[HowTo] RetroPie and OSMC: Retrosmc - Retrogaming on OSMC

@Theetjuh Thanks for pointing this out and putting in the lines to comment on here! Matheos96 mentioned the comment workaround in the GitHub thread, too, but I was too hesitant to try.

Anyway, after two hours of compiling and text happily flashing over the second monitor, PuTTY decided to abort my session. 8[ I guess that’s how you learn to use use screen for everything longer than a couple of minutes. Next try tomorrow. Just wanted to throw in a thank you and letting you know it works in principle.

€dit: Next try threw an error message about corrupted memory after ~ 30 minutes. Hadn’t activated swap. Activated and tried again. Next error message after two hours unable to install binary for sdl2. Gave up exasperated.
Went back to the original plan. Wiped everything, installed the image from before the Stretch update, installed RetroPie, then updated OSMC with January patch, and finally applied danyeaw’s workaround.

Everything working fine now. With the RPi3 I can even enable the PS1 graphics enhancement without slowdown and enjoy Wipeout 2097 and Need for Speed High Stakes / Road Challenge with some crispy fresh pixels, yay. :smiley:

1 Like

I see that retropie with the new osmc update it crashes the unit where I have to reboot. anyone else experiencing the same issues ? I’m thinking of reverting back to the old osmc version.

@Paul_Washington Can not confirm. Just updated, now running the latest OSMC from 4th of February 2018. RetroPie, EmulationStation and the emulators themselves all work fine.

Gotta say, though, that I installed Jessie-OSMC, installed RetroPie, updated OSMC to January/Stretch, applied danyeaw’s workaround like described above, and finally updated OSMC to February.

Reinstall with an image from before the Stretch update (OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20171102.img for example) and try again.

Is there a way to get RetroPie working again post Jan update without reimaging the Pi and starting fresh?

It should work if you update the retropie-setup script and run the installerscript again.

Hi! I’ve gotten this up and running on my Raspberry Pi3, and everything is working almost perfectly. I’m using a ps4 controller. When I first launched retrosmc/emulation station from OSMC, it asked me to config the controller. I did so, it recognized everything, and all the controls work. Hitting start brings up the correct menu, etc.

However, once I open a game, the start and select menu completely stop working. Hitting start+select together doesn’t exit the game, and none of the default retroarch joypad hotkeys work.

I’ve deleted the control config file several times and reconfigured the controls, but I don’t think this is the issue because like I said the start button works fine in the emulation station frontend.

Would love any assistance here. I’ve searched this thread and around the internet and haven’t found anyone with the same problem!

Thank you!

Did you assign a hotkey or button combination for opening the RetroArch menu while running a game?

Do the start and select buttons work in their normal game function while running a game?

Are you using an original PS4 controller or a third party one?

In order to make the symbolic link independent of future libboost versions, I suggest changing it to:

sudo ln -s libboost_date_time.so libboost_date_time.so.1.55.0

Looking into the full fix script, and including already liboost-filesystem download from http, it will be something like:

wget -c http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/icu/libicu52_52.1-8+deb8u6_armhf.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/boost1.55/libboost-thread1.55.0_1.55.0+dfsg-3_armhf.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/boost1.55/libboost-chrono1.55.0_1.55.0+dfsg-3_armhf.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/boost1.55/libboost-locale1.55.0_1.55.0+dfsg-3_armhf.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/boost1.55/libboost-system1.55.0_1.55.0+dfsg-3_armhf.deb
wget -c http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/boost1.55/libboost-filesystem1.55.0_1.55.0+dfsg-3_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i lib*armhf.deb
cd /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
sudo ln -s libboost_date_time.so libboost_date_time.so.1.55.0
1 Like

By the way, besides the libboost errors fixed by the previous fixes, I’ve had some sound errors - no sound.

As retrosmc was working before, I believe it was something related to the last some updates.

I’ve found a very quick fix: just delete ~/.alsaequal.bin and restart retropie:

rm ~/.alsaequal.bin

As far as I know this file should not be there at all. Did you play around with the broken equalizer addon in kodi? This caused all kinds of audio problems in the past.

No. I didn’t. First I was fixing the issue of the libboost.
After that, the system started to report an Alsa error and no sound in games.
it was after some research I’ve found that deleting the file solves the issue.

Note that I use retrosmc 0.007 from back a while. Something might have been broken with some osmc update.

I haven’t assigned it, but I believe it should be set by default, no?

The start and select buttons do not function as start or select in game either; I.E. I can’t pause any games, and can’t get past the menu of most games. I have a secondary keyboard remote I use with the Pi, and the ENTER button on the keyboard works as a start button… sometimes. In N64 ROMs it doesn’t work at all, so I can’t play most n64 roms.

I’m using an original ps4 controller.

Like I said, the start and select buttons both work in the emulation station GUI, but when I launch a game they cease to work. I’m not sure if it’s associated, but the A and B buttons also switch positions when a game is launched. It’s like two different control config files are being referenced.

Try to assign the buttons in the emulators menus themselves. Don’t know why but retropies mapper doesn’t seem to work with your setup.

I have a problem in that I use Kodi 18. It works perfectly and was an upgrade for the original OSMC Kodi 17 image. RetroSMC works fine but NOT from the launcher in Kodi 18. I use this command via the main menu using an edited skin to allow me to add custom commands to the main menu on Kodi

System.Exec(/home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/retropie.sh)

This works perfectly and starts RetroPie a lot faster than via the launcher add-in in Kodi17, it also works in Kodi 18 perfectly (if anybody is having issues trying to get RetroSMC working in Kodi 18)

My issues are I have been trying for days to convince RetroPie to start in attract mode. Not a hope. Tried editing various scripts, managed to get an option in the main start menu to choose attract mode on startup but still boots back to the standard RetroPie interface

Changing the custom command to start attract mode via a script just reboot Kodi everytime

Tried the ‘install-attract.sh’ script which helped a bit, but the launcher isn’t even installed on Kodi 18 complaining of an invalid structure so can’t even try that. I assume Kodi 18 has changed something different to Kodi 17 with add-ons but I’m at a loss

Attract mode is installed but just won’t boot into it

Anybody got a custom command as above so I can start RetroPie Attract mode directly instead of via an add-on launcher

Changing the custom start command to this just causes Kodi to restart

System.Exec(/home/osmc/RetroPie/scripts/attract.sh)

Checked the watchdog scripts and can’t work out why it won’t start as the scripts look almost exactly the same just starting emulationstation or attract watchdogs and then either emulationstation or attract mode

Thanks

I guess the problem is caused by your keyboard being plugged in simultaneously. Unplug it, reboot the Pi, fire up RetrOSMC, enter the button assigning dialogue, and try again. Start + select not working ingame is strange, A + B switching positions even stranger.

If this doesn’t help, go for mcobit’s advice and assign them separately for every emulator you use.

RetrOSMC will be put out of work effectively with Kodi 18 since it will include RetroPlayer/libretro.

Is there any particular reason you’re not using Leia’s libs? Have you had a look at the lengthy Kodi 18 test thread?

Just tried unplugging the keyboard and rebooting, and this didn’t work either. The other problem is, if I want to reconfigure the buttons within the emulator, I’d need to use the select button to invoke the rgui, and the select button doesn’t work in the emulator!

This is like the worlds strangest issue, since the start and select buttons work perfectly in the emulationstation UI.

Is there a good way to reset the whole thing and start over to see if that fixes the problem?

Sorry to keep bothering with what seems like a menial issue, it’s super baffling because there really doesn’t seem to be a reason why this isn’t working!

Edit: another thing I just tried: I remapped start and select to the X and O buttons on the ps4 controller, and remapped A and B to the Start and Select buttons on the PS4 controller. Started Super Mario 64, tried to press X and O together (start and select) to exit the game and they once again did not work, despite working fine with the new button maps in the emulationstation gui.

Edit 2: Does this maybe have something to do with the “Hotkey Enable” button map at the end of setting up the ps4 controller? I’ve just been assigning that to the PS Button, but maybe that’s wrong… Because it seems like I’m having a similar problem to what’s described here. Although I just tried binding both select and “Hotkey Enable” to the share button on the ps4 and it still didn’t work. And the start button still doesn’t work in-game to get past the main game menu.

Edit 3: I can’t read german but someone linked this page in a thread that describes my problem and I just followed it to try to bind the start and select and hotkey buttons within retroarch… and still no dice. This is endlessly frustrating lol.

Just to make sure: After rebooting, you went through EmulationStation’s Configure Input dialogue, right?

By “assign them separately for every emulator” above I meant editing the config files via SSH / console, not via RetroArch menu ingame. I guess mcobit meant it that way, too. Sorry if it was mistakably phrased.

RetrOSMC teaches you to make a full backup of your SD card after successful installation like no other addon does before tinkering with it. :smiley:
This may sound exaggerated, but it’s best to start from scratch to rule out any misconfiguration. Backup your Kodi configuration, wipe your SD card, install the October 2017 or February 2018 image, unplug your keyboard so the only input device is your PS4 controller, install RetrOSMC, run the initial button assigning dialogue and go for a game. I’m certain it will work.

I really think the keyboard is the culprit here. The button assigning dialogue works fine if you just use one controller, but if it’s more than one, things can get quite complicated. The tutorial you linked says so, too, and recommends configuring controllers for player 2, 3, 4 by editing the config files manually.

I saw the libs in the Kodi add-ons but couldn’t convince Kodi 18 to start using any of them. It suggested that you needed to use the “Konami Code” of ‘up up down down left right left right B A’ to get the RetroPlayer menu activated then various add-ons need to be installed to use the RetroPlayer

If I don’t have a joypad attached that is recognised by Kodi 18 on the Raspberry Pi how am I supposed to press buttons A or B. maybe one reason why I gave up and went back to a fresh install of OSMC using Kodi 17.6 until its mature enough for the RetroPlayer to be easily available

But, its an amazing addition to what was a media player and is still in alpha testing though was very stable when using Kodi. I had no serious issues other than updating the skin to a KODI 18 skin when I upgraded OSMC Kodi 17 to Kodi 18 test builds and a couple of minor add-ons that didn’t like Kodi 18 but they were no real loss

I’ll wait a bit longer until the RetroPlayer part is more mature and an easily usable KODI 18 OSMC build and try again. Hopefully in a couple more months

Hi there,

Since few updates I can’t launch retrosmc anymore.
Emulstation splashscreen is displayed and then kodi got restarted.

Any ideas?

Thanks