Kernel modules missing for the PCTV 292e DVB stick

Sure, which ones (from the log uploader) do you need? Also, where do the logs get stored when using “Copy to SD card”?

In /boot, the FAT32 partition.

Yep, found it already.

There you go: https://paste.osmc.tv/utefiyakor (kodi.log omitted as it’s entirely unrelated)

I don’t see any additional hints though…

Thanks

At this point it might be an issue with the stick specifically

Here you mention a “final ioctl issue”. Is that one still pending?

Cheers

If you’re running the test TVHeadend build, then it’s been fixed. If there was still an issue with ioctl() then I don’t think anyone would be able to successfully run a tuner at all.

It might be a tuner specific issue here. Just to confirm: you are running the TVHeadend build from Dropbox?

Sam

Yes, but other than the (standard) procedure described above I’ve no way to prove it as the version number is the same as for the official build that’s part of the July update.

We’ll see what Olli in the neighboring thread (and his more or less identical device) reports back.

There will be a new, bumped version soon.
But OK: sounds like it may be tuner related unfortunately. I will see if anything can be done; we’re currently using 4.4 modules.

Yep, unfortunate it is indeed as it works just fine on the RPi’s 4.4 kernel and it’s one of the most ubiquitous devices (its components, not the actual brand), as was its predecessor.

Is there a way I can get hold of one of these? Where could I buy one on Amazon UK (concerned about underlying chipset)

We’re planning to launch our own DVB-T2 dongle (which is working well on Vero 4K); but I’d like to see support for as many devices as possible.

Sam

There you go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004C1176E

Thanks – I’ll order one and see what can be done

Sam

I'll order one and see what can be done

To all visitors: THIS IS WHAT WHOLEHEARTED SUPPORT LOOKS LIKE!

Get your Vero, get and support OSMC!

1 Like

Just a quick follow-up: the August update didn’t change anything. But granted, the changelog didn’t mention any DVB related improvement so that was honestly to be expected.

Do you have a quick update for @olli and me? I presume you got hold of the 292e in the meantime. Did you find the time to look into it yet?

Cheers

Hi

I received the device but haven’t made complete progress yet.

We can get the module to load properly and probe properly. The last problem is ioctls and 64 -> 32 bit pointer handling.

It’s still being worked on.

A Vero 4K user on this forum has been testing preproduction OSMC DVB-T2 units as well and we are working to improve support for all adapters.

Sam

Yep, that’s the final obstacle it seems. Would love to see it fixed.

Hi Sam,

I just bought a Vero 4K and am having exactly the same problem with my PCTV 292e DVB-T2 stick: The stick is recognized but the mux scan fails.

I hope that the issue is fixed soon. I bought the Vero 4K especially for this functionality.

Regards,
Geoff

Hello Geoff,

Yes – it’s still being worked on. I hope to have some testing available soon.

Sam

Hi,

Please see this post:

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the update. If you want me to reply in the testing thread let me know…

Not sure what you changed but it seems the limited device support now got fully removed again as there’s no DVB-related driver showing up on device connect:

[  444.021943] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci-hcd
[  444.162699] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=2013, idProduct=025f
[  444.162748] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
[  444.162777] usb 1-2: Product: PCTV 292e
[  444.162804] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: PCTV
[  444.162831] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: MYSERIALHERE

That’s all there is, unfortunately, but your latest post sounds like you removed all backports on purpose, in favor of those devices already supported by the upstream 3.14 kernel. I’m curious, since you bought the device in question here a while ago, did you get it to work at your end with the new implementation?

Cheers