[HowTo] Installing RetroPie alongside OSMC RC (the easy way)

Yes, as Kodi is the GUI interface for the media experiance, cutting that to yet another GUI, in terms of emulation station, breaks the dynamic. Keeping it all in Kodi, similar to retroplayer intends to do, would be the best. RCB would work, but as i asked first, the command “retroarch” does not work, even tho retropie wiki says it should?

I gave the path where the emulators are installed. You need to navigate to the path with the retroarch executable and launch it there with ./retroarch … or add this directory to your PATH variable.

Version 1.8 now does not need a customized mediacenter script anymore. Also I switched to the systemctl command and added an option to create the menushortcut in the script.

To update, redownload and/or rerun.

Hey, which ssh Tool did you used, got man errors like debconf unable to initialize frontend dialog,
and something with not working on dumb shell…
thanks

I use different ones, like PuTTY on Windows, normal shell with sshclient on linux, JuiceSSH on Android and iSSH on ios.

If it does not need customized script, will it uninstall the package when updating? Just want to know if it also cleans its shit :slight_smile:

Right now it actually doesn’t revert the mediacenter script, but it should do no harm as the file it looks for when shutting down will never be created and it should be replaced with next osmc update anyway. But I can add that if you like.

Thanks for the excellent script. One question:
If i quit the retropie emulator then starts the emulator again and not the osmc. In your retropie_watchdog file is a command for “restart mediacenter”, but i can’t find this file in the folder. Have you any ideas why the osmc is not starting?

@mcobit ive run the commands that you said mate at the end when its says type emulation station so I did and it says - bash emulationstation command not found what have I done wrong here thanks

Do you mean quitting an emulator or quitting emulationstation?
You have to quit emulationstation to get back to kodi.

If there is no retropie_watchdog.sh file in /home/osmc/ then something went wrong while downloading it. Please rerun the script.

The emulationstation script should be in /usr/bin/. So it should be executable directly from the shell whereever you are.
Are you root? If so, the script needs to be run as user osmc with sudo from your /home/osmc directory to install correctly.

Please also try to reboot the pi and try again.

@mcobit if I go into network osmc on laptop there is a retropie_watchdog.sh file there but how do I start retro pie from ssh and what command do I use also what do you mean by shell sorry noob here I think this is beyond my skill level :smile: how do I get to /usrbin/. via ssh or on osmc or on laptop thanks

If you ssh into the pie, just type emulationstation and hit enter and it should run.
You can also use the shortcut from Kodi way. If you start it directly from the terminal the watchdog script will not be of use at all.
It is just there to detect that it is closed to start kodi again after running from the shortcut.

You can type “cd /usr/bin” followed by “ls -l | grep emulationstation” (without quotes) to see a list of files that are there. Check if emulationstation is amongst them.

When I quit emulation station, it restarts emulation station after 5 seconds. To prevent this I have to press any key on a keyboard but I don’t normally have a keyboard connected. Is there a way to just make it quit to console thereby restarting osmc?

I have no clue why it does that. Let me have a look this evening.
Can you describe exactly how you connect to your pi and what you type to run emulationstation?

Did you try restarting the raspberry?

@mcobit I think the first 2 times I tried installing it didn’t install correctly im in the middle of installing it now and its installing dependencies for all emulators which it didn’t do before hopefully it will work this time :smile:

Please report back if it works. It did work for me yesterday.

You did the full Binary install right?

Yes I restarted. Still the same. I just use Cec to control osmc and I’ve got a Xbox 360 wireless controller connected and working.
Using osmc skin I’ve created a custom shortcut using the command “System.Exec(/home/osmc/retropie.sh)”
This launches emulation station fine.

When I exit emulation station, first time I get just a blank screen before it restarts emulation station. On subsequent quit attempts I can see a message that says press any key to return to console. This has to be a keypress on a connected keyboard.

Thanks for the great work you’ve done on this by the way.