Kodi 16 keeps on crashing (sad face) every 14-15minutes

Since updating to Kodi 16 with the most recent OSMC update, I am experiencing repeating crashes. Kofi crashes consistently every 14-15 minutes. This is independent from what Kodi is doing: it might happen when viewing a video but also when Kodi is idling in its own menus.

I am running Kodi 16 on a Raspberry Pi 2, with uname -a displaying

Linux osmc 4.4.1-1-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 15 01:00:53 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

I have since this started to occur disabled most of my add-ons and also uninstalled a btsync service I was also running on the same Pi2. I have switched debug loggin on, rebooted and uploaded the logs to http://paste.osmc.io/fodemalebu.

In the system log file, I keep on seeing the following lines when Kodi crashes:

Mar 01 23:30:36 osmc mediacenter[284]: terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::bad_alloc’
Mar 01 23:30:36 osmc mediacenter[284]: what(): std::bad_alloc
Mar 01 23:30:36 osmc mediacenter[284]: Kodi exited with return code 134 after 0 hours, 14 minutes and 12 seconds

Please help as the viewing experience currency is awful (having to recover from a Kodi crash every 15 minutes…)

had a similar issue and fixed it like this:

1.) take copy of your .kodi folder
2.) delete .kodi folder
3.) restart mediacenter
4.) reconfigure your settings

not a nice solution but osmc works again stable without reinstalling everything

Thanks ratelutz, I did it and it seems to work. No crash in the last 2 hours…!

its only a workaround it would be good to know the real issue

Most likely it was caused by an addon doing a periodic library scan. The watchdog addon does this but it is also a feature of many addons which can’t be discussed here…

So, what is the best method, if any of making a ‘list’ backup of installed addons? I can rsync my addon dir from a backup location, but since that is causing issues, installing from a backed up list opposed to searching for each addon would be the fastest method.

Yes I have seen addons do that. I have 4 pi-2’s running with 6.0 with all updates the ones with a lot of addons does the sad face a lot. But that doesn’t mean ones with no addon don’t either. My main Pi that we use for HDhomerun only addon does the sad face at least once a week. No over clocking and with a verified 2 amp usb using a nice scan disk SD card.

Also note to the others the cheaper SD cards also corrupt easly.
I do have a extensive library 2500 movies and several thousands of TV episodes stored as my HDhomerun 3 tuner is like a puppy mill loading up my servers :slight_smile: