[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

Does someone has a solution to enable the vibration function of an ps3 controller? I couldn’t find an option for that … it should be supported.

I’m thinking if I should execute this new script.

I had an updated OSMC installation with the old script that provide to me a working (retro)gaming platform.

The old script have any that this don’t? For example, this cript says that only works with retroarch emulators, ¿the old have other emulators? (is to know if I loss something with the update or not)

PD: If I execute this script, It will be executed in a new installation, no updating the old.

If you are running with the old script and it works for you, you should be fine.
Especially if you use a rpi1. This will only work on the rpi2.

This new version is a different approach, that is a lot safer for your system than the old one. Also it can be completely uninstalled if you don’t want it anymore and leave the system unharmed. This is not possible with the old one as it installs a lot of (unnesessary) packages from the raspbian repo, wich is not the original repo and could cause damage if you run on a rpi2.

Yes, I have a old script installation with a RPI2, but now RetroPie 3 is out (stable version) and the old script can’t update the installation (I supose).

So I was thinking move to the new script to have an up-to-date RetroPie… but yes, my RetroPie works fine and the modifications from my version are not important. I supose that I will wait…

You can keep using it until you reinstall anyway. Then upgrade :slight_smile:

I am sorry for newbie question but, I made a bad manipulation with my controller and now, one of my megadrive game (sonic2) is always launched with its native resolution so the picture is really small in the middle of my TV. I don’t know where I can change that… Can you help me please ? Maybe delete/modify a config file somewhere ?

Just press the x button on the controller or on the keyboard when launching the rom. You should end up in a menu where you can reset the per rom settings for this game.

2 Likes

Has anyone else tried using a SNES30/NES30/FC30/etc. bluetooth controller with this with any luck? I can’t seem to get it to pair in keyboard mode, and the other modes are having other various problems.

Anybody got a Xbox 360 Wireless controller working for the actual emulators, not just the menu? Care to share the content of your /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/retroarch.cfg or /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg?

Pastebin of mine is here.

Still the same problem as above, the first time configuration dialogue takes the input of my 360 wireless controller but puts it in the keyboard section of the .cfg so I can only use the keyboard in any emulator.
When I try to configure the controller by running ./retroarch-joyconfig in /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch, I get

./retroarch-joyconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do any settings of the tutorial on how to use 360 wireless controller for Kodi interfere with using it for for the emulators?

In EmulationStation you only configure controles for emulationstation, the gui to choose an emulator and game. If you play a game, this will start with retroarch, thats why you have to configure another file.

You can do that for ALL emulators by editing retroarch.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/all/

I dont own an xbox controller, so i only can give you the configs for an ps3 controller, but this are still the configurations you have to check. Mine are as follow:

# MAKE ANALOG STICK WORKS
input_libretro_device_p1 = 5
input_libretro_device_p2 = 5
input_libretro_device_p3 = 5
input_libretro_device_p4 = 5
input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = 1
input_player2_analog_dpad_mode = 1
input_player3_analog_dpad_mode = 1
input_player4_analog_dpad_mode = 1

# SHORTCUT INPUT
input_enable_hotkey = "0"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "3"
input_load_state_btn = "14"
input_save_state_btn = "13"
input_volume_up = "11"
input_volume_down = "10"
input_menu_toggle = "12"

# INPUT SETTINGS
input_player1_a_btn = "13"
input_player1_b_btn = "14"
input_player1_x_btn = "12"
input_player1_y_btn = "15"
input_player1_l_btn = "10"
input_player1_r_btn = "11"
input_player1_l2_btn = "8"
input_player1_r2_btn = "9"
input_player1_l3_btn = "1"
input_player1_r3_btn = "2"
input_player1_start_btn = "3"
input_player1_select_btn = "0"
input_player1_left_btn = "7"
input_player1_up_btn = "4"
input_player1_right_btn = "5"
input_player1_down_btn = "6"
input_player1_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
input_player1_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
input_player1_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
input_player1_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
input_player1_r_x_plus_axis = "+2"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_x_minus_axis = "-2"
input_player1_r_x_minus_axis = "-3"

EDIT: Here are some sample configurations for an XBOX 360 Controller Home · RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Hey,

thanks for your reply and your config! I didn’t know the 360 sample on github, it’s bookmarked now.
At first, everything looked logical and like “Ah, that’s it, should be working now.” but … nothing I added or commented out in the /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg had any effect at all. Not even with input_remap_binds_enable = "true", nada, zero, niente. While ingame, keyboard input works but can’t be changed by editing any of the two .cfg files.

In this version, the game pad configuration for emulationstaltion should automatically be written for retropie, too.
Not sure if that works for keyboards too as you seem to have paired your pad in keyboard mode.

But if it works with this config. That’s great, too.

Yes, emulationstation recognized the controller as a keyboard in the initial dialogue. Maybe that’s where the problem is? I thought emulationstation and retroarch were separate from each other.

The retropie guys made some clever scripts in newer versions where they convert the emulationstation keyconfig into a retroarch configfile for that controller that gets loaded as soon as the controller gets plugged in.
Have a look some posts above. I think I ppsted the paths where tose configs get stored.

Ok so I have been trying pretty hard to get my wireless xbox360 controller to work with this setup and i’m still hitting a wall.

I set my controller up with OSMC using this method [How-to] Xbox 360 Controller OSMC

When I initially install this retrosmc (latest build, just reinstalled tonight) the setup sees my controller as a “keyboard”. I followed the instructions here: Home · RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup Wiki · GitHub in regards to the updating of “/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg” and “/home/osmc/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”. Edited both via SSH on my pc using sudo nano.
Reboot.

No difference. I’m not sure what I’m missing but it seems to have something to do with the controller not being seen as a joystick (not writing a joystick file here /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads). I think my first hurtle is trying to get the controller seen as a joystick in emulationstation? Am I correct and does anyone have any advice?

The controller does work perfectly in scummvm though. And everything aside from the analog sticks work great in emulationstation.

Exactly my problem. Thanks for someone else describing it just the way it is with my installation, I already thought I had overseen something trivial. I’ll give it a go again this evening (in ~ 12 hours), I guess emulationstation is the culprit here.

Test your Controller with

sudo jstest /dev/input/js0

Every input device should been visible in /dev/input/
If it isnt listed in there, then it is a problem with your connection to the system itself.

And if your controller is recognized as a keyboard … configure your retroarch.cfg with keyboard letters to test if your controller is recognized.

yup… no joystick in /dev/input/ only event0, event4, mice, mouse0, and mouse1… I checked the folder manually as “sudo jstest /dev/input/js0” spit back “sudo: jstest: command not found”

I’ve only used 1 keyboard and my xbox controller with the setup. I think this all has something to do with this controller setup, [How-to] Xbox 360 Controller OSMC.

I think tonight i’m going to remove the script and uninstall xboxdrv, clean up, reinstall it, and try to set the controller up again using method 3 here: Home · RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup Wiki · GitHub

I’m new to this, but if anyone has any other tips or advice before I try this, let me know. Otherwise I’ll report back my results later tonight.

I’m busy installing this right now and I have 2 NES30 controllers from 8bitdo. I’ll report back once I’m done - not yet sure how well it will all work or not.

1 Like

Same here. When I tried to install jstest via sudo apt-get install jstest, the package couldn’t be found. And jstest-gtk is just a GUI, so it’s useless here, right?

Btw, here’s the output of sudo xboxdrv:

If I delete the ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg and start retropie, I’m greeted by the initial configuration screen, just as Turgon mentioned above:

[quote]Welcome

No gamepads detected

Hold a button on your device to cinfigure it.
Press F4 to quit at any time.[/quote]

If I push and hold any button on the 360 controller then, it takes me through the configuration dialogue for the keyboard. All buttons on the 360 controller are working here, except for both analogue sticks. After finishing the dialogue, the freshly generated ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<inputList>
        <inputConfig type="keyboard" deviceName="Keyboard" deviceGUID="-1">
                <input name="a" type="key" id="8" value="1" />
                <input name="b" type="key" id="13" value="1" />
                <input name="down" type="key" id="1073741905" value="1" />
                <input name="left" type="key" id="1073741904" value="1" />
                <input name="leftbottom" type="key" id="45" value="1" />
                <input name="lefttop" type="key" id="99" value="1" />
                <input name="right" type="key" id="1073741903" value="1" />
                <input name="rightbottom" type="key" id="61" value="1" />
                <input name="righttop" type="key" id="105" value="1" />
                <input name="select" type="key" id="108" value="1" />
                <input name="start" type="key" id="32" value="1" />
                <input name="up" type="key" id="1073741906" value="1" />
                <input name="x" type="key" id="27" value="1" />
                <input name="y" type="key" id="120" value="1" />
        </inputConfig>
</inputList>

After all, at least /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg now takes input, I switched up and down for they keyboard commands just for testing and it worked as intended, ↓ on the keyboard makes the cursor ingame go up, ↑ makes it go down.

I don’t quite understand. I put the numbers from 1 to 14 to different buttons in the keyboard section of the retroarch.cfg (e. g. input_player1_a = 1) but to no avail.

Maybe the fault lies in the 360 controller setup for Kodi, as drsdroid mentioned above, and it’s better to stick to the guide on github. I’d be interested in the results. :slight_smile: Good luck to any of you trying to figure this out!

Also, I’ve found a thread (in German) of someone who got the 360 controller to work in either Kodi or the emulators, but never in both of them.