Internet Browser

I have installed OSMC, but I cannot figure out how to install or get the internet browser. I looked in the Programs, get more, but don’t see it.

There is none as of yet.

We hope to add a basic web browser by the time we hit our beta phase

2 Likes

Thanks very much!

Any update on this? Or will it be in the gold release? :slight_smile:

When it is ready

2 Likes

Awesome!

Great work on osmc btw.

So… since OSMC is based on Debian Jessie (i think i have that right), can we not load a browser using apt-get? Perhaps Epiphany?

I’m in the middle of installing:
sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser

I’ll post another reply after it’s finished (reporting 44 minutes to go)

That’s going to require X11 and not be accelerated.

Well Sam, it indeed did not work, but i’m not sure i get the connection between X11 and the error message that i get. But let’s skip to the crux of the issue; I’m attempting to get TVheadend up and going, but i need to configure using a browser. So, unless i get a browser installed, i think i’m hosed. Any other suggestions? Will epiphany work if i install X11 packages?

Use a browser on the LAN

so connect to the server from remote machine, running a browser of choice, using the server address to include the RPi… brilliant

edit: so turns out this is outlined on the kodi wiki page; http://kodi.wiki/view/Tvheadend_PVR

Thanks Sam and team for all you guys are doing!

As a temporary solution (until we have the official one), I compiled the Qt5 example browser.
You can then run it in the framebuffer. You can event create a launcher from kodi with advanced launcher.
It works pretty well but is not harware accelerated.

1 Like

Can I install a web browser now and if so how as now we are on RC2?

i figured out how to access the console to install stuff:

exit OSMC and hit ESC really fast before it restarts. There I can login as user osmc, pass osmc and enter

sudo su

Can you please write a small manual guide how a newbie could achieve this? Which commands do I have to enter on the console?

Just to be clear, a newbie should not do it… You will have to install packet, and this will possibly (likely) break your OSMC install.

If you want to try anyway, you can start by trying with arora (a qt browser). For some reason, it is limited in size and is slow.

install arora

sudo apt-get install arora

launch

arora -platform “linuxfb” -plugin EvdevMouse -plugin “EvdevKeyboard:grab=1” -

1 Like

OSMC announces development of its official browser Ocelot at OSMC Release Candidate 3 lands - OSMC. This will be hardware accelerated on all platforms.

Sam

2 Likes

This is really great news !

On the Raspberry pi 2, will a remote control function with the new Ocelot browser without a mouse or keyboard? Will Ocelot support Netflix?

Ocelot will use a unified input layer.

No news on Netflix.