Ideal setup for TV, streaming and local media

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to upgrade my current system (RaspPI+OSMC) to a Vero 4k+.
I’m also thinking about adding a streaming service (no specific one in mind yet). We’ll also have satellite TV.

Is it possible to manage offline media + streaming services (e.g. via. Roku stick?) + TV via the Vero 4k+? I mean it would be nice to have one media center platform which is able to manage all three and also needing only one remote control.

Hi

It depends what streaming services you had in mind. Platforms like Netflix or Amazon Video work, but only at 720p at this time.

Sam

Hi Sam,

thanks for the quick response!
Yes, I had Netflix and Amazon in mind. So I guess this means for those two services I wouldn’t even need an additional device (Amazon Fire stick, Roku stick etc.)?

Regarding satellite TV: what’s the best option to manage TV channels via Vero4k/OSMC?

You can watch them at 720p but in my experience I still get stuttering or out of sync audio and video if the Bitrate of the content is too high.

So if you are serious about the streaming services and use them regularly get a vero for playback of your home media library and a FireStick, chromecast, Roku or Apple TV for the hassle free consumption of stream content.

Most modern TVs come with the apps for streaming services running directly on the tv so if you have a modern tv you might not need the before mentioned additional devices

If you have USB tuners, you could use TVHeadend for EPG, recording etc. This is available in the App Store.

I currently do not own a USB tuner. Anything you can recommend im combination with the Vero 4k?
Or would you rather go for a SAT>IP server?

It depends on your region and what you’re after. In the US this would be ATSC and elsewhere DVB-S2

I’m from Europe, so that would be a DVB-S2. Ideally with an CI+ module slot.

Does something like that even exist? I’m having trouble finding such a device.

You can buy USB DVB-S2 dongles, but a CI+ slot may be hard to find. You could use OSCAM, but it’s a legally grey area.