[HowTo] Installing RetroPie alongside OSMC RC (the easy way)

You can try. You should install emulationstation with it though. When you finished with all the individual emulator installations, hit cancel and the rest should be finished.

nice :slight_smile: now it installed fine !
Awesome.
Still cant play any mame rom though, i put the proper zip inside \OSMC\roms\mame-mame4all
and the roms show up in Retropie but it keeps saying some .bin files (which are in the zip though) are missing.
Guess i have to read about it retropie right? I mean its not that anything went wrong with the installation right?

No clue. Is there more info? Maybe in the mame logs (if there are any).
Did you install it on a fresh image now? If not, some symlinks could still point to the root folder.
Need to investigate this. Maybe there is a problem in the script, too.
Havenā€™t tried MAME myself but will on Tuesday when I am back home.
If anybody else does some debugging or finds some problem or even fixes, let me know.
You can also do commits on github if you like.

Are you sure that you are using the right roms?
Like the ones of the 0.4x romset for Mame4all?

I had the roms in my Mame4all on the PC since forever, so i thought to put them in that folderā€¦butā€¦i placed them in mame-advmame and now they work fine :smile:
Yeah it was a fresh clean install.
Havent tried the other emulators, will give them a go tomorrow.
Awesome work done man :slight_smile:

Installation went ok but I have some questions and problems

1. after installation it says You need to copy ā€¦ bios to ā€¦ Where can I get these bioses? It mentioned only atari 800, NeoGeo and Intellivision.
  2. when I log in to ssh it shows me welcome message from retropie project. How is that possible? Is retropie starting automatically after boot?
  3. it messed my VNC server dependencies as someone mentioned before. Can I somehow fix it without reinstalling my whole system, installing this as first and then all my other packages? It says:
    error while loading shared libraries: libvncserver.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The bios files are only needed by some emulators.
Please refer to the retropie documentation.
I cannot tell you where to find them exept on th roms of the original computers/consoles because that might be against forum rules.
Please use google.

The welcomescreen of RetroPie is automatically installed with the RetroPie setupscript. It has nothing to do with ā€œstartingā€ anything. It is just a modification to your .bashrc file I think. There are some options in the retropie_setup script that can alter it.
To get rid of it just delete everything from

# RETROPIE PROFILE START

to

# RETROPIE PROFILE END

In /home/osmc/.bashrc

For the vncserver:
Try

sudo apt-get install libvncserver0

That should fix it.
Will add that to my script.

Fixed it in the script. Redownload the script and rerun with canceling the RetroPie script.

From now on, there is also version checking in the script.
No need to redownload if you have at least version 1.4 (see third line of the script).
Just rerun and it will fetch the newest version automatically.

1. Ok so if I dont want those 3 emulators, I dont need to do it. Thanks
  2. I dont need to remove that welcome message, in fact I like it. Thanks for explaining.
  3. Thanks, installing that package fixed it. Do I need to redownload the script and run it again?

You do not necessarily need to redownload and rerun, but if you redownload it now (no need to rerun), you will have it updating automatically on every next run.

I guess We will find some new bugs, so it would be good to have it.

Anyway to pair a ds4 controller? I donā€™t think i can install bluez properly. when trying to pair i get

bluez-simple-agent: command not found

Not sure what bluetooth infrastructure OSMC is using.
Did you try to install bluez? Do you have a bluetooth dongle connected? Does your controller work in osmc?
If it doesnā€™t work in osmc, this is not the place to discuss this.
You should make a new topic.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install bluez
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
bluez is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Bluetooth dongle is connected, bluetooth is turned on and un soft-blocked, bluetooth dongle can search and find the mac address of the ps4 controller.

Not sure what you mean in OSMCā€¦just asking if you know how to connect it. I guess iā€™ll make a topic about bluetooth. thanks

Yes, that would be better. I donā€™t have the hardware to test or figure it out. Sorry.

Cheers for the help anyway and the script! great work

This has been working great for me!

Introduced my 14 year old son to 8 bit Ice Hockey (on NES from 1988) todayā€¦ Quite a change from NHL 15 on XBOX ONE. haha

3 Likes

Looking forward to giving this a shot when iā€™ve got a day off and can tinker properly :smiley:

Working great for me as well. Thanks!

Great work :smile:

Do you know how this is installing retroarch? Trying to start an emulator in CLI but it does not recognise the retroarch command.

You can run a SNES rom by calling ā€œretroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/nameofyourrom.smcā€

Would be cool if this could be linked into RCB or Adv Launcher so donā€™t need to leave Kodi.

Hello,
I gave Instructions for the command you need to put into your advlauncher or custom menu shortcut.
Please read the whole first post!
You NEED to quit KODI or it will not work at all as the controls will not work, but all that is taken care of gor you!

It is the script to install retropie, not only retroarch.
The installed executables are not in path so you cannot launch them with the command you specified.

Emulationstation comes with it as a frontend to start every rom for every emulator it contains and they have a pretty clever way to handle multiple emulators and romsets.
Please read about retropie.

Yes i know about retropie and emulation station. I also use the shortcut you provided in the menu for the Kodi skin. Iā€™m also aware that itā€™s possible to directly start the libcore for the emulator in question. So removing EmulationStation and replacing it with Adv Launcher or Rom Collection Browser. Which would close Kodi on start of the rom not on start of the GUI.

so you prefer to launch a rom from rcb and then wait for kodi to quit, run the rom, restart kodi, needing to renavigate to rcb, select another rom, wait again?

Edit: The emulators are located in /opt/retropie/emulators if you really want to start them separately, but I think this would mean too much hassle. So feel free to try some stuff if you like :slight_smile: