[HowTo] Installing RetroPie alongside OSMC RC (the easy way)

Good to hear that it works.

I cannot do much about game compatibility. That depends on the emulator and romfile.

As I wrote earlier, I will try to include more emulators later on.
Dreamcast and NDS are out of the range of the Pi2 I think.
Although Reicast made good progress.
For NDS, there is no other emulator than Exophases Drastic that could run games fullspeed on the hardware. This emu is closed source though and only available free of chage on the OpenPandora handheld.
Other devices need theandroid version.

Would it be possible to add support for arguments in the retrosmc.sh script allowing for launching es directly to specific games or platforms?
Saw the pull request with the addon for launching the script, a future version could if arguments were supported pull in the games list (maybe even metadata :open_mouth:) and launch titles directly (exciting from those games would still take you to ES, but this would still be sweet)

(Emulation station has the launch command /path/to/emulator %ROM% which made me think that something like this might be possible)

(If retropie is ditched for ignition this might all be in vain though)

Sorry, but I really donā€™t get what you want to accomplish here.

I explained many times why launching games directly from an addon like rcb would not be a good solution.

You can make one script per game if you really want toā€¦

Yeah I know why RCB wasnā€™t an option. If your script implemented forwarding of launch commands it wouldnā€™t be hard to, for example, add your own menu shortcut to launch your favourite game, was just a thought

I have been following this thread for a while and have tried to get this running for over a week with no success. I do fresh install of OSMC stable. Stop the mediacenter, install and run the script from home/osmc, files are generated but no shortcut. retropie.sh does not appear in home/osmc, the skin data file everybody talks about altering does not exist in skinaddons etc.

I see lots of discussion regarding extra features that people want and suggestions of doing something other than what mcobit clearly stated was his aim from the beginning but they are distractions. Surely the goal is to continue to encourage people like mcobit and toast to work towards a working solution that survives the constant changes first and foremost.

Once that goal is achieved then additional features, emulators, controller configs etc can be looked at but they are immaterial if the script is not working.

I have looked at various flavours of Kodi and OSMC seems much better in my opinion. Retropie is great but not wife friendly so having that as the base and running Kodi from there, which is doable, is not a great option for me.

This build style, ie OSMC with a link to Retropie is the single best install concept for Raspberry Pi2 setups that will be used in mixed company. This build if I could get it working and with the mimic skin is the best looking, best running, most wifefriendly build currently available by a long shot.

Please mcobit do not loose faith. All credit to the OSMC guys and the RetroPie guys, they have done, are doing an excellent job. Your vision of combining these two great programs together could easily become the most popular distribution out there for us nerds/geeks with wifes and girlfriends etc.

I think what Iā€™m trying to say is that even though itā€™s not working for me atm, Thank You very much for your efforts and keep plugging away cos itā€™s worth it.

1 Like

If it doesnā€™t work:

1. You have a Raspberry Pi 2, right?
  2. You are using the new script?
  3. The scripts are not in /home/osmc but in a script directory in /opt/retropie
  4. Try launching emulationstation from commandline
  1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. for me itā€™s home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts but Yes
  4. That works and Iā€™ve had no issue setting up my controller, transferring Roms and playing a few games.

Now to just get it added to OSMCā€¦

Oh, maybe I am wrong with 3.
Didnā€™t touch it for some time but setting up again right now.

Hey guys,

Got this installed but the shortcut function doesnā€™t seem to work. I actually use the amber skin, so I switched back to the OSMC skin and the shortcut isnā€™t there even though the script tells me it already exists, so Iā€™m totally confused now.

I also tried adding the retropie.sh to favourites via the file browser and running it from there but this doesnā€™t work either - Iā€™m defo missing something somewhere.

Do I need to run the retropie-setup script?

Crispy it looks like the shortcut isnā€™t created by the script at the moment but mcobit is testing a fresh install, so no doubt weā€™ll have some answers down the track. Follow our recent discussion a few posts back and that will at least get you setting up emulation station for now. BUTā€¦ DO NOT run the retropie setup script, that would not be good as the full setup is not currently supported by retrosmc.

Thanks man, threads a bit on the large side, so Iā€™ll spend a bit go time reading up more, thanks dude.

Somebody here,

who successfully connected XBOX 360 Wireless Controllers
and could help?
There are so many tutorials, but every i have found results in problem, w/o some solutions.

So, somebody could provide a link or some help for a working emulationstation
with those wireless xbox controllers?!

kind regards,
erik

I see the problem with the large thread.

Iā€™ll make a new one when I have a new version and ask the mods to lock this one then.

2 Likes

Topic closed at the request of mcobit.

Thread continued here