Ideal setup for TV, streaming and local media

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to upgrade my current system (RaspPI+OSMC) to a Vero 4k+.
I’m also thinking about adding a streaming service (no specific one in mind yet). We’ll also have satellite TV.

Is it possible to manage offline media + streaming services (e.g. via. Roku stick?) + TV via the Vero 4k+? I mean it would be nice to have one media center platform which is able to manage all three and also needing only one remote control.

Hi

It depends what streaming services you had in mind. Platforms like Netflix or Amazon Video work, but only at 720p at this time.

Sam

Hi Sam,

thanks for the quick response!
Yes, I had Netflix and Amazon in mind. So I guess this means for those two services I wouldn’t even need an additional device (Amazon Fire stick, Roku stick etc.)?

Regarding satellite TV: what’s the best option to manage TV channels via Vero4k/OSMC?

You can watch them at 720p but in my experience I still get stuttering or out of sync audio and video if the Bitrate of the content is too high.

So if you are serious about the streaming services and use them regularly get a vero for playback of your home media library and a FireStick, chromecast, Roku or Apple TV for the hassle free consumption of stream content.

Most modern TVs come with the apps for streaming services running directly on the tv so if you have a modern tv you might not need the before mentioned additional devices

If you have USB tuners, you could use TVHeadend for EPG, recording etc. This is available in the App Store.

I currently do not own a USB tuner. Anything you can recommend im combination with the Vero 4k?
Or would you rather go for a SAT>IP server?

It depends on your region and what you’re after. In the US this would be ATSC and elsewhere DVB-S2

I’m from Europe, so that would be a DVB-S2. Ideally with an CI+ module slot.

Does something like that even exist? I’m having trouble finding such a device.

You can buy USB DVB-S2 dongles, but a CI+ slot may be hard to find. You could use OSCAM, but it’s a legally grey area.

As an alternative idea, wouldn’t the following work even better?
Installing a seperate TVheadend server in my home network and having the Vero 4k connect to it as a client.

This would also work. You may be better off using PCI-Express tuners in a PC.

Hi everyone,

I hope it’s I reuse this old thread instead of opening a new one, but it should be fine since the topic is still the same.

I’'m not very happy with my tvheadend setup, so I’m looking for alternatives.
Following alternatives I came upon:

• MuMuDVB
  • DVBlast
  • Cesbo Astra

All of them should work on the RPi4 (server), but what I do not know is if they are supported by the Vero4k.
Does anyone have experience with those?

BR
noap_

What makes you unhappy?

You mean using Veor4k/OSMC/Kodi as a client for those?

MuMuDVB, seems no (MuMuDVB (Android and Linux PVR backend) PVR client addon for XBMC?)
DVBlast, seems no (DVBlast as backend with XBMC.)
Cesbo Astra, seems no ("cesbo astra" kodi - Recherche Google)

TVheadend server not running stable on RPi4, limited support from TVheadend community.
In the end this results in me not being able to watch quite some channels.

That’s too bad.

I would say tvheadend is one of the most supported and used linux based DVB-T/C/S Servers out there so it would suprize me quite a bit if you find anything more stable and better supported for the Pi4.

But as you have a Vero4k why don’t you have the TVHeadend server running on the Pi4 if it is unstable on the on the Pi4?

I guess you meant to say “server running on the Vero4k”?
I have a TBS5580 DVB-S2 tuner with CI+ modul. Back then this was not supported on Vero4k.

Yes

Well surely a special device that needs the driver to be compiled manually. But with the Vero now using a 4.9 Kernel it should be possible to do that similar as on the Pi

Since I do not know much about manually compiling drivers, I would need support here.
Can you tell me who would be able to support here? If this would get the system running better, I’m fine to pay for this.

I am confused here, how did you get it going on the Pi4 if you didn’t compile the driver?
Was part of the distribution you use? Which one would that be?