Installing Mullvad VPN - Debian not working on Vero 4K

I had been using another VPN but thought I would change to an European sourced supplier rather than US.
I had been attempting to do a straight Debian installation but it seems The Vero 4k requires a different branch of Debian. I do not have details in front of me but are there different versions and which should I be using with the Vero?
Budgie

How are you trying to configure this VPN?

Hi Sam,
I had been guided by the Mullvad installation instructions for linux not using their app. I have logged into the device suing ssh and run the debian commands as suggested. Here is what I have to date:-

osmc@osmc-alastair:~$ wget --trust-server-names https://mullvad.net/download/app/deb/latest
--2024-09-16 15:12:06--  https://mullvad.net/download/app/deb/latest
Resolving mullvad.net (mullvad.net)... 45.83.223.209
Connecting to mullvad.net (mullvad.net)|45.83.223.209|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
--2024-09-16 15:12:07--  https://mullvad.net/en/download/app/deb/latest
Reusing existing connection to mullvad.net:443.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://cdn.mullvad.net/app/desktop/releases/2024.5/MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb [following]
--2024-09-16 15:12:07--  https://cdn.mullvad.net/app/desktop/releases/2024.5/MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb
Resolving cdn.mullvad.net (cdn.mullvad.net)... 45.149.104.1
Connecting to cdn.mullvad.net (cdn.mullvad.net)|45.149.104.1|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 92402688 (88M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb’

MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.d 100%[====================================>]  88.12M  4.56MB/s    in 23s     

2024-09-16 15:12:30 (3.81 MB/s) - ‘MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb’ saved [92402688/92402688]

osmc@osmc-alastair:~$ ls
 Movies   MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb   Music   Pictures  'TV Shows'
osmc@osmc-alastair:~$ sudo apt install ./MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'mullvad-vpn:amd64' instead of './MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb'
Recommended packages:
  libappindicator3-1:amd64
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  mullvad-vpn:amd64
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/92.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 364 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 /home/osmc/MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb mullvad-vpn amd64 2024.5 [92.4 MB]
dpkg: error processing archive /home/osmc/MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 package architecture (amd64) does not match system (armhf)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/osmc/MullvadVPN-2024.5_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
osmc@osmc-alastair:~$

I assume the issue is the armhf package architecture. Is there a solution and will I have the same problem with other VPN sources such as PIA or Surfshark? I am happy to try but would appreciate a better understanding of the issues and sources of arm ports.
Thanks again for your reply.
Budgie

For operation of VPN, it’s not needed to install a VPN provider’s custom applications. They usually do this as a matter of convenience and branding.

I don’t know what problems you have experienced.
As advised here, the Zomboided VPN add-on is probably the best approach now: Installing and running a VPN on my Vero 4K - #2 by sam_nazarko.

Cheers

Sam

Sam I think the clue was in the x64! I had forgotten not all vpn providers use 32 bit. I believe this is my problem with Mullvad. Am I right?

I have therefore tried PIA and so far so good. Using a wired lan connection I have been able to get my PIA vpn system working well. I usually have VPN disabled for normal use as I only use vpn for web sites not for my normal networking within my network.

My problem is with if my Vero 4K+ when powered off. On connecting power it takes a couple of minutes before the remote control responds after the main kodi screen is showing. In other words I cannot move down from “Videos” to Programmes or Settings for a couple of minutes. Since my Vero 4K+ does not start using VPN I assume this is not the cause of the delay. How can I find out what is causing this delay please?

I should add that my remote is not working at all. Can I upload the log to you from the cli as I can log in using ssh no problem?

Hi Sam,
Tracked my problem with remote to dodgy HDMI cable. All OK for now thanks.

You are trying to install an AMD-64 package. This would be for x64 CPUs like AMD or Intel. It is not related to OSMC’s current use of armhf over arm64.

You don’t need to install third party packages as long as these providers use OpenVPN or Wireguard. They are also desktop apps and OSMC does not provide a desktop interface by default.

Most reputable VPN providers specifically provide instructions for how to configure them on OSMC.