Is it normal that 25 fps content is played back at 50Hz on TV?

Not sure If I just havent noticed before…

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 59 min 2 s
Bit rate : 14.2 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.275
Stream size : 5.87 GiB (96%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2665 a01e339
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=17.5 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.80
Default : Yes
Forced : No

In short: it depends.

What version of Kodi are you using?

The latest official release 2018.10-1

This topic should provide more detail: 25Hz content playing back at 50Hz

Sam

Will this be improved in 18 ?

You could use the whitelisting feature to change the behaviour here; or you can use the advancedsettings.xml workaround suggested

1 Like

24fps often looks like **** on a movie screen as well… 24fps just isn’t enough to cover movement, both by the talent and by the camera.
Plex Lucky Patcher Kodi

Tom Cruise is on a mission to get all that motion blur bollox switched off by default. He says 24fps shows movies the way they are meant to be seen ……. everything else is soap opera ….

1 Like

According to the the person in the thread you mentioned the setting doesn’t work 25Hz content playing back at 50Hz - #24 by RichieB

I agree with him. :slight_smile:

same.

I’m a bit puzzled by this thread.

Yes, Tom Cruise is right, motion interpolation is evil; but a 25fps video played at 50Hz isn’t using motion interpolation, it’s simply playing each frame twice.

Given that the great majority of TVs and projectors nowadays uses a sample-and-hold approach - each picture is displayed steadily for the duration of the frame, and then it switches almost-instantaneously to the next picture - there can’t be any visible difference between 25Hz and 50Hz output.

So, unless the 50Hz signal is one that the TV’s HDMI inputs can’t handle, I don’t see why playing 25fps at 50Hz would be a problem. Can someone enlighten me?

Not sure what the technical reasons are but I have definitely noticed a difference between the two - although its only a few TV shows I am not bothered.

Btw, The Hobbit was filmed in 50Hz and came in for a lot of criticism. My gf hates the clarity - too much detail on the orcs - she hides behind her hands :slight_smile:

The Hobbit films were shot at 48fps, and TV shows are sometimes shot at 50 or 60 frames per second (or, more precisely, 50 or 60 interlaced fields per second which are deinterlaced to 50 or 60 frames at playback).

There is a world of difference between something that consists of 48, 50 or 60 unique frames per second, and something which consists of 24 or 25 frames per second with each frame shown twice. The latter is what this thread was originally about (before entirely off-topic discussions about motion interpolation and high-frame-rate sources crept in).

Yes i meant 48fps (or 2x bau). Was just saying …

Regardless, i have noticed a difference in 25fps material playing at 50fps. Unless it’s my imagination …