[HowTo] YouTube - Work around 'daily limit exceeded', 'unknown kind' - Method 1

If you have ever run into either of these errors - ‘daily limit exceeded’, ‘unknown kind’ - this is one of the method’s to fix them.

It is assumed that you have Samba running on your OSMC installation and can copy files to/from the /osmc share

If you already have the add-on installed and have signed into youtube

• Open a browser window and download the zip file (towards the top right corner) from kolinger/plugin.video.youtube
  • Extract the contents to your local machine
  • Connect to the OSMC network share
  • Browse to:: \osmc\.kodi\userdata\addon_data
  • Backup addon folder for youtube:: \plugin.video.youtube
  • Replace the contents of the above folder with the contents of the zip file you downloaded.
  • Launch youtube addon and sign-out of youtube
  • Sign into youtube again (should be prompted twice to activate)

poof it works … well for me this method did!!

If you haven’t installed the add-on for youtube

• Open a browser window and download the zip file (towards the top right corner) from kolinger/plugin.video.youtube
  • Connect to the OSMC network share
  • Create a new folder under \.kodi\ (this should be at the same level as Movies/Music/TV Shows/Pictures)
  • Call it whatever name you like, test, blah, etc (for this example assume it is called Blah)
  • Place the zip file inside folder “blah” (or whatever name you gave the folder)
  • goto System > Settings > add-ons > Install from zip file > Home Folder > blah
  • You should see the name of the zip file mentioned there.
  • Select the file and let the add-on finish installing
  • Launch add-on and sign-in to you youtube account (2 activations required)

There are a few other methods out there also but this was the simplest method I found that actually worked.

I’ll document the other methods as and when I find that this work around is no longer functioning.

@Sandbird :raised_hands:

Mods - I wasn’t sure where to post this topic so I am posting it in RPi2. If this is not the correct place, my apologies.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Samba part of OSMC

Okay, sorry about that, I thought Samba was something exotic. I downloaded the file and, to facilitate the file transfer, I put Filezilla on the Mint Linux system I was using. Instructions for this, by the way, are here:

I deleted all the files in the folder [quote=“geedee, post:1, topic:13368”]
\plugin.video.youtube
[/quote]
…and replaced them with the unzipped contents of the folder you suggested. I did not restart the Pi (a Raspberry Pi B) but went to YouTube to log out. It was already logged out. I signed in with the two passwords with the system. I tried to set up a search and got the “daily limit exceeded” warning again. I logged out of the YouTube plugin, logged in again, and attempted it, and again got the “daily limit exceeded” message.

THEN, I logged out of the YouTube app, went back to FileZilla, transferred the files again (copying over the old ones), signed in with the two password process, and THIS time it worked!

Simply add to your instructions that you should log out of the YouTube plugin FIRST, then do the file transfer. Thanks!

Good to know this worked for you!!. I’ll add a note to the original article that in your case you had to logout first, so that might be the case for others also!!

Maybe also recommend that people backup and delete the userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube folder.

Note:: @tomreedtoon - had to logout of Youtube first before he followed the above process for the add-on to start working. Others might have to do the same also.

All right, it didn’t entirely work. I unplugged my Pi, and went to bed. The next morning, I plugged in, and got the “daily limit exceeded” warning again. Don’t have time to experiment today, to see if reloading folder will work. Including the backup and delete of the [quote=“Karnage, post:6, topic:13368”]
userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube folder.
[/quote] …mentioned above. The adventure continues…

Next time. Attempted to log out of the YouTube plug-in. It wouldn’t let me. So I tried to delete it. But to do that, I had to also delete the Classic Movies plug-in. Then created the “blah” folder using Filezilla, And deleted the userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube folder. Then reinstalled the plugin from the zip file found at. [quote=“geedee, post:1, topic:13368”]
kolinger/plugin.video.youtube
[/quote]
And then, did the double log-in. The plug-in works now. I will try later tonight after a reboot and see if it’s permanent. (Hopefully better than my car brake problem.)

Hi,
I think that the Youtube addon is not working anymore popping up this alert “project marked for deletion”; the issue seems that big g disable the API key of the addon; to fix it is very not easy process, but it worked for me following these steps (I did not uninstall it anyway as stated as first step) :
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200735&page=202
Anyone has a better solution?

Car brake problems!!:fearful: Hope you can get those resolved sooner than later bud!!

hopefully the youtube issue is also fixed

I have been following that thread closely and am waiting to see when big G pulls the plug on the current API.

One of my buddies ran into the same issue yesterday so I’ll be trying one of the these other methods to fix his system. If I can get it working I’ll document that as the next method!!

FWIW…
Last night I used the method explained in that kodi forum thread, which @dentaku65 refers to.

It worked for me, but it’s not simple.
I would assume that it’s the best option, since someone else won’t be using the same API key.

That thread has a link to a modified version of the addon, that evidently will occasionally require logging in and out. (to acquire a new API key from a pool)
For that reason, I figured that the custom API key method, while more complicated, is a better long term option.

Based on all the “tinkering” I have done with the “unique API key” method so far I find it to be a much more effective solution, but it is not an easy one. I think I already have 4 different docs written up and now of them looks simple and straightforward :frowning:

I will try and simplify the whole process and write up a doc on it, but I doubt I’ll be done with it in the next cpl of days. With work and life stuff … earliest I’d be able to provide a doc for testing and validation would be friday

Hi,
I did this and is working; first uninstall YouTube Addon, if there are other addon dependencies unintall them all (I had to uninstall GoPro, Bin@ural and Music Box), then uninstall Youtube addon (if you try to uninstall the addon if there are some dependencies the system alerts you), then delete the userdata/addon_data of YouTube
rm -r .kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube/
Download/install the Youtube addon of raspberryrabbit available here:
https://github.com/rasberryrabbit/plugin.video.youtube/archive/master.zip
Github code here:

Reinstall your dependencies addons if any (you’ll have your untouched data back)
It works fine and you’re not obliged to sign-in to use it

I still do not understand why Kodi official repo do not use raspberryrabbit as Youtube addon

Den

4 Likes

Umm… .kodi\userdata\addon_data is the addon settings directory, at least in OpenELEC, surely also in OSMC. Surely the zip contents should go into .kodi\addons\plugin.video.youtube instead?

Hmmm … Did I fat finger something here or did I screw this up??? Let me go back and revisit my notes …

I have been swamped (read in between the lines dumped on) at work these past few weeks. I am back now and will get back on this … using a PI3!!!

After struggling with this for a week or so I have realized this is a temp fix and not worth the hassel. I’ll be working on the API fix for this today and tomorrow as that is a better solution (even though it is more involved)
I

Tried this method last night, followed it to the letter. It allowed app functionality, aside from the one feature I was hoping would work.

When I go to “Browse Categories” and try to run “Recommended for You” I still get the “Unknown Kind” error.

Any ideas?

From what I remember you have to sign-out and then sign-in again to fix this error. You’ll have to authorize the app/plugin twice when you sign-in agin.

most everyone has stopped using this method as you have to sign-in every now and then to get a new api key from the pool.

I wrote up a another method, based on info gathered from other posts here and on other forums, where you create your own api key. It is a more involved process but since I went to that method I haven’t had to sign-out.

I’ll find that doc and post it over the weekend

I cleaned up the doc for the 2nd method and have posted it under the howto section.

Link to that article > Method-2