Jerky playback and no sound on some videos

Are you using Kodi’s built in NFS client ? EG in the Video source you have nfs://something ? If so, there has been quite a lot of discussion about this in another thread. There seems to be an issue with libNFS in Kodi, although quite why it seems to be more noticable on the Vero 2 at the moment we’re not sure.

It’s very likely that if you switch to a Kernel NFS mount your buffering problem will be solved. There are various tutorials out there so it’s not too difficult, so here’s a brief explanation of what to do.

First create a directory under /mnt to mount your remote nfs file system. I call mine Mac-Mini:

sudo mkdir /mnt/Mac-Mini

Now add a new entry for it in /etc/fstab. Here is an example to get you started: (leave the existing line in place and add this as a new line, all as one line)

192.168.0.10:/Users/admin/Movies /mnt/Mac-Mini nfs noatime,noauto,x-systemd.automount,nfsvers=3,nolock,nofail,local_lock=all,soft,retrans=2,tcp 0 0

Replace the IP address with the IP address of your NFS server (if it has a static IP) or it’s hostname, and the path immediately after that with your NFS export path. The second path is to the mount point you just created.

Once you have saved that try mounting it, replace the path with the correct one for your system:

sudo mount /mnt/Mac-Mini

(The mount options I gave will also cause it to auto mount on boot)

If you look in that folder you should now see files on your NFS server. You now need to change your video sources. Unless you use path substitution in advancedsettings.xml you will need to remove your existing TV Shows and Movies sources and re-add them. This time instead of choosing NFS browse to “Root Filesystem” then mnt then whatever you called yours instead of Mac-Mini, then to your Movie or TV Shows folder and add the source as before.

Give that a try and see if it helps. While performance of the built in NFS client in Kodi doesn’t seem to be nearly as good as it should be for reasons we haven’t worked out yet, a Kernel NFS mount will always be faster than Kodi’s built in NFS client even if this issue wasn’t there, so if you are trying to squeeze every last drop of streaming performance out you are best to stay with the Kernel mount if it helps for you.

1 Like