[HowTo] qBittorrent on OSMC

Hi there,

Just wanted to explain to you how to install and use qBittorrent on OSMC.
Why qBittorrent? Well, I like it, it’s lighter than Deluge and has more features than Transmission. ^^

First, you need a console/terminal.

You can install the GUI version of qBittorrent like this:

sudo apt-get install qbittorrent

But I prefer the non-GUI version which runs as a deamon (it’s lighter and you can control it with the Web UI). To install it:

sudo apt-get install qbittorrent-nox

To use qBittorrent, you need to launch it manually, like this:

qbittorrent-nox

That’s all. You need to to this everytime you use qBittorrent.

But you can also launch it at OSMC’s startup. It’s not complicated, someone already created a script for this. You can find it here (with detailed explanations).
Here are the principal operations.

Download and install the script with this command line:

sudo wget -O /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon http://launchpadlibrarian.net/38905385/qbittorrent

Modify it with Nano, like this:

sudo nano -w /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon

You need to change the 25th line, like this :

USER=[USERNAME] becomes USER=osmc

Then save the script with CRTL X.

Make the script executable.

sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon

Make sure it is executed on startup.

sudo update-rc.d qbittorrent-nox-daemon defaults

That’s all, have fun downloading. :smile:

Oh and to use the Web UI, you need this:

http://server-ip:8080 
 Username: admin
 Password: adminadmin
1 Like

We have a poll about Transmission, Deluge or qBitTorrent. Most users were keen on Transmission. What does qBitTorrent lack that Transmission has?

Sam

Do you mean what does Transmission lack that qBittorrent has? :stuck_out_tongue:

For me, two features:

• the possibility to create a precise order of downloading contents (first download file #1, then #2 etc.) instead of just putting priority and then the software chooses which download to begin with
  • the support of RSS flux.

No,

From your post, you seemed to imply that the only reason you installed QBitTorrent over Transmission was to preserve resources. Transmission seems the most feature complete torrent client, I’m asking, by installing QBitTorrent, what features are lost?

Sam

Oh ok. I don’t know if qBittorrent without GUI is lighter than Transmission but I didin’t install it because of this, I installed if for the features lacking in Transmission. Sorry if it wasn’t clear. :stuck_out_tongue:

And by installing qBittorrent, you loose no features, you get more.

After changing the line 25 , user = OSMC .
after saving , ctr x
the terminal says.
Error write xxxxxxxxx permission denied
anyone knows why.
Thank you.

You need to use

sudo nano <file.name>

How do you modify the file ?

Ok. Thanks
Now I could save changes.

Maybe this topic could go into the HowTo section. :stuck_out_tongue:

your wish is granted :stuck_out_tongue:

@Cotopaxi

might wanna update it to systemd instead of init.d :smile:

Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:
Why systemd instead of init.d? ^^
Can I do it without deleting and reinstalling everything?

systemd is the official way its simple just look at my howto and try on your machine then add the steps :smile:

and yes you can edit your initial post without ruining anything :smile:

Sorry but I can’t do it.

I removed the execution on startup by doing sudo update-rc.d -f qbittorrent-nox-daemon remove
Then i removed the folder in init.d : sudo rm /etc.init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon
Then I rebooted.
I tried to install the script again : sudo wget -O /etc/systemd/qbittorrent-nox-daemon http://launchpadlibrarian.net/38905385/qbittorrent
I modified the script : changed user to osmc and SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/qbittorrent to SCRIPTNAME=/etc/systemd/qbittorrent.

But when I do the last command, I get this:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo update-rc.d qbittorrent-nox-daemon defaults
update-rc.d: error: initscript does not exist: /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon

If you want to start just sometimes, you can make an icon and run the following command after click:

terminal -e "bash -c 'ssh osmc@ip-address \"/usr/bin/qbittorrent-nox --webui-port=8181 > ~/log_torrent 2> ~/log_torrent_err&\" && sleep 3 && firefox ip-address:8181'"

It will start qbittorrent and then open tab in Firefox. Just replace terminal with you favorite terminal emulator and you IP address in the command. Note that you will need static IP for this.

Can someone confirm if this really removes the startup script?

That will remove runlevel symlinks (prevent startup), but not the script itself.

Sam

To remove the script itself, use this command:

sudo rm /etc/init.d/qbittorrent-nox-daemon

And be very careful with the command rm!!! :cold_sweat:

Oh and if you want to manage your torrents remotely, you can use the Firefox add-on BitTorrent WebUI+ (to add torrents) or Transdroid/Transdrone for Android (on Google Play and f-droid).