[HowTo] Install and use SyncThing on OSMC

You are being far to vague for me to be able to give you a clear answer.

OK, thanks for everything. I will try to reinstall.

Simply delete the /home/osmc/.config/transmission-daemon folder after you stopped the Transmission service. Then start the service again. The folder will be recreated.

“Does not work” is too vague for me, no idea what you mean exactly but if you think it happened because of the automated script, it is most likely an issue of user permissions.

Great, thx for help. I do that and transmission works now :slight_smile:

Hello, do any of you have cpu load issue with syncthing?
I have it on a raspi3 running the last stable version of osmc. The sync folder is on a USB hard drive.
I have set up syncthing following this thread.
The cpu is always at the maximum speed (1200mhz), the load is around 50% or more and the temp reaches nearly 80°C.
Do you have any idea how to cool down my pi3?

I didn’t have those issues, because I use only Syncthing, when I charge phone (normaly once in a day), but I’m also using chipset cooler from asus and one small iron cooler for rpi. Now is my working temparature of rpi2 like 40-50, maybe maximum 61 celsious on heavy usage.

Asus chipset cooler:
https://goo.gl/U5ZGMf

I hop you find that usefully :slight_smile:

1 Like

HI, is this recipe still valid? I was looking for exactly such a setup: need to update dirs remotely.
It seems the script vanished
Thanx

Ok, the manual install worked I just had to adapt the instructions a bit (see below)

this had to be added sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https and release was replaced with stable echo "deb https://apt.syncthing.net/ syncthing stable" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list

great stuff

Hi, this still works in 2021, and, even better, you can just
sudo apt install syncthing
without requiring to modify the sources.lst first.

However, I have the problem that many of the files I synced from my main computer are instantaneously being regarded as modified on OSMC. Could it be that kodi is writing something to the files (or opens them in write mode once)? It creates …-sync-conflict-… files, which I verified to be bitwise identical to the original files.
Also the file attributes (like time created) are identical. I even set the “ignore attributes” on syncthing, but it does not help: syncthing presumes they are different.

Kodi writes to (just) a few files during its startup and shutdown. Can you provide a bit more detail about which files are being affected?

The only affected files I have seen so far are .mp3 files, not cover.jpg or .m3u files. Hence my question about kodi possibly writing metadata like “last heard on” or so into the files. However, as noted, they are bitwise identical.
Thinking of it: maybe it is a behaviour of ssh,umask or something that is mainly related to Syncthing, and not to kodi. I’ll try again with a folder that is not watched by kodi.

I can’t speak for some plug-in or other factor, but Kodi doesn’t edit anything in media files, nor does it touch the modified date.

Thanks for this information! I don’t have any relevant plugins in that respect (only a screenblanker).

You should look for clues in the Syncthing log.

OSMCautosetup.sh link doesn’t work