[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

That’s another method that works around the autosetup. If it works for you that will be fine.

But use code tags for pasting stuff like this or it will not work as special characters are modifiers for this forum.

@mcobit, I set up my controller two times, I have no /opt/retroarch/configs/all/retropie-joypads/ path. The path that @GodHunt3r suggests neither but I have /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads. With his config, it WORKS !
I don’t know why this config hasn’t been written when I configured my PS3 controller.
Thanks a lot !

One last question, sorry for newbie thing, how do you return to EmulationStation once you are in game ?

escape, f4 or simultaneous start and select (from memory)

1 Like

If you ever find yourself with a problem configuring the joypad keys, just delete es_input.cfg in ~/.emulationstation and restart the retropie script. It should ask you to configure keys again for all connected joypads.

1 Like

Then the auto configuration will never work as they have a custom version of that cfg to run the retroarch joypadconfiguration after the one in es is done.

It takes the presses you entered and puts it into a cfg file in the retroarch-joypads folder.

That works for me since alpha 0.005.

If you had copied everything from above, then press select + start to quit the emulator.

Hey,

trying to get a Xbox 360 Wireless Controller to work. After installing xboxdrv, so far it’s working nicely inside OSMC and Retroarch UI (except for both analogue sticks), just not inside any game – no input whatsoever despite initial controller configuring and via Retroarch menu.

I’m a little overwhelmed by the numerous .cfg files in various folders. There’s

/home/osmc/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg
/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/retroarch.cfg
/opt/retropie/configs/<emulatorname>/retroarch.cfg

Now which of these do I have to edit? Is the es_input.cfg something like global and configs in the different emulator folders have higher priority? This is all a little confusing.

*Edit: Sorry for the misleading UI names. Corrected.

Let’s get some definitions going:

Emulationstation - the frontend to select the games
Retroarch ui - the menu inside retroarch emulators

There is no retropie ui or retropie setup script!

The es_input.cfg file only is for emulationstation, the frontend.

…/emulators/retroach/retroarch.cfg is the cfg that overwrites all other places of retroarch.cfg.
…/configs/all/retroarch.cfg is the file that should be altered to get other options passed to retroarch. Like joypad configuration.
…/configs/all/retroarch-joypads is the folder where automatically configured joypad configurations are stored.

If nothing works anymore when you altered one of the file or new changes doesn’t have any effect, it could be good to start with a new installation.
A better way is to keep backups of the unmodified files before altering them.

3 Likes

I will give it a go, but don’t take this as canon:

es_input.cfg will define your controls in emulationstation (the gui you usually use to select the rom/system you want to launch). From what little I understand, any commands here will get passed to all libretro emulators. If you delete it, emulationstation will create a new one the next time it is launched, asking you to define the controls for any devices attached.

/configs/all/retroarch.cfg sets global configuration options, like display options, sound options, default emulators for each system, hotkeys and anything else you think about.

Note: the cfg file on each emulator directory will override these configurations for that emulator only.

Kk, got it. Thanks to both of you for explaining!

I will start a new fresh install. Before that, I wanted to know if the retrosmc installation script needs to be run with sudo ? It seems that it runs without but in my last try, emulationstation menu was incomplete (no megadrive and no sns)… I was wondering if it is the reason.

You shouldn’t need sudo as sudo can be used without asking for a password anyway.
I have some sudos in my script when it needs root access to fix the filepermissions for example and when extracting to /.

1 Like

Well, just tried a few snes roms with a totally new romset and so far so good. It seems like the emulators are very picky about what particular romset tu use. Finally can play super metroid.

Typically you need to have roms in the emulator folder before the emulator will appear on the dashboard. If you have roms in the folders and it still isn’t showing up then there is likely a problem.

So is rom compatibility a problem?
Or is that solvable by a good romset?

Thanks for your reply.
On my first install I had megadrive and snes menus without roms. But now, each time I uninstall and reinstall retrosmc, I never get these menus. I copied some roms in .emulationstation/gamelists/snes and '.emulationstation/gamelists/megadrive`, rebooted and relaunched EmulationStation. I still have no megadrive and snes menu entries.
What could I check to see if my config is good ?

Cause you need to put them in RetroPie/roms/snes dir

2 Likes

Thanks @Theetjuh. It works now :smile:

Hi @mcobit. I wanted to say thank you for your amazing script and also that with uninstalling / reinstalling retrosmc, all my previous problems with PS3 controller have gone: my pad is working in game without writing any custom config.
I really appreciate having OSMC as main system and the ability to access to all these emulators with ease. Moreover, having OSMC on a USB 3.0 stick make the switch very quick !
Thanks again !

1 Like