Image stops and buffers

After an indefinite amount of time, the picture just freezes and starts buffering… can anyone help?

here the log:

URL:https://paste.osmc.tv/vixejofule

what devices are you using?

Vero 4K+

It looks like your network connection may not be quite fast enough for the size of the file your playing. Can you try it with just an ethernet cable connected with the wireless turned off or via thumb drive?

Also, unrelated, but you really should change your UI resolution to 1080P as the 4K resolution you have it set to now is suboptimal.

The problem also exists over a LAN connection (wifi disabled). I had already tested that. Sometimes the picture freezes after 2 minutes, sometimes only after 1 hour. Depending on the 4K film, sometimes not at all.

With Apple TV Infuse everything runs without problems.

Maybe something can be repaired via SSH?

But only when playing via the network though, right? Can you turn off the SMBv2 MTU fix in settings>services>SMB client and see if that fixes it. That patch is no longer needed and has been identified as causing another issue. It will be removed in the next release.

You could also try a system mount as they tend to be faster than having Kodi do the networking…

Yes. When playing over the network.

I’ve never had any issues with 4K content. This problem has only existed for a while. I can’t say exactly since when though.

Anyway… I will test it without SMBv2 MTU fix.

Sorry, Mounting network shares with autofs is too complicated for me.

Would a OSMC reinstall fix the problem?

I doubt it. Try the SMBv2 thing. I would have mentioned it straight away but didn’t think to check when I first glanced at the logs. It isn’t super common nowadays for people to be needing for force SMBv2 like your doing.

SMBv2. Unfortunately, deactivating it didn’t help.

After 1 hour 42 minutes the picture started to shake and then recovered.

Here is the log:

URL: https://paste.osmc.tv/elomabokuq

You didn’t deactivate it…
<setting id="smb2.fixmtu">true</setting>

Also your still running a 4K GUI
GUI Resolution: 3840x2160 @ 50p

SMBv2. was deactivated. See photo.

Or where should I deactivate it?

Why shouldn’t I use a 4K GUI (3840x2160 @ 50p)?

I have a 4K Oled TV and I want to watch 4K movies too.

We recommend people with 4K TVs set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate>Always

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K.

*Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

I don’t read German but it looks like the legacy security is disabled and the MTU fix option is enabled in that pic. You may also need to reboot for that setting to take effect. As for the 4K GUI it can cause all kinds of issues. Setting it to 1080p isn’t going to make your video play different but it may help with your issue as it is less of a burden when it needs to do video overlay.

Many thanks in advance… I will test it

Hi,

I tested it again with the settings above. Unfortunately without success… after 1 hour 25 minutes the picture freezes again.

Here is the log:

URL:https://paste.osmc.tv/uqizixebiz

I’ve now tested it again with Apple TV Infuse and the picture doesn’t freeze… so there must be a problem with the Vero4K+.

That’s strange! Almost 2 hours everything runs problems and then suddenly the picture freezes.

what else can do?

I found out something else. The films that have been jerking and freezing so far are on an external USB hard drive.

This hard drive is connected to my Synologie NAS.

If I copy these films to the Synologie NAS and play them from there, nothing freezes.

Does anyone have an idea why the movies freeze when playing from the USB hard drive?

Strangely enough, the movies run without problems for a very long time and suddenly they start to freeze.

The USB hard drive has only 200GB of free space of 4TB. Maybe it’s because of that?

A drive as full as that may be quite heavily fragmented - has it been defragged? Also, is the drive connected directly to the Vero 4K’s USB port, or are you using a powered USB hub? If you’re connecting directly it may be starved for power.

The USB drive is connected to the Synology NAS via USB. There is no extra power supply.

I had also tried connecting the drive directly to USB through the Vero4k+. I noticed that the drive is only recognized with great difficulty and the Vero4k crashes.

The drive was not defragmented.

With the Apple TV Infuse I don’t have this problem, only when playing through the Vero4k. Infuse plays all movies from the USB drive connected to the Synology with no problems.

Can something be optimized on the Vero4K+ so that the films can be played without problems?

It is very likely that your bus powered drive is consuming more power than the USB 2.0 spec that the Vero conforms to so for that kind of a setup running it through a USB hub that has its own power supply would be the way to go. If the USB port on your NAS isn’t designed to supply as much current as your drive is consuming you may have a similar issue there. Note that in this kind of situation where a drive that consumes more than 500mA is plugged into a a port not designed to supply more than that then it may work fully or partially but degradation may happen over time with the host devices power supply, current protection circuits, or with the drive itself in the form of lack of data integrity.

There is also a relevance to the drive itself. Drives that have this high of a platter density don’t expect to have perfect data read/write ability so they have to perform some special tricks to keep your data intact. Part of this involves reading how strongly the data is stored whenever it is accessed and when it sees an issue it silently will rearrange and rewrite data to a better part of the disk. It can also do extra read/write operations if the drive is SMR, especially when the drive fills up, and you don’t have control over when it performs these tasks. You also no longer really have full control over how fragmented a drive is as the operating system no longer interacts that low of a level with the drive.

In this case I would recommend connecting your drive to a PC via a USB 3 or better port and using diagnostic tools from the manufacturer of your drive run a long drive self test. This will take many hours but this may give an indication of if the drive is failing, but also as it will read from every sector of the drive it should get the internal housekeeping tasks out of the way. After that either make sure it is run from a USB 3 port designed for higher current devices or else through a self powered hub.

In the future though if you find yourself looking for a replacement it would be better going for larger form factor external drives that have their own power supplies. They are faster and more reliable generally speaking than ones that use the 2.5" spinning rust drives inside.