Unable to install binary for sdl2
FAILED!

This again?!
That was fixed with this

Can you check
apt-cache policy gpg-agent

If it’s there, maybe retry after a reboot.

See below. Rebooted and tried again to install core packages. It went beyind sdl2, so, got further but it’s still running and I am heading out for a bit.

osmc@osmc:~$ apt-cache policy gpg-agent
gpg-agent:
Installed: 2.2.27-2+deb11u2
Candidate: 2.2.27-2+deb11u2
Version table:
*** 2.2.27-2+deb11u2 500
500 Index of /debian bullseye/main armhf Packages
500 https://security.debian.org bullseye-security/main armhf Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I’ve just done a clean re-install of my Vero V and I think I’ve reproduced the error now. I’ll report back when it’s patched.

Looks good to me now. Please delete my repo and clone again. Let me know if there’s any further issue there.

It’s installed now, thanks! That was fast.

I got the same problem on my rpi4 with a fresh install and solved it with this command:

sudo gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys DC9D77FF8208FFC51D8F50CCF1B030906A3B0D31

I tried this again with my vero V, anyone have this successfully runnning? I get the same audio issue like on the 4k+ … no mixer and or audio device found. Tried several combinations.
Vero V is connected to a Denon AVR via HDMI and CEC…

Edit: To answer my question, I figured it out. For the VeroV I set the following to the cfg file of Emustation:

/opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/es_settings.cfg

<string name="AudioCard" value="AMLAUGESOUND" />
<string name="AudioDevice" value="PCM" />

After tha the error went away and I got sound in Emustation and the games.

Another edit: This only seem to work if i disable “fast app switching” otherwise it seems that the audio device is still blocked by kodi. But in this mode the cec is powering down the tv and the avr while switching. This is suboptimal… guess i have to dig a little deeper.

I have no audio on the vero v either in retropie. Setting up audio is emulation station, volume goes to 0% every time I raise it. I am using DEFAULT audio card and MASTER for audio device. AML-AUGESOUND is what shows up on bootup of the vero v in the alsa device list. Have tried a number of combinations.

Thank you for the feedback. I’ve not had opportunity to test with an AVR yet (soon I hope though). Audio certainly works with direct HDMI connection to the TV. Default settings of card default and device master.

The audio settings in ES I thought only affected ES, and weren’t passed along to emulators. It may be I’m wrong there?
Regarding the config settings you used - were you not able to select those from the menu in ES?

Many years ago a user described that annoying auto-shutdown behaviour. One of the reasons I kept maintaining fast-switching (apart liking the obvious fast part) is that it works to prevent that.

Are you routing through an AVR like the user above, or is this a different issue? Direct HDMI connection to the TV should work by default.

As far as I recall I had no option to select the device, just the usual defaults like digital/hdmi/pcm and so on if I recall and Retroarch didn’t played any audio also until i edited the cfg wit hhe device.

Hadn’t had the time to test more yet. Fast switching working fine so far, a little flicker here and there… but seems to block the audio device. Maybe I’ll find a way prevent cec from switching off while exiting osmc. Guess this should be configurable in the guisettings.xml somewhere.

AVR, so I got mine to work. Had to use PCM, and, possibly, had a setting on Kodi to keep the HDMI port active when not in use that says it locks HDMI exclusively, turned that off.

Is there a way to get linapple emulator working? It’s red and you can’t install it.

I’m afraid not. It’s one of the few modules insisting on SDL1.2 (upstream code hasn’t been updated for many years). And there isn’t a Retroarch core for it.
I can only build for SDL2, which has the required Mali support.

Ok, will try from source then. It’s been updated for some time, here:

But it does still use SDL1.2. Retropie supports linapple, as you say not part of retroarch.

SDL1.2 doesn’t support Mali GPUs. So that fork also won’t work for us.

I understand, it builds fine thougn. I am trying to emulate Apple 2e. Tons of games I like. So, mame2003 is out as it wasn’t supported back then. Linapple is out for now though I have found a lr-winapple now that I will try later (and it uses sdl2) that is a current effort. Yes I know I typed win, but it’s actually a linux port. That leaves lr-mame, but that fails to build via retroarch packages install screen. Here’s the logged error:

Compiling src/emu/video/generic.cpp… ompi
…/…/…/…/…/src/emu/validity.cpp: In function ‘void {anonymous}::validate_integer_semantics()’: ompi
…/…/…/…/…/src/emu/validity.cpp:179:31: error: static assertion failed: PTR64 flag enabled, but was compi

179 | static_assert(sizeof(void *) == 8, “PTR64 flag enabled, but was compiled for 32-bit target\n”);
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
make[2]: *** [emu.make:2274: …/…/…/…/libretro/obj/libretro/src/emu/validity.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
make[1]: *** [Makefile:76: emu] Error 2
make: *** [makefile:1359: linux] Error 2
Removing additional swap
Could not successfully build lr-mame - MAME emulator - MAME (current) port for libretro (/home/osmc/retrOSMCm
/home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts

It probably needs to be built with build option “PTR64=0”. But how to do that from the ui install screen? It would appear maybe in lr-mame.sh script? Seems to be what installs it.

You can install SDL1.2 and SDL2 from the command line, but they are generic packages from the online repositories. So they will generally meet the dependencies to allow a build. But they won’t actually work because I build SDL2 specifically for Mali. And that’s not an option for SDL1.2.

In terms of your build issues I suspect it’s configured for 64bit when it needs to be 32bit. You may encounter other issues down the line.
Some packages build out-of-the-box. But to bring the range we currently have, I built individually from the command line, debugging the cmake/Makefile issues and in some cases source bugs.
I either fixed them and added Vero4k platform recognition, which I then PR’d upstream,
Or patched around at build time, in the RetroPie-Setup scripts which again I PR’d to RetroPie to give back to the project and maintain official platform recognition.
I then maintain pre-built binaries that you can install via the scripts. Anything that you build from source, that doesn’t have a binary available is unknown territory.

I haven’t tried to install/build via any Retroarch menu screen so I don’t know what that’s doing. If the libretro core is available in RetroPie-Setup then try building from there. RetroPie may have configured the build more appropriately.

So are you saying that MAME can run your Apple games? But only certain versions? I recall I supply 2003 and/or 2003-plus.
Your winapple may be a better option. Couldn’t find that on a quick search.