Install and configure wifi usb receiver

Hello, I’ve bought a BrosTrend wifi adapter to have 5ghz on my Raspberry Pi 2 running osmc. The problem I have is I’m not able to install the wifi driver. If I’m not wrong I need to install 8821cu driver but after some attempts I couldn’t get it working.

Can someone help me with this? :slight_smile:

Hi,

With the dongle plugged in, please provide the output of:

lsusb

It may need installing, so if you get command not found, please install with:

sudo apt-get install usbutils

Thanks Tom

This is what I get with the lsusb:

osmc@osmc:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I think it’s the firmware-misc-nonfree package you need to install.

1 Like

I have a similar wifi dongle on a Pi2 running a freesh osmc install (VERSION_ID=“2023.01-1”).
lsusb result:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

When attempting to install firmware-misc-nonfree I get the following…

Unpacking firmware-misc-nonfree (20210315-3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-misc-nonfree_20210315-3_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/mediatek/mt7610u.bin', which is also in package base-files-osmc 3.2.5
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Same result after sudo apt-get udate and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It looks like the two packages attempt to write the same file which would normally be a conflict and a bug. I am new to OSMC therefore the question: Is this a bug or does osmc have another package where the drivers are instead of relying on firmware-ralink aka firmware-misc-nonfree? Any hints?

Thank you

p.s. After writing I realized the post is older than I thought. Still the error I get is current…

The firmware is already provided.

Then I need to see further. Good it was not a bug.
Thank you :+1: :pray:

Hi again sam_nazarko,

It looks like the driver is absent… see this solution.

I’ll reply on the other post.